Keeping your model "Dust Free" after gloss coating..

i have a cheap, soft brush meant for dusting off vinyl records that i constantly use in between painting sessions and especially before clear coating. and a couple of smaller cheap makeup brushes for getting into tight spaces. they work pretty well. 

don't know how to deal with dust & slow drying paint tho. i've seen some Gundam modelers use an enclosed dish dryer to speed up drying times & keep their stuff covered while doing it but it always seemed like overkill to me. 

If I am reading your question correctly...

Immediately after shooting the gloss coat, I cover the model with a suitable (depending on the size) plastic cover....cake plate covers, Tupperware bins etc.

You want plastic vs cardboard or the like, so that fibers don't get attracted to the gloss coat.

Leave one side slightly elevated to allow air circulation so the paint can cure/dry.

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary
21 hours ago, Ed DeVivo said:

What do you guys do in order to keep your model dust free, after shooting a coat of gloss or slow drying paint? 

Just what Bob said above.

From my experience, I find useful rubbing the plastic cover with a wool cloth, so it electrically charges, attracting the dust on itself.

Regards

Euge

On 8/16/2023 at 3:22 PM, Bob Beary said:

If I am reading your question correctly...

Immediately after shooting the gloss coat, I cover the model with a suitable (depending on the size) plastic cover....cake plate covers, Tupperware bins etc.

You want plastic vs cardboard or the like, so that fibers don't get attracted to the gloss coat.

Leave one side slightly elevated to allow air circulation so the paint can cure/dry.

Bob

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.. Have to find a large glass/plastic cover. 

Thank you all for the suggestions! -Ed

• 2 months later...

First thing to do is minimize the dust in your hobby space.  I have a 20 x 20 box fan with a 20 x 20 x 4 HEPA furnace filter taped to the intake side running 24/7 in my hobby room.  I also have a cheap fiberglass filter over the vent where my A/C comes into the room.  I keep the door closed when I am not in there. Before I paint, I go in the room and blow off my painting area and surrounding spaces to kick up any settled dust so that the fan/filter can get it. I put the fan on the table or as close by as I can and use my airbrush hose to blow everything toward the fan.  Then I let the fan do its thing for about 30 minutes before I actually paint.  When I am painting gloss coats, I only apply it to half the model at a time so that I have some place to hold the model and set it in a jig when done.  I paint it and set it inside a plastic tote box to let the first half dry, then apply the gloss to the second half the next day.  If I find some dust, I very carefully sand it out with 800 grit, then finer grits, or spray that area again with gloss.

If you have any pets, keep them out of your hobby area no matter what.