Romulan Warbird

About 60 hours of masking and painting ! Masked with frisket paper, airbrushed base green then lighter and darker shades. Sealed the model with future floorwax then added oil paints, finished with Testors Dullcoat. About 2500 windows were drilled (#80 drill bit and I didn't even break 1 !) just deep enough to smear yellow or black oil paint into the holes.

Edited by Zactoman
  • 3 weeks later...
I agree totally nutz 

Yes, I agree, totaly freakin nutz!

Color was hand mixed using modelmaster enamel paints. Reference was mostly the TV set, recorded and paused VCR. Very few still photos are out there.

2500 windows sounds like a lot, but once you've got lines penciled on the model, drilling went really fast (It's a rhythm thing).

Damn dude, so far the best warbird I've seen..... what do you do for living.... how can you find time to drill 2500 holes!!!!!... I agree with all the rest.... thats NUTZ!!!!....... :thumbsup:

your model looks better that the actual model used on the show... lol

nice work

:wave:

Thanks guys :D

Backgrounds are done in photoshop.

Models are trimmed with polygon-lasso tool. Just zoom-in close and click-click-click away, copy and paste.

Some of the Starfields I found on the net, others I made.

I was feeling powerful one day and decided to create a bunch of my own planets.

Photoshop is a great program that lets you create layers (like illustrating with layers of clear acetate). The planets are a circular selection that I fill with the base color then add various layers on top of that. Individual layers are run through filters such as ripple and blur. Smudge tool here and there. Different opacities and color tweaks. Drop a shadow on one edge, and boom, got yourself a planet.

Check out this posting I did, it's one of my favorite planets with it's little swirly hurricane looking storm thingy going on. Klingon Battlecruiser

• 4 months later...

Zactoman.

Sorry to flog a dead horse and bring this up.

Your model looks fantastic. Very inspirational. I have the ST Adversary set with this one in it.

How did you do the engine lights?

:thumbsup:

Nenad

Shame on me, I didn't mention that in any of the previous text :thumbsup:

I didn't light it...

I cheated.

Photoshop!

On the model I tinted the clear parts green and backed them with shiny aluminum foil. Not as nice as lighting, but when the light hits them just right they look pretty cool.

:thumbsup: