RUST!

Guest turok_t

no no no i mean rusting... when u see brown stuff drip down

Hi,

I use powdered pastels, applied with a fine tipped brush. Then protect the weathering with a clear coat. I use this a lot on my armor models. I was wondering, what aircraft are you going to weather with rust?

Regards,

Godfrey

If you mean heavy rust like the plane has been sitting around for a long while waiting to be scrapped, then use superglue to attach baking soda and paint that a rust color.

Or if you just want just light surface rust, the pastels are the easiest way to go.

-Chris

Product called Rustall is a good choice.

Also I have found that if I want a good rusty wash for a part to show rust trails I will take some iron filings add water and wait for a week or so. hard water here at home so plenty of stuff to make the rust happen.

If you are seeing reddish streaks on an F-15 more than likely you are seeing Hydraulic fluid leaks.

this can be duplicated with a thin wash of the following ( not sure of the mix, because I mixed it way back in 87 when I was at Misawa AB Japan.

using Gunze Sangyo paints.Clear base, Clear Red, Clear Smoke, and some rubbing alchohol.

Mixed this til it was a pale reddish color ( Not Pink)

also the oil leaks are done the same way with clear base, clear smoke and alchohol.

Fuel spills made using clear base and alchohol.

As to corrosion on the Eagle.

you should never see any rust, or oxidized aluminum since it would weeken the airframe of the bird. and most USAF units are very picky about the fact that their planes are not pretty and clean.

We were taught to take care of our birds and to watch out for any corroision, delamination or other items that might risk the airframe, pilot or ourselves.

As an old Deputy Comander for Maintance told me one time. (DCM)

" A Clean F-16 Flys Better, Faster and Further than a Dirty One!"

to which I replied.

"Yes but with the birds in the Wash Rack all the time how do we get them to fly?"

Hope that this helps...