• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
any update on the canopy release, a lot of people are waiting including myself
Sorry, canopy has been on hold while I've been casting missiles and preparing for the Nats. I'll be getting back to it after the show.
awwww, please tell me one day chris is going to make a side IRST conversion.....
I'm planning to make the canopy correction for both the Su-27UB as well as the Su-30MKK, so yes, I will be doing the side IRST, particularly since they really got the shape of the IRST housing wrong...

Fresh out of the mold:

Stinger6.jpg

Stinger7.jpg

I know what you're thinking, "that's a big chunk of resin to add to the tail end of the model".

I did my best to keep it light by making it hollow. It's still heavier than the removed plastic by about 15 grams though.

Stinger8.jpg

I'll be debuting this at the Nats but since I only have a few days left I will probably have very few ready to sell and the instructions won't be ready either.

:cheers:

Chris, how about those wing tip ECM pods you've been working on? Those Su-30's people'll build are gonna need them.

They will be available at the Nats and on my website shortly after I return.

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd bump this thread to let anyone who is looking for a 1/32 Su-27UB know about the great deal I just found!

I was searching around for an Su-30MKK kit and stumbled upon this deal at Tower Hobbies: 1/32 Su-27UB $88.04 !!!

I've never ordered from them before but read good things here at ARC. The shipping is cheap too. I don't know how many they have in stock.

As long as I've bumped this thread I'll mention that the Archer and Alamo missiles, Sorbtsiya Pods and early tail stinger are now all available through my website.

And...

I'm currently working on wingtip pylons for the Flanker

Su_WT_Pylon2.jpg

A full set of pylons will eventually be available.

More details >>>here<<<.

:thumbsup:

The missiles are out of this world... The guys who are building one should buy them! And for the su-27 grand finale --- the pylons... I'm in heaven!!

Hey zacto... Do'nt you think a 1/32 su-33 conversion will be a top seller? I could by one even before you start to make it. How many conversions do you think you need to sell just to cover the Masters production costs?

One no, I would buy two sets !!!!

cheers zacto

Rafael winter

Hey zacto... Do'nt you think a 1/32 su-33 conversion will be a top seller?

Rafael winter

The conversion of a Su-27 into a Su-33 is a major undertaking. :woot.gif:

To do it properly you would require......

New forward fuselage with canards, offset IRST and IFR probe - plus new tail stinger - so you might as well have a complete new fuselage.

Completely new wings - they are bigger, have different flaps plus the wingfold.

New folding horizontal stabs

Completely new twin nosegear and wheels,

Bigger main legs with slightly different locking mechanism.

New windscreen with offset IRST.

Tailhook.

So any 'conversion' set would be almost a new kit - and in resin, very expensive.

It would be nice though........ :thumbsup:

Ken

Hey zacto... Do'nt you think a 1/32 su-33 conversion will be a top seller?
I kinda doubt it considering how expensive it would end up being. (See Ken's post)
How many conversions do you think you need to sell just to cover the Masters production costs?
Too many to justify the time it would take to tool it up.

Sorry... :woot.gif:

Glad to hear you like the missiles though!

:thumbsup:

In case anybody interested might have missed the post above:

I was searching around for an Su-30MKK kit and stumbled upon this deal at Tower Hobbies: 1/32 Su-27UB $88.04 !!!

I thought I'd bump this thread to let anyone who is looking for a 1/32 Su-27UB know about the great deal I just found!

I've never ordered from them before but read good things here at ARC. The shipping is cheap too. I don't know how many they have in stock.

Adding to Chris's post above, Tower Hobbies emailed me a $10 off coupon which I used to buy one of the UB kits for a total of $88.03 including shipping!!! Great deal for a kit that retails for $210.00!

• 3 months later...
I decided to double check photos and compare to the kit before I posted this. I almost wish I hadn't.

I was looking at the missiles hanging under the intakes of the real bird and comparing them to pics of the built up kit, studying the difference in angle.

Then I noticed (on the real bird) that the missiles on the wings and the wingtip pylons also angled downward at a similar angle.

Looking at the kit, the wing missiles and tip pylons appear level and the intake missiles are angled too far down......Any thoughts on this?

I haven't scrutinized the pylons yet. Is the angle problem with them or is it the wing itself?

Fixing the intakes may help the missiles under the intakes, but my previously mentioned concern, which I still haven't taken time to study, is the angle of ALL the missiles. The missiles under the wings look like they need thier angle adjusted as well as those under the intakes.
Almost 5 years later and the answer is:

The pylons!

Su_Pylon2.jpg

Notice the difference in angles and positions of all the missiles.

The full set is now finished, instructions are in progress and it should be released later this week.

Su_WT_Pylon7.jpg

AKU470_7.jpg

Su_Pylon1.jpg

I'll be posting an update on the 1/32 Russian Missile Pylon thread.

:lol:

After removing an approximate wall thickness from the pattern I did a test pull to check it out
How, my amazing friend, did you do this and keep the shape correct? I know you did-I just can't figure out how!
Years of practice!

I wish I had a good picture showing how I did it but I'll try to explain...

I carefully filed thin grooves the approximate depth that I wanted to remove, keeping them slightly shallower than the final depth.

Since I am forming the canopy using .030" plastic I made the initial groove about ..027" deep,,, kinda...

Because vacuumformed parts vary in thickness I had to vary the depth of the grooves. :wacko:

Having lots of experience with vacformed parts really helps here...

Across the top the plastic ends up being nearly .030" on the final vac.

As the plastics forms around the sides it thins out becoming much thinner towards the base of the pattern.

The thickness will also change depending on the depth and width of the pull. Other factors like shapes and undercuts can make it even more challenging like where the bulged canopy meets the frame. :lol:

So I had to approximate what I thought the final thickness would end up on all areas of the pattern, filing varying depth grooves all over my nicely finished pattern.

At this point the part looks ruined.

Next I draw pencil lines in all the grooves.

Then file and sand away all the remaining raised areas just to the depth of the lines.

Next I carefully sand and massage away that extra .003" of material leaving me with the final inside shape of the vacform.

Follow? :wub:

HTH...

:D

• 4 months later...