OK, I feel really dumb :stupid: about asking this, because it probably is really simple, but I would like to try wet sanding the project I'm working on now (F-15C Eagle, while I wait for that damn back-ordered Viper seat :angry: ), but I have NEVER done it before. It sounds simple enough, but I've got a couple of questions.

1. Do I soak the sandpaper in water, just get the sandpaper a little bit wet, or soak the part you're sanding in the water?

2. Should I use warm or cold water?

3. I guess the biggest question would be...how much different is the dry-sanding technique and wet-sanding technique.

I apologize if I missed a section on it here on ARC, and if I did, just point me in the right direction, and I'll go from there. THANKS :wave:

Oh, and by the way, sorry for the dumb :monkeydance: question :rolleyes:

Have a little dish of tap water next to you and just dip the wwt n dry paper into the dish to get some water on the paper. Then sand away. as you work wipe the paste creatred away to check progress then repeat the process again!

HTH

:monkeydance:

MikeJ

Basic? Stick in water. Rub on model.

Answering your questions...

1. Dip the paper in water. If it soaks longer (say, an hour or so), it'll be a little more pliable, but as long as the water's soaked in, which you'll be able to tell by the slight darkening of the backing, it'll be fine. If you're doing something particularly messy, like sanding down a vac form kit, it can help to sand in a large tub with the bottom filled with water, but by and large, it doesn't make a difference. You can wipe away the excess sludge, re-dip the paper in more water, or splash a little water on the part. Whatever works for you.

2. Yes. You can also use lukewarm or tepid water, if hot or cold are unavailable.

3. Cleaner (well, it contains the mess), easier (because of the lubrication), less scratches or surface damage on the item you're sanding (because of the kind of grit used). It will also allow you to sand more with a single piece of paper because the grit won't clog up, so you won't have to keep changing your sandpaper.

"Cleaner"??? Wow....sounds totally against what I'd expect; I don't mind the dust so much; a paste dripping everywhere sounds so much messier. But, I am inclined to believe you guys fully...could be interesting!!

...and paper-backed sandpaper works okay for it? Would've expected you had to do it with plastic-backed sandpaper.

Man, I am totally ignorant!!!

Cleaner in the sense that it tends to contain the dust to your immediate vicinity, in a sludge like form. It DOESN'T give you the big piles of sanding dust blowing all over the place, making a mess over a wide area, getting on your clothes and thus deposited around your house. Use too much water and you'll have residue-ey drips, or have the water run up your arm (which isn't pleasant), but once you get the hang of the amount of water to use, it's really fairly tidy, as sanding goes.

And you use paper backed sandpaper. Generally. The difference is actually in the adhesive, not the stuff that supports it. If you use a regular, white paper backed amber grit or aluminium oxide sandpaper, the grit will come off as soon as you dip it in water. You need the black stuff, which generally has green, brown (khaki) or yellow backing, and will clearly be marked 'Wet'. There are wet sandable films (plastic backing), and there are non-wet sandable films. There are meshes that can and can not be used wet - it all depends on the adhesive, and has nothing to do with the supporting material.