Jump to content

Italeri 1/48 SR-71A Blackbird - renovation project


Recommended Posts

...the camera screens look like ice cubes waiting for some whiskey, for example. 🙂

A very nice placement of the PE pieces - definitely make a difference. Btw, what do you plan for the panel lines and the zig-zag RAM lines along the edges? - maybe some sanding and rescribing, or just leave them higher than the surfaces?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

...the camera screens look like ice cubes waiting for some whiskey, for example. 🙂

A very nice placement of the PE pieces - definitely make a difference. Btw, what do you plan for the panel lines and the zig-zag RAM lines along the edges? - maybe some sanding and rescribing, or just leave them higher than the surfaces?

Thanks, great to it worked on the camera screens.

For the raised panel lines, I think I leave them as they are. I don’t have the right tools nor the experience to rescribe them.

But with other finished models, recent Voodoo/Starfighter/Super Sabre, I found a way how to use them and bring them out on the right way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started increasing the space for the Star Tracker behind the rear cockpit.

Anybody any advice how big this should be, and how and with what to fill the additional space of the increased circle?

 

 

IMG_2550.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2023 at 7:22 PM, davetur said:

Hi Bastian, not sorry for the disassembled Blackbird... it will sure come out better.

One thing you may want to consider, since the nose is now disassembled, is to correct the planform shape of the nose.

The Testors/Italeri shape is midway between the A-12 and the real SR-71: a picture from an ancient IPMS Italy bulletin will clarify what I mean. The kit is in between the gray and the white shapes below.

OMh8Hzu.jpg

 

When I did mine, ages ago, I simply added a plastic card shape and blended in with putty... this is how it came out.

And I enlarged the hole for the star tracker (on the spine between the cockpit and the refuelling receptacle). The kit's one is tooooooo small.

YlQiIWY.jpg

 

Cheers

Davide

Hello Davide, could you let me know which size in mm you made the opening for the star tracker?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bastian, I measured 8 mm diameter. Don't ask how I chose 8mm because I can't remember...

I filled the hole with a simple transparent disc... it has yellowed with time.

I also put some shiny material below it.

But in case you want to do something better, in this thread I found this interesting link to a page showing the SR-71 Astroinertial Navigation System.

Cheers

 

27CMXrh.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, davetur said:

Hi Bastian, I measured 8 mm diameter. Don't ask how I chose 8mm because I can't remember...

I filled the hole with a simple transparent disc... it has yellowed with time.

I also put some shiny material below it.

But in case you want to do something better, in this thread I found this interesting link to a page showing the SR-71 Astroinertial Navigation System.

Cheers

 

27CMXrh.jpg

 

Excellent, many thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ExchefAndy said:

Would pva type glue be the go? Just a drop, let it dry and add a little more. It dries clear and fills in the gaps. 

Just an idea!

Andy

Worth a try Andy, will first test it somewhere else on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking through my stash of left-overs from previous kits to find anything relevant to add more detail to the Blackbird, for the antennas under the fuselage and the transparent part over the star tracker

 

 

IMG_2593.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BastianD said:

Found some thin transparent plastic sheet in my stash, used a perforator and tadaa: looks like the right size to cover the increased Star Tracker opening:

 

 

 

 

👍 That's most probably how I did it 😉... more than 30 years ago!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on the star tracker. The opening has been enlarged, but still using the original piece as it can have a function of the internal lense that is inside.

Trying to replicate this, and think it might work quite well. Just need to cover the interior with a black sheet so that the lense even stands out better.

 

IMG_2601.jpeg

IMG_2602.jpeg

IMG_2603.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah great… the version I intend to build didn’t have the OCB in the nose, hence on the Afterburner decals they advise just to cover the seems for this AND the 4 clear window parts that are shining now as ice cubes…

 

 

IMG_2604.jpeg

IMG_2605.jpeg

IMG_2606.jpeg

IMG_2548.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...