Doing different scales?

I, like most of my contemporaries, started in 1/72nd and as I got older and vision was not quite as acute I moved to 1/48th. Then about 20 years ago I started 1/32nd, I haven't abandoned 1/48th just branching out a bit. On a lark I built the 1/24th Airfix Hurricane and enjoyed that (may do more in the future). I haen't built anything in about 15 years but plan on getting back into after I retire in 2 years. May even go over to the dark side and build some 1/35th armor. Love the looks of the M-10, Achilles, M18 and armored cars. 

Cheers :cheers:,

Itch

I was toying with the idea of building one particular aircraft in multiple scales.  It would have to be an aircraft produced in multiple scales [1:24, 1:32, 1:48, 1:72, 1:100 or 1:144] with the same markings also available in decals in these scales.  I remember seeing such a display of P-51 Mustangs in a Kalmbach modeling book. 

For example, I might choose the AV-8A Harrier in VMA-231 (Ace of Spades) markings.

1:24 MPC

1:32 Revell

1:48 Monogram

1:72 Airfix (new) or ESCI

1:100 Takara / Revell

1:144 Mark I or Crown 

& possibly 1:350

Edited by Dutch
11 hours ago, Dutch said:

I was toying with the idea of building one particular aircraft in multiple scales.  It would have to be an aircraft produced in multiple scales [1:24, 1:32, 1:48, 1:72, 1:100 or 1:144] with the same markings also available in decals in these scales.  I remember seeing such a display of P-51 Mustangs in a Kalmbach modeling book. 

For example, I might choose the AV-8A Harrier in VMA-231 (Ace of Spades) markings.

That would be very cool, you should stick to that idea. I for one would love to see it. 

As long as the aircraft fit into one of my two themes, anything goes, although I like 1/48 the most.

Theme 1: Photo-Reconnaissance aircraft - Any country/All Scales/All Eras.

Theme 2: Thai aircraft ~ Military & Civilian ~ All Scales/All Eras.

As I'm getting older, I've had to switch to 1/48 from 1/72. Some larger aircraft and helos will remain in 1/72, but the move up is on. 
Soooo, I've got a bunch of 1/72 FS. LOL

6 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

As I'm getting older, I've had to switch to 1/48 from 1/72. Some larger aircraft and helos will remain in 1/72, but the move up is on. 
Soooo, I've got a bunch of 1/72 FS. LOL

PM sent

As  others have written, I think this is a great topic!  For me, I stick with 1/48 for aircraft, and 1/35 for armor.  I like being able to compare the sizes of vehicles (planes and tanks), to get a true sense of differences.  Its amazes me to see the changes in  size between WWIi fighter planes and modern jets, and the largest WWII tanks to today's huge armored vehicles.  Plus, I think the 1/48 and the 1/35 scales are the  'sweet spots' for most manufacturers and aftermarket outfits.   I do, however, have some of the 'oddities', with some 1/35 helicopters, but then I can compare them to my tanks, for example.  I think my one real oddity is  a 1/35 and a 1/48 AH-1Z Viper attack helicopters, but both of them were regarded as very good kits. 

I started off with 48th scale about 30 years ago. After a short while though I found that I was really struggling to complete anything, and display shelf space was becoming a problem. One day a buddy of mine came by and gave me the Italeri (ESCI) 72nd F-5A kit. I was amazed at how well detailed the kit was (except for the cockpit), and started work on it right away. I had it done within a few weeks and was quite happy with it. It still sits in my display case to this day. At the time the only 48th F-5A kit that was out was the ancient Testors kit, and there were several other kits that I wanted to build that already existed in 1/72nd scale, but literally had no hope of ever being produced in 48th scale. So for me, the choice was clear.... I immediately switched over to 72nd scale. 

One subject that I do continue to build in 48th scale though are aggressors and adversaries. This is partly due to the fact that: 1) I already had a number of them built when I switched to 72nd scale, 2) I already had a nice stash of aggressor aircraft kits, 3) Those aggressor paint schemes tend to "pop" a little more in the bigger scales and are easier to paint, 4) and the biggest reason, even back then, with very few exceptions was, the decal makers don't like to do aggressor decals in anything except 48th scale.

I will also occasionally build an aggressor that is wearing a very cool paint scheme in 32nd scale. But this is literally once every four or five years.

