:D Thanks for the compliments.

It's been interesting following the progress - it's far more interesting than just looking at pics of the finished item.

I agree completely. I just love watching work in progress, especially the nitty gritty detail stuff. I just hope I'm not overposting and boring people here with slow progress. Not to mention that these posts should probably go in the in-progress section, but then I'm not building a model, just a canopy (I can't wait to build the model!).

I keep deciding to add more stuff...

Front edge of canopy framing carved from .050" styrene sheet.

Rear inner canopy frame is made from thick aluminum foil tape with rivets punched from backside using a pin. This part will be molded as a thin flat piece and will need to be warmed to conform to the inside of the canopy.

I'm a self proclaimed obsesive-compulsive rivet-counter but not an accu-nazi, does this make me an accu-ruskie?

post-3-1104664071.jpg

Edited by Zactoman

You are NOT boring anyone!!! I just keep on checking this thread only to see if there is any new post from this incredible canopy detailing project. I´m actually saving all your pictures as reference material also! Hope you don´t mind! :D

/Kristian

Sorry to those looking for updates, but I've taken a few days off (family, stomach flu, and freezing cold garage). I'm getting right back on it though. As for a release date, I'm pushing as fast as I can (I just keep finding more details to add). Still hoping to get some molds poured by end of week, test shots shortly thereafter...Soon !!!

Front edge of canopy framing carved from .050" styrene sheet.

How did you do?...

I carved the outer edges to fit the frame, then dremeled the inside sorta close, leaving material to support it until I had fully thinned the part. Then filed, scraped, and sanded. Finally removing the support and finishing those areas.

post-3-1104872897.jpg

Edited by Zactoman

Another way I deal with small parts is shown below. Using strip styrene I carve the main shape to size, then partially cut it off, leaving a small bit to hold it. Then detail the part using this "handle" to hold it. Then cut it off and detail the cut off area.

post-3-1104873078.jpg

Edited by Zactoman

Zactoman

Most impressive work!!

This is not rivet counting, far from it, this is art in action!!

Thanks for sharing...

If youy get the mould worked up, I really am keen to take a casting off your hands!

:soapbox:

MikeJ

I would just like it known that I don't even own a 1/32 flanker (and chances are I never will) and I would STILL consider buying this aftermarket set, just because of all the ingenuity and hard work that is going in to it!

Hey all, I'm flattered :soapbox: (enough already :lol: )

Let's just hope I can pull off the molding and casting part of this project. This is much more intricate than what I'm used to doing at work (EJM Design). I'm pretty confident, but I am a little worried about molding things like small wiring with undercuts and through holes. I'm blown away by some of the Black Box stuff I've seen (not that impressed with some of the other resins out there).

Anybody know of any good how-to/reference sites dealing with molding an d casting super intricate detaily stuff?

Back from africa, i am discovering your article Zactoman. :wacko:

IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!

That's a "chef d'oeuvre" :D :lol: :P

i print everything to keep it under my pilow.

Thanks for sharing your technics Zacto.

Just a question, i missed the part about the king of material that you used for the canopy

resin or thermoforming?

Thanks for your future answer. :worship:

Progress has been abit slow (sorry guys B) , I'm hoping you're willing to endure the wait for a more completely detailed part).

This little detailie stuff is difficult when you have giant fingers as I do.

Canopy de-misting ducting is about ready to attach. I made these parts from solder by rolling it flat between 2 pieces of strip stock taped down, the solder taped at one end. Curved 'horns' are also solder.

post-3-1105304255.jpg

Edited by Zactoman

Another view. You can see some of the foil tape with embossed details.

post-3-1105304883.jpg

Release Date: Soon, ASAP, quickly as I can.

I'm almost finished with the details. I just bought some RTV for the molds. I just acquired a small vacuum chamber for my garage, so I will be able to cast parts more rapidly when I am ready to go.

I'm still having a few problems with the actual vacforming, I'm pretty sure it's a moisture problem with my material. I'm hoping to solve the problem with a new sheet of plastic, or to oven dry the plastic before forming it(pain, extra work).

I still have to deal with packaging and an instruction sheet (I will work with overanxious ARC members :o to get you parts in advance of 'proper' packaging and instructions)

B)

Edited by Zactoman

Sorry, one question Zactoman: are you going to keep the same level of detailing for the whole aircraft? The work you have done so far is not from this planet! Incredilbe isn´t enough!

It makes me want to order a set even though I probably never will build a 1/32 kit!!!!

/Kristian

are you going to keep the same level of detailing for the whole aircraft?

No, I was actually hoping to build the kit out-of-the-box. Now that that's not happening, I'm planning on just adding some wiring to the gear wells and struts, and using the Black Box cockpit.

I'm anxious to move on to a full-on scratch-built (actually well along the way :crying: ) 1/32 jet fighter, with the intent to release it as a limited run resin kit with photoetch, metal gear struts, and decals.

I wish I could share that one (and the rest on my list (all 1/32 scale))( He-162 was on the list ;) ), but I'm worried about somebody stealing my ideas and releasing it/them first. :cheers: