Jump to content

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, stalal said:

 

Thanks. These two gun pods look so similar. I bought SUU for the Marines kit thinking this is the right pod. 🙄 

 

This HIPEG off primeportal has seen better days but good view showing the odd shaped shrouded nose on the HIPEG I was trying to describe, the two barrels are stacked vertically top/bottom. Can see the top barrel just slightly recessed here:

a-4e_10_of_24.jpg

a-4e_08_of_24.jpg

 

Edited by ziggyfoos
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, stalal said:

Tamiya F-4B kit provides two tailplanes. Is the one not used in the kit right version for early Marines F-4B? 


Yes the unused part is of the earlier unslotted stab and would applicable to "early" F-4Bs (depending on which specific F-4 you're making and what time period)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks so far.  I've ordered the Coremans book.  I've narrowed it down to three airframes on the AOA decals sheet "Spooks from the Beach 2".  There are two VMFA-542 planes that were at Da Nang in 1965 (150648 and 152232) and one VMFA-531 plane (151452).  I've ordered the sheet but not received it so just looking at the review on hyperscale.  The two 542 planes say the stab is not slatted but reinforced and the 531's is not slatted and not reinforced.    Two of them look to have no antenna (?) bumps on the spine. 

 

I found two pics on the web of 531 planes supposedly at Da Nang in '65:

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/635531/151458/1458

https://www.airphotographicinternational.com/products/151468ec14-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4b-usmcvmfa-531-da-nang-1965

 

Neither seem to have antenna (?) bumps on the spine and both seem to have silver bulbs on the front of the fairing below the nose.

 

What do I need to know?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Phil not the one already used said:

Thanks so far.  I've ordered the Coremans book.  I've narrowed it down to three airframes on the AOA decals sheet "Spooks from the Beach 2".  There are two VMFA-542 planes that were at Da Nang in 1965 (150648 and 152232) and one VMFA-531 plane (151452).  I've ordered the sheet but not received it so just looking at the review on hyperscale.  The two 542 planes say the stab is not slatted but reinforced and the 531's is not slatted and not reinforced.    Two of them look to have no antenna (?) bumps on the spine. 

 

I found two pics on the web of 531 planes supposedly at Da Nang in '65:

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/635531/151458/1458

https://www.airphotographicinternational.com/products/151468ec14-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4b-usmcvmfa-531-da-nang-1965

 

Neither seem to have antenna (?) bumps on the spine and both seem to have silver bulbs on the front of the fairing below the nose.

 

What do I need to know?

 

 

 

Very nice find! 

 

What do those silver bulbs on the fairing below the nose mean? Is it with or without IRST?  Asking Phantom experts. 🙂

Edited by stalal
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phil not the one already used said:

So far I think I need:

1 - an early tailfin

2 - MB H5 seats

3 - an IRST pod?

 

IRST pod is already in the kit, if I m correct in identifying the part.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phil not the one already used said:

So far I think I need:

1 - an early tailfin

2 - MB H5 seats

3 - an IRST pod?

 

www.hypersonicmodels.com has a rather nice Mk.H5A seat for about $7, and the IRST pod for around $4.  Just have to make sure you order the USN seat (or the USAF seat), on your build.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stalal said:

So which under nose pod is in the Tamiya kit? 

The IRST in photos has the glass dome.

Like other century interceptors F-101, or F-102.

Tamiya kit has the non-glass standard pods.

Check photos of other F-4B's.

Personally, to capture the rainbow effect of the coating

on the glass, I remove kit dome and install a like sized bead

from the jewelry section of a craft store, but as mentioned,

you can get the Hypersonic pod.

And for a Hipeg gun pod, can't recall which but they are in one

of the old Hasegawa weapons sets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2024 at 10:51 AM, phasephantomphixer said:

The IRST in photos has the glass dome.

Like other century interceptors F-101, or F-102.

Tamiya kit has the non-glass standard pods.

Check photos of other F-4B's.

Personally, to capture the rainbow effect of the coating

on the glass, I remove kit dome and install a like sized bead

from the jewelry section of a craft store, but as mentioned,

you can get the Hypersonic pod.

And for a Hipeg gun pod, can't recall which but they are in one

of the old Hasegawa weapons sets.

Hasegawa Weapon Set C has the Hipeg gun pod.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Phil not the one already used said:

Looks like Eduard makes an early ejector seat: 648709 but they don't say what it is.  Is it the martin baker H5?

 

The Eduard seat is a MB Mk.H5A seat.  Desighan'd to work with the integrated harness the pilots would put on before they got to the birds.  If you want to do a  bird with the Mk.H5 seat you're going to need to replace the harness, but they switched over to the Mk.H5A after a short period of time.  They are nice, but a bit spendy.  Hypersonic has a nice seat, and it's a bit more reasonable.  But take note when you order it to make sure you select the Navy seat!

 

Eduard lists their seat as an F-4B seat, but it will work for any Navy F-4 from around 1963 to April 1968.  The F-4J aircraft initially started out with the Mk.H5A seat for the initial production birds, and switched during the production.  Although they didn't complete upgrading the Mk.H5 ballistic seats to Mk.H7 rocket seats for a few years.  

 

This thread will pretty much tell you everything you need for the seat.

 

Jet AC ejection seats - Jet Modeling - ARC Discussion Forums (arcforums.com)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...