I HATE assembling intakes!! :D Right now, I'm working on putting together the ones for the Hase F-15C kit. Obiviously, they're 2 halves that need to be joined, and are going to have a horrendous seam on each side when assembled. The way I see it, I've got 2 choices...paint each half of the intake first, then put them together (but if I do that, the seam will still be there), or put the intakes together and sand the seam away (but if I do that, painting the inside of them won't be easy). I guess that's what you call being between a rock and a hard place. HELP!!! :taunt: :huh:

I think I'd paint first, so as to minimize the post-assembly painting. Then once it's assembled, take care of the seam as best as you can (I start with shaped files then take a piece of sandpaper folded many, many times so it's like a flexible sanding stick), then I touch up with an airbrush. I'm not familiar with the F-15 kits, but it's what I do with Tomcats and others.

Oh boy you've still have got to see Italeri's SUper Hornet's Intakes....THAT'S NASTY.

The engine intakes represent a major problem in this kit. They are made up of two halves that just don't fit. Even worse, they are conical in shape, and the Intake entrance is squared... You get the idea of the problem that arises. Even the "Fill without sanding" technique didn't work here, so there was no other solution except sanding - and sanding - and sanding - and sanding.

The best way to paint intakes is post- sanding. Yet, the tube can be easely Airbrushed. then Masked, and forget about the rest....

This pic is half-way Sanded...

07.jpg

Painted

...holy crimony...that's enough to put me off wanting to do one of those birds completely!!! Trouble is, I'm going to HAVE to do one in the near future, to keep up with my mostly-complete history of the Jolly Rogers. *grumbles*

:taunt:

Yup... The only Reason I built it was that I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANTED a 1/48 SUper Hornet, (and, in the mean time, experiment with resin, and aftermarket Decals).

Now that my Crave has gone down, I can wait for the Revell Hornet, who's intakes (as I've seen in the pics) are the right lenght - and although the design is similar, we all sincerly hope that they Engineer it good for the fit's sake....

Oh, and if you want to do an F super Bug with that kit, you can steal the Canopy from an Italeri F Bug... since the Revell F Bug is expected a year later (or so) after the E

Take Care

I tackled the intakes on the Revell F-15E by glueing a piece of sandpaper to a piece of foam then to a popsicle stick. I used Mr. surfacer 500 to fill the seam.

After it was done, I painted it with flat white, as it was easier to cover with flat paint. Then I filled a soda can with Future and dipped the intakes, resulting in a glossy finish.