Tried this today to see how it would do. While not equivalent to foil, or a nice Alclad finish, it does really well. I sprayed this DC-3 with Tamiya Bare Metal from the rattle can and it’s just a dull silver. The wax completely changed it. Time for the first clear coat then Delta Airlines decals. 

IMG_4493.jpeg

IMG_4490.jpeg

IMG_4494.jpeg

Like most modelers I struggle with / have a phobia of natural metal finish. I'm looking over at my shelving and see at least three different brands of paint I've bought to try to achieve a nice and "easy" natural metal finish.  I like the results you've gotten.

And, yes, building a (or several) 1/48 Monogram DC-3's is my dream.  I have six in my stash.  Please show your finished build when done.

The control surfaces were fabric covered and would not have the "polished" look.  More like your finish before Rub'n Buff.

C2j

Started to get the decals on. The instructions recommended using Micro Sol, which is working fine, but it’s affecting a little of the metal finish. Tight area between two decals so I think applying and buffing with Q-tips will fix it. 

IMG_4500.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Chris,

Very impressive DC-3.  Terrific results with Rub'n'Buff.  My son and I tried it years ago on his Monogram 1/48 B-17G kit.  We tried three or four different methods on each of the horizontal stabilizer halves, just to see.  Our results were not that terrific, so he preferred the chrome silver spray paint that we purchased at Michael's.  What were your prep stages for applying the Rub'n'Buff to get those beautiful results?  I still have 97% of my tube left.  Interesting that the Micro-Sol / Micro-Set affected the finish. Your results are outstanding!

Kind regards,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
added link
On 7/6/2024 at 6:11 PM, Cubs2jets said:

Really nice model of Ship 41!

C2j

Thanks. Surely not doing it the justice it deserves, but hoping it’s close. Should be in the Display Case forum by this weekend. I have the wrong propellers, so won’t be glued on, but mounted for show.