Is it me? Or does Jolene Blalock...

I don't know if it is her doing it for the sake of her character, or if she is sick (and eating disorders are NO laughing matter).

I hope she isn't sick... She used to be the reason I watched the show.... then it went and got really good. Who'd a' thunk it? :rolleyes:

To answer your question my love

Why do they do it?????

Because the big studio executives tell them they have to look a certain way and thus begins the nasty cycle. They eat (or don't eat) because they think they are fat.

Truth is they are fine but they get a mind set on how they feel the executives and the fans want them to look and then they take it too far.

The studio executives and yes society in general really needs to rethink its idealogy on what a REAL woman should look like.

HTH

:sign_boycott:

LoriJ

Why do they do it?????

Because the big studio executives tell them they have to look a certain way and thus begins the nasty cycle. They eat (or don't eat) because they think they are fat.

Truth is they are fine but they get a mind set on how they feel the executives and the fans want them to look and then they take it too far.

The studio executives and yes society in general really needs to rethink its idealogy on what a REAL woman should look like.

HTH

:thumbsup:

LoriJ

I think society is catching on. Otherwise, how would you explain J. Lo's popularity despite her "not quite stick-like" figure?

Why do they do it?????

HTH

:cheers:

LoriJ

Amen to that, MrsMadMike!

In a system/society where a drop-dead gorgeous actress like Liv Tyler from LOTRs is referred to in the press as a "porker" and this ridiculous (and cruel) slur goes unchallenged, I'd say we have a long way to go and a lot of re-thinking to do about our ideals of feminine beauty.

I like a woman who's built for comfort, not for speed. . .cause sometimes making love to a skinny gal is like falling on a pile of coat hangers!

:blink:

Old Blind Dog

Why do they do it?????

HTH

LoriJ

I think society is catching on. Otherwise, how would you explain J. Lo's popularity despite her "not quite stick-like" figure?

Look at the teenager magazines for girls and the "stick" is still a real issue.

The one thing Lori and I have impressed on our daughters (all are slim young ladies) is that it is NOT COOL or HEALTHY to starve yourself half to death to be like the girls in the magazines. Eat well, exercise and above all, be comfortable with yourself!

You are correct though that the world is slowly changing but not fast or quick enough.

OBD, well said and I agree with you wholeheartedly!!

:blink:

MikeJ

I have three daughters and the expectation on them to be all size 8's from fashion and fashion designers is frankly quite scary!

There are begining to be changes, thank God, but while size 8 models who look more like walking skeletons are preferred over "real sized" women I will continue to worry about my little ladies (who are slim active girls)...

:sign_boycott:

MikeJ

• 3 weeks later...

I'M HAPPY TO REPORT THAT I HAD THE PLEASURE OF MEETING JOLENE IN LAS VEGAS A FEW WEEKS AGO, AND SHE LOOKS TO BE IN PERFECT HEALTH-A LOT MORE MUSCULAR THAN YOU'D THINK. I SAW NO SIGNS WHATSOEVER THAT SHE MIGHT HAVE AN EATING DISORDER. SHE'S IN A SERIOUS FITNESS TRAINING PROGRAM RIGHT NOW, WHICH I'M SURE INCLUDES STRICT NUTRITIONAL MONITORING; SHE'S SIGNED ON TO DO A MOVIE WITH ACTION STAR JET LI.

• 3 months later...
That's always a shame. I don't go for "portly" women but I don't like sticks either. Please don't blame men for causing this problem. It's more complicated than that.

Over and over and over....

Society's fault or individual choice?

:thumbsup:

It's a little of both; society & personal choice.

Case in point, a budy of mine was commenting on women while we were in Vegas. He went on and on about who was "pudgy" or "doughy". What the "H"!?!? Then we got into a discussion about what a perfect woman is and he mentioned his wife -6'1" and 115 lbs!?!?

Are you kidding me? A woman that tall is healthy at 125lbs minimum! I'm convinced that he's at least half the reason she's that starved, the other is culture. There's a recommended body mass (by muscle and bone weight) for heights, she's on the unhealthy side. My wife is 5'2" and she's ideal between 120 lbs to 130 lbs. What business does a 6'1" woman have being less than that?

I know one size doesn't fit all, but when the pics of this guys wife shows bones and knobby parts...

'Course, I wouldn't notice that except the teen mags are right next tot he hobby mags at the newsstand.

I guess it's just odd to me that really skinny women would ever think they're fat. But then, there's "Queen Latifa" or whatever she calls herself and trying to pawn herself off as a "plus size hottie"

Sorry, lady....you're fat

Someone once said, "There's no accounting for taste". I agree. Some like em a little big, some...tiny. I like em pretty, and smart and fun. Weight becomes an issue if I can't pick her up (I'm 6', 230lbs) and just like they say about motorcycles, "If you can't pick it up, you probably shouldn't ride it".

RS

There seems to be a euphemistic code for the way fat girls describe themselves. Heavy - Ruebinisque - full figured, etc. But never fat!

Last week I was on the beach (babe watching) and was astonished to see a huge woman (I mean like she was only two twinkies away from effecting the tide) and she was wearing a thong. There really should be a law against that. I'm sure she was a nice lady and everything, but think of how scared the children were.

10-04-05

Gunner: The problem is society again. In htis age of over-inflated political correctness, people seem to leave their common-sense in neutral.

I know that there is an equal amount of pressure on heavy people to conform as there is on people with regular weight issues, but to ignore the reality of your self and live in a state of denial will not help.

Yup, we all the right to exist as we see fit, provided we aren't affecting hte quailty of life of others, but...and it's a huge butt ( pun intended) thongs and fat people do not go together.

My wife wasa fitness instructor and she knows all about hte height/body mass thing. The onlky people who deny it's logical and common sense are people who are obese. In order to deel comfortable with themselves, they ignore the fact that they are not healthy and need to do something to slim down and help their bodies function better.

But our society says that we cannot upset nor offend these people or anyone.

Truth hurts sometimes. W e cannot be living in a society modelled on the Empreors New Clothes.

I am a diabetic. I am about a stone heavier than my nurse (heelllllllooooo nurse) would like, but I am not in any danger of exploding and if my knee worked the way it should, I could easily run a mile.

However, I know I cannot eat sugar nor chocolate if I am to remain healthy.

If I adopted the attitude of these heavy people, I'd be dead now.

( IE, you can't tell me what's what, I'll decide for myself and I want ot eat ....)

Blah, blah, blah.

Liam

ps, don't get me started with heavy women wearing inappropiate fashions...ever see them wearing the hipsters that show off the belly button???? Like Jabba the Hut rolling downhill after sitting on Han Solo....yyyuuuukkkkk)

The only thing I've noticed on Jolene is on Enterprise her bra size has decresed slightly. :wave: Not that this is a bad thing. Other than that she looks just grate

On the other hand. Generaly I prefer the female of my spicies to look like women, not a sceleton.

I have not seen to many US girls, but from what I see in my own cuntry, it looks as the thiner they are the better.. hey I don't like to look through her, neither that she brakes when I tuch her.

One example is Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy the vampire slayer). That she has not broken in half is way beyond me.

My girlfriend and wife to be looks like a woman. 183 cm tall, and well built Scandinavian brunette. Strong and healthy,just the way I like'em. ;)