Best filler to use...

Just kind of curious as to what filler you guys prefer to use. I've used the Squadron white stuff, it was OK, not perfect, and now I'm using the gray Tamiya stuff, which is OK, but I seem to be having a difficult time getting it perfectly smoothed out.

Just sort of looking for any other suggestions of what I may want to try. Thanks! :lol:

Bondo auto glazing putty is my weapon of choice right now (I'm planning to switch to Tamiya but my "everything 10% above MSRP" hobbyshop stocks like 1 tube a month... it's on the shopping list for the next Squadron spree).

Squadron's green menace is a waste of money.

Nothing beats Zap A Gap if for no other reason than there is no shrinkage. That's what drives me nuts about the likes of Squadron and Tamiya.

Also, CA re-scribes far better than any kind of "putty"

For those who use Zap-a-Gap, how is it used? ie.

1. Does it need several applications to fill say a wing root?

2. How long do you let it dry before sanding?

3. If you leave it too long, does it become unsandable?

Any other tips on use?

:thumbsup:

When I use the gap filling glues, I start to sand within seconds of spraying on the accelerator. Sometimes it clogs the paper with semi wet glue but it sure is easier than sanding glue that is rock hard. You really want to sand as soon as possible. :thumbsup:

i use normal superglue; applied in the morning, sanded when i come back in the evening. i find that in the abscence of accelerator, selley's supa glue will fill gaps without shrinkage and remains sandable 6-7 hours after application. if i want it done fast, i'll dab on some accelerator and sand immediately, which also gives me a good 30 minute workout.

for smaller imperfections and minor touch-ups, i use tamiya putty thinned with lacquer thinner.

and yes, ca scribes better than putties.

Can anyone tell me if Testors/Modelmaster Red Putty is available anywhere in the UK?

This is my favourite (easy to work, negligible shrinkage). I usually stock up when I visit the US, butI haven't been for a couple of years and wont' be going again until at least next Summer. I'm halfway through my last tube and am already getting withdrawal symptons! :cheers:

Thanks,

Roy

I used to use Humbrol filler all of the time until Humbrol switched manufacturer about a year ago and it still has not made it back oon to the shelves :(

I now use Squadron White & CA for most jobs, I have some squadron green but it goes on a bit too gritty.

Don't like Miliput at all - mine didn't seem to mix properly, unless I had a bad pack.

I do sometimes use car auto-body filler, (UK) Dave's P38 Isopon 'easy sand', it's great for big filling jobs.

Karl