slightly O/T; Question on SuperBug pylons?

Hi all, Sorry about the placing of my question, but I reckon that if anyone knows the answer, you lot do.

I am currently building the Italeri 1/72 F/A-18F for 2Bobs VFA-41 decals (bought both the kit and decals before Hasegawa released theirs) and I need to know how to place the wing pylons. I know they should be toe'd out by 10 degrees, but do I measure from the rear attachment point, or should the point of the angle be at the rear of the pylon? OR, should the angle point be in the centre of the pylon, as though the pylon was rotated 10 degrees about it's centre point (as though the front is toe'd out 10 deg and the rear is toe'd IN 10 deg from their original kit positions?)

Confused? I am! Help!

Roy

Roy,

The E/F pylons are toed out 4 degrees from the aircraft centerline (8 degrees total when comparing the right wing with the left wing). In addition, the OUTBOARD pylons are also canted 3.5 degrees away from the fuselage. On the real jets, the pylons were rotated about the forward attachment fitting (the aft end moved toward the fuselage). Off the top of my head I don't know where the kit mounting holes are relative to where the real attacment fittings are, but if you use the forward mount hole as the reference you should be OK.

• 2 months later...

Hi again guys,

Thanks for the help, to see the finished bird (and a Sea Harrier) check out the critique corner. Pity I was too late for this group build.

Cheers again,

Roy