So, long story short, like Joe H. above, most of the time the subject matter dictates what scale I build in. Fred K.

Edited by f5guy

Well for me is is 144 scale all the way except for subjects I find super interesting and I like a lot..then I do not care on the scale. Austrian Drakens, Tomcats, Iowa BBs, CVNs, Space Shuttles, all the way from 1:2000/700/400/350/72/32/35 scales. However these have to go to a different cabinett.

Apart from that I like to stick to my scale even though I build a lot of forced perspective lately, with ships/dioramas in 1:2400- 1:700 as abase and aircraft in 144.

On 1/23/2024 at 6:22 AM, Dutch said:

Dutchmaster,

I did a display like this for one of the local Hobby Town stores several years ago using various F-14 kits.   Went from the Revell 1/32 kit all the way down to a 1/720 jet I pulled from a carrier kit.   Decals were pretty much what I had on hand or what was in the kit.  I think the display is still at the last Hobby Town left in town.

As for my personal stuff, I build single engine aircraft in 1/48, large mutli-engined aircraft in 1/144 with a few in 1/72 and the few armor pieces I have in 1/35.   All my car kits are 1/25 and my DKM ships are in 1/350.   My biggest problem right now is display space for anything I manage to finish.    

Edited by Drifterdon
  • 3 weeks later...

I am a die-hard 1/72 modeller.  However, I do have three each 1/32 and 1/48, not to mention a bunch of 1/144. I have the 32 & 48 scale kits because of either necessity or the kit is that cool. I have a Wingnuts Albatros D.V because of all the hype which is well deserved.  I'm mostly locked in smaller sized kits because of space issues.  YMMV...

5 hours ago, harsada said:

When considering models, Tamiya stands out for its versatility in scales. From intricate 1/35 military tanks to detailed 1/24 sports cars, they cater to diverse interests and skill levels. Their range allows enthusiasts to explore various subjects and complexities within the realm of modeling.

Interesting "ADVERTISEMENT" for/from Tamiya. :hmmm:

98% of my modeling builds are aircraft. For me 1/48 is the sweet spot in both size and price. For larger subjects, I switch to 1/72 or 1/144.  I tend to average building 10-15 kits per year.

As I have gotten older, my eyes are not what they used to be, I have considered looking into bigger scales but kits in 1/32 can be stupid expensive especially if I continued at my current build rate.

I used to be strictly 1/48.  I wouldn't even consider something in another scale, but realized that's a narrow way of looking at it.  My first deviation into other scales was Bandai Star Wars stuff, and now I have still have a lot of 1/48 but I've done 1/72 and 1/32 aircraft too.   I build armor in 1/35 and 1/48, I might even get a couple of the Border 1/35 aircraft.    I even have a coupe 1/16 scale kits

Now there isn't a kit in any scale I wouldn't buy because of scale.  Locking yourself into one area of the hobby is limiting and makes it feel like more a chore than a hobby in my opinion.  

I don't think it comes down only to scales. There are strict prop modelers, AFV ones and so on. I for one am mostly a 1/72 jet guy. It's nice to see how different aircraft look next to eachother. Both because of the size comparison but also features. Placing an F-5e next to an Su-24 puts things into perspective. But from time to time, its fun to build something slightly different. So I go into 1/48 and even once wandered into 1/32. Again, a 1/48 F-16 and 1/72 Su-34 are quite similar in size.

It all comes down to the subject for me. If it's Hornets, I'll build 1/700 to 1/32 provided I can get a half decent kit. For everything else except 1/72 I need to have an idea for a build or a nice model I'd like to build. So in 1/48 except for Hornets I got myself Tamiya, Hasegawa and Kinetic Vipers (and I even built the Italeri one too!), got a T-38 from Hobby Boss and an F-5F from AFV, plus a few F-14's from Tamiya and a couple F-4's from Academy. Initially I wanted only 12 1/48 scale models - one for each colony  for each shelf of a display case I got. Loved the idea of a single model per shelf.

Been thinking about this lately. I’ve been building for a little over a year and generally like 1/48, but I like big fighter jets and have limited space so I’m seeing the value of 1/72. One of my favorite jets is the Vulcan and even in 1/72 it’s huge, so I like the idea of also building my other favorites in 1/72 as well. Like others said it opens up a lot of other options to build too. 

Maybe when I get more space 1/32 can be an occasional option, but right now I wouldn’t even consider it.