Old Kit Question: Aurora C-141A

Atlantis says it will be coming out with the Aurora 1/108 C-141A.

It is a bit before my time, I don't think I have ever seen one built. 

It was one of Auroras later, much improved, kits from the early '70s,  so it should be much better than their large airliners of the early '60s.

For a long time it was the only C-141 kit available.

Anyone know anything about it?

Detail, features, etc?

Screenshot_20240522-100249_kindlephoto-12175369.png

I think I’ve still got the one I built as a kid up in the attic somewhere. I can’t comment on accuracy but it looks like a C-141A. No detail to speak of. I seem to remember the gear wells were just shallow depressions in the sponsons and nose with holes for the struts to plug into. No working features like some Aurora kits. It would be a fun weekend slammer to practice your natural metal finish technique on, but it’s nowhere near what you would call a modern kit.

Ben

On 5/22/2024 at 1:09 PM, JohnEB said:

Atlantis says it will be coming out with the Aurora 1/108 C-141A.

It is a bit before my time, I don't think I have ever seen one built. 

It was one of Auroras later, much improved, kits from the early '70s,  so it should be much better than their large airliners of the early '60s.

For a long time it was the only C-141 kit available.

Anyone know anything about it?

Detail, features, etc?

Screenshot_20240522-100249_kindlephoto-12175369.png

Here are some good photos of the parts. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/aurora-69-lockheed-141a-starlifter-1914986635

Steve

I built two of these; one with a silver finish as a kid back in the 1970s and another about 20 years ago in white / aircraft gray finish using modified decals.  As Ben & Scott have said, no detail whatsoever and the engraved lines for the hatches are a close representation of the Grand Canyon.  I had a third kit, but sold it a few years ago when Roden came out with their 1/144 C-141B kit.  Shape is good, detail is non-existent.  Plenty of room for scratch building!  Go for it!

Thanks to all for their thoughts.

I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed, I hoped that it being a later Aurora effort, it would have been better. 

As it is, it sounds like their large scale airliner kits. 

I know from personal experience their 747 was very basic, but given the scale it isn't surprising. 

Like many old kits, it is a great basis for a desk model where size trumps detail.

It’ll look great hanging from the ceiling! Just like the other Aurora Airliners. A good decal sheet makes a big difference. The DC-9 and 727 really look nice in a vintage flyers decal sheet. 

Posted (edited)

Hopefully Vintage Flyers (or someone) will come out with an improved decal sheet if Atlantis does not do it.

I have read somewhere online that the nose numbers don't match the tail serial.

I have asked a friend who is a consultant to Atlantis to mention that to Peter.

A couple of decal variations could be available...more than you might expect

MATS...NMF

MAC (transition...silver decals over MATS titles) NMF

MAC...NMF

MAC....Gray/White

Lockheed demonstrator

NASA

Plus, there were a couple of experimental camouflage finish.

I don't think many As had the Euro 1 scheme, I think that came around the same time as the "B" stretch program.

Hopefully, it might be enough to temp someone into doing a sheet.

Edited by JohnEB

This would be most welcome news if true. I spoke with them in person last year and it was said they were not going to release the C-141 due to licensing restrictions from Lockheed-Martin.

Time will tell.

It was listed as a release in my last email from them.

They must have received a Lockheed license since they also announced they are re-issuing the ex-Revell P2V Neptune in 1/104 and WV-2 Warning Star (RC/EC-121D) in 1/128.

Neither of those have been released for years.