1/24th OV-10D+ Bronco

MAN OH MAN!!! i must have missed this build somehow. this thing is AWESOME! i must admit, the bronco isn't my favorite plane as far as looks, but this is an incredible build. i like the fact you went with such a large scale too. you can have the pilots car parked next to it...perhaps a mustang driver, bronco pilot. keep up the great work and updates, i'll watch this one closely to steal....um i mean borrow ideas. :rolleyes:

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a quick update on the latest work.

I have temporarily mounted the engine in the nacelle. I used some pieces of "Fun Tack" poster hanging adhesive, to hold the engine in place. The plastic mounts were gluded with SMALL drops of super glue. The big tube at the center was bent to fit around the engine and it is glued to the lords mounts on the back of the engine case. The lord mounts are made from sections of aluminum tube and the are mounted to pins that stick out of the engine case. They were not glued together at this point. Once all the trusses are glued together the cage will separate from the engine for painting and further detailing, but retain the engine's alignment once installed permanently. (I'll post better pictures later, once I pull the parts out of the nacelles).

engmount11ms0.jpg

engmount10dw4.jpg

engmount9yc2.jpg

engmount8gy9.jpg

engmount7yz7.jpg

engmount4uo4.jpg

engmount3np1.jpg

engmount1tn7.jpg

The props were also assembled. Here are some shots of the prop and the jig used for alignment.

prop2pa9.jpg

prop3mi8.jpg

That's it for now more soon!

hey... I was actually looking for a pic of that view... Thanks there sir!!!

BTW, sir, is it ok to use your in progress pics so that I can scratchbuilt a cockpit set for the 1/48 scale testors kit? I've just recently acquired sir Neil's OV-10A/D sets for my 2 testors kits, but I want to improve the detail on the cockpit and add the cargo bay, undercarriage and engines...

That's a pretty simple prop jig there sir... hmmm... maybe I'll make something like that later...

• 4 weeks later...

Work has been continuing with a bunch of small items. The engine is as complete as it can get until I get some paint on it. Before I paint again I am getting all the rest of the part made. Once the paint is done I'll be on to final assembly.

This is the windshield wiper, a pilot's Nav. Bag and the boarding ladder.

misc1hq2.jpg

The engine mount.

misc2uh1.jpg

The next two are the engine hatches.

misc3is5.jpg

misc4qw8.jpg

Here's the HGU-55 helmet, visor and boom mike also the lower anti-collision light.

misc5oe0.jpg

VHF and UHF antennas and the avionics boxes for the aft clamshell.

misc6nk7.jpg

Next the machine guns and (windshield wiper again).

misc7cr8.jpg

Here is one of 12 safety pin flags and the pitot tube cover and flag.

misc8tp8.jpg

The last two are of the clamshell.

clamshell2il9.jpg

clamshell1yp9.jpg

That's it for now more soon!

Timmy!

Well I am now going to be headed to the paint booth. Here are some shots of some more parts plus some better shots of the stuff I posted yesterday.

Here is a wheel chock which will be molded and duplicated.

chockgd2.jpg

A little better shot of the helmet, boom mike and visor.

helmet1xf4.jpg

A better shot of the interior of the engine doors.

engdoor2ul7.jpg

The ALE-39 chaff/flare dispensers.

ale39xu4.jpg

Last one a better shot of the windshield wiper.

windwipe2st6.jpg

Next post I should be on to final assembly!

Timmy!

Continuing a truly amazing build. I am astounded by every set of pics that is posted. The Helmet is awesome and the detail for the clamshell is outstanding.

Cheers,

Dave

Allright!!! Nearly there!!! Too bad I'm still stuck with the cockpit on mine... man I have a LLLOOONNNGGG way to go with my OV-10D+...

That helmet sure looks just like the one my dad used to wear when he was flying OV-10s... (and I get to keep it for myself!!!)

BTW, do you plan to include the figures of the Pilot and the Observer?

And final question for now, since your'e nearly done with the D+, are you planning to accompany this one with the OV-10A?

Allright!!! Nearly there!!! Too bad I'm still stuck with the cockpit on mine... man I have a LLLOOONNNGGG way to go with my OV-10D+...

That helmet sure looks just like the one my dad used to wear when he was flying OV-10s... (and I get to keep it for myself!!!)

BTW, do you plan to include the figures of the Pilot and the Observer?

And final question for now, since your'e nearly done with the D+, are you planning to accompany this one with the OV-10A?

Nope no figures just the evidence of them. I'm not sure if I am going to do an A model or not. Certainly not right away. If I do I will kick myself for not molding and coping more parts.

Timmy!

Nope no figures just the evidence of them. I'm not sure if I am going to do an A model or not. Certainly not right away. If I do I will kick myself for not molding and coping more parts.

Timmy!

Ah I see... well given the magnitude of this work I guess its just right to take a well deserved break after...

But still, this is one fine piece of work!

Keep it up sir!!! :thumbsup:

I have another question sir, about the cargo bay door clamshell...

that silver plating on the left side of the clamshell, is it also present on the right side?

Thanks!

Not on the prototype I am building. I have seen several different versions though. I think the first versions of the OV-10D had doors on both sides. Most of the OV-10D+ (post SLEