Italeri 1/48 SR-71A Blackbird - renovation project

Hi Bastian,

Quite a difference the job you've done with those itake grills. I wonder what you'd have been able to see through them on the real thing; the engine, perhaps?

I've got a Revell 1/48 Sled kit fuselage spare with the clear parts + ASARS nose I purchased from a guy who use to sell spares on evilBay. I'm wondering whether or not one could graft the nacelle/wing assembly on the Italeri kit onto the Revell kit fuselage. That would be great, as I'm not going to try to correct the whole forward fuselage/nose section in the former kit.

The idea is to adapt the whole fuselage on the Revell kit to everything that was left on the Italeri kit (cockpit and nacelle/wings assemblies), and both the nose and main landing gear wells on the Metallic Details set (which was devised for the Italeri kit).

Of course the nacelle/wing assemblies on the Italeri kit will have to take rescribing.

Are there any ResKit afterburner cans for the Italeri kit?

Cheers,

Gwendoline 

Hello Gwendoline, thanks for your

message.

when I look now through the grills, it’s just open space 😁

So I need to insert something that is dark and takes out the emptiness. No idea what normal the view is through the grills.

For your question on the Revell kit, I have no idea cos I’ve never had it in my hands.

i would me carefull of putting two brands together, as the fit and set-up can be totally different.

for the Italeri I have not been able to find ResKit exhausts.

cheers Bastian

You're braver than me, as I hate PE. I've just never had the skill to deal with it.

But those grills will add a really nice depth once everything is finished!👍

Andy

12 hours ago, ExchefAndy said:

You're braver than me, as I hate PE. I've just never had the skill to deal with it.

But those grills will add a really nice depth once everything is finished!👍

Andy

Thanks Andy, it works so far, let’s see what the end result will be.

for sure I need to fill up inside the two engine bays otherwise it’s a see-through.

I can see what you are talking about with the see through effect, any ideas in regards to filling the void? 

The Revell kit comes with both the engines for display on the base as you probably know, and I haven't used them. Would they be of any use, as I could ship them off to you with the instructions

Andy

12 minutes ago, ExchefAndy said:

I can see what you are talking about with the see through effect, any ideas in regards to filling the void? 

The Revell kit comes with both the engines for display on the base as you probably know, and I haven't used them. Would they be of any use, as I could ship them off to you with the instructions

Andy

Thanks Andy for offering, but I think I’ll try to fill them an easy way: a piece of paper folded to a long pipe, spray it dark and insert it inside to prevent the see-through.

In the end, the exhausts of the Italeri kit are closed anyway.

A simple solution to solve the see-through behind the grills, but still keep the depth behind the grill: a piece of paper rolled to a pipe and inserted in the engine bay.

If I spray the front part in black, or perhaps dark grey, then it will give the right effect.

IMG_3233.jpeg

Working on the interior of the exhausts, thanks to some great suggestions on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/cM0nHtFBfJI?si=1Mfxv-Ym7yuFdf41

The burner cans have a soft white fading, after first a matte black primer which was scribed off the metal etched parts partly. I want to recreate the worn look of the cans themselves, and finish them later with soft layers of metal and copper mixed.

IMG_3244.jpeg

IMG_3241.jpeg

IMG_3243.jpeg

First and 2nd section of each engine exit weathered and glued in place.

Third piece work to be done on weathering with metal and copper colours, and burnt iron. It should be the finishing touch of the rest end.

Getting there 😄

IMG_3244.jpeg

IMG_3257.jpeg

IMG_3243.jpeg

And final step for the exhausts: the burner cans.

After a dark wash to fill up the gaps, and a matte coating, I’ve glued them both in place.

WAYYYYYY different then it used to be! 🤩 

IMG_3321.jpeg

IMG_3322.jpeg

IMG_3323.jpeg

And then there was depth… mission accomplished!

The paper inside the engine bays is colouring nice into black with the primer on, just some spots to pin slightly the paint through.

IMG_3342.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Back after a week of holidays, and went straight into making the bird black.

The light grey lines show up pretty nicely faded from the black, quite happy with it.

What do you think, end of the upper fuselage another layer of black, or leave as it is?

IMG_3472.jpeg

IMG_3473.jpeg

IMG_3474.jpeg

IMG_3475.jpeg