Su-34 In progress

Good day gentlemen,

Unfortunately there were two models that I absolutely had to get finished, as they are going to be christmas presents, so I wasn't really able to start my Su-34 as early as I would have liked. Additionally it has been a very busy few months, so not as much modeling as I would have liked either. I'm still thinking I may be able to get this finished in time, but I don't know for sure.

Here are a few in progress pictures, and you can see why it might be taking a while...

Cockpit area: Cockpit itself is NeOmega. Added some detail to the glareshield to make it a bit more interesting and accurate, will add a PE HUD later, last step before putting the canopy on. The Kit supplied Refueling probe was dropped into the trash, this probe was sourced from the Revell Tornado, with a nice hole cut into the fuselage. Filled in the recess with Milliput. The kit spotlights were also ground off because they were rather soft and poorly defined. Replaced with pieces of strap styrene.

Added some hydraulic lines to the Main landing gear, and little bits here and there to dress them up a bit. You can also a bit of detail added to the outside gear well areas. Similar treatment to the Nose gear as well, just didn't take a picture of it. I'm going to be using the Tally-Ho resin wheels, which are very nice in and of themselves.

One of the larger pains in my butt was boxing in the Main landing gear wells. Once the fuselage halves are together I will add the door opening rams to the the center of the "floor" in this picture. The next step will be to build the front gear well from scratch. While a pain in the butt to build, easier and cleaner that wiping out Italeri's detail in the provided gear well, and trying to add mine while it is still in the model. Easier to do it from the outside, and then attach that to the kit.

Last picture for tonight: The exhaust nozzles are not quite finished, I have yet to add the inner portions of the turkey feathers. The screech liners are in place in the back however. They started out their life as a piece of Evergreen corrugated siding. After a great deal of sanding to bring them down to a very thin and flexible thickness they were added to the inside. the effect is pretty nice and I've done this on a number of exhausts before.

Also the tail sting, 6mm removed as per Ken's review of the kit, and as I'm doing "Blue 43" I added the pieces on the side. I would imagine that they are antennaes of some sort, but I have no idea.

The whole kit has been rescribed and sanded to get rid of the normal Italeri soft panel lines and pebbley surface texture. Not quite done yet, but getting closer...

-Jared

LOVE IT Jared!!!

Which numers are you gonna use? Italeri ones are too short and RoG are too narrow. I just received "Flankers on Patrol 2" and the numbers seem to be the proper size.

Thanks for all the kind words everybody, and as requested here are a few more pictures.

Efrain,

I haven't not quite arrived at my decal number solution for the Blue 43, I currently have the Flankers on Patrol 1 sheet that has a couple of "34"s that I'm not going to use, but the digits look a bit too fat to my eye. It might wind up being one of those "I'll do the art myself, and when I finally get enough stuff to fill a whole sheet I'll get somebody to print it on their ALPS for me" kind of situation.

Here are a couple of pictures of the nose gear well as it stands this evening. On the front end I tried to make it look like you were seeing the back side of the cockpit door, I don't know if it will be really all that discernable in the photo once posted. Not quite done, but roughed in.

Also note the bumps for the Radar Altimeter (at least that's what I'm assuming it is) in front of the intake.

The Landing gear,

Just to show the little bits and pieces that I've added to them to make them a bit more visually cluttered, and accurize them as well. Some of it is not 100% accurate, but its an attempt to represent the most obvious points, and capture the right look on the rest of it. I'm going crazy enough as it is on this build to try to get it 100%.

The seperate piece on the right is going to wind up being the FOD guard on the front gear. The one supplied with the kit wasn't especially great, and it wouldn't fit around the aftermarket wheels, so sheet and rod styrene again sweep to the rescue!

Here is a shot to display the overall arrangement of the main landing gear wells. They mesh decently when the fuselage halfs are placed together, but far from perfect, I think that I'll be happy with it in the end. Lots and lots of test fitting to try to get everything to line up correctly on this one.

One thing I will definately not get done for this group build but will eventually go on the airplane is a Moskit and the assiciated launcher. The Moskit is more or less done, a little bit more scribing and some of the detail work is left yet to do. Haven't even come close to starting the launcher yet, which will be a whole other model on its own. I'll take a shot or two of the Moskit and my steps if anybody is interested in how I did it in 1/72 scale.

And yes, I do have the Short verticle stabilizers to go with this kit, sourced from a cheapo Italeri Su-27 kit, raised lines sanded off and rescribed to match the rest of the model. Nothing exciting there, so I didn't bother with any pictures.

Cheers,

-Jared

The Landing gear,

Just to show the little bits and pieces that I've added to them to make them a bit more visually cluttered, and accurize them as well. Some of it is not 100% accurate, but its an attempt to represent the most obvious points, and capture the right look on the rest of it. I'm going crazy enough as it is on this build to try to get it 100%.

The seperate piece on the right is going to wind up being the FOD guard on the front gear. The one supplied with the kit wasn't especially great, and it wouldn't fit around the aftermarket wheels, so sheet and rod styrene again sweep to the rescue!

Great work Jared,

Are you going to make a fixed ladder for the nosewheel leg ??

The first couple of prototypes had a detachable ladder :-

su-34_04.jpg

But the latest ones have a small one fixed to the leg .... I assume to place less reliance on ground support ?

su-32_09.jpg

More pics at :- http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/flanke.../nosewheels.htm

Happy Flankering !!

Ken

Are you going to make a fixed ladder for the nosewheel leg ??

Hey Ken,

This question is one that I have pondered, with my skills and the tools I have available, I don't think that I would be able to get the fixed ladder on the later prototypes. The only way I could think to do the curves would be to form it out of wire, but then attaching the rungs? I would imagine that they could be soldered, but I neither have the equipment or skill for that. Additionally, I'm planning on doing 43 early in it's career anyway. There is one picture on your site of it loaded with a Moskit, and I'm planning to (eventually) represent that, athough I might change up the rest of the armament on the wings, so it will be a little bit of a "what if" loadout.

So anyway, back to the ladder question, my story will be that I'm using the detachable orange ladder, and I've yet to decide if I want to actually build it, or if it has been "carted away by the ground crew."

Cheers,

-Jared

Hey Skuki,

Haven't started the Moskit Pylon yet, or else I'd give you a pic of it. I have a plan and an idea in my head of how I am going to do it, just have not yet...

I think I've seen two different front ends to the pylons, but I don't know if they are two fundamentally different pylons, or if they just evolved...

-Jared

Hey Skuki,

Haven't started the Moskit Pylon yet, or else I'd give you a pic of it. I have a plan and an idea in my head of how I am going to do it, just have not yet...

I think I've seen two different front ends to the pylons, but I don't know if they are two fundamentally different pylons, or if they just evolved...

-Jared

I don't think that a Su-33 - or even a Su-34 for that matter - has actually flown with a 'real' Moskit - much less fired one.

AFAIK, the Moskit shown in the pics is a mock-up - and so, presumably, is the pylon/mounting arrangement.

Ken

Maybe it isn't real pylon.

Jared, I also think that it is the same pylon only with two diferent front ends. Maybe one is real, and another isn't. Never mind, I will build the one shown on the picture of aircrfat I am building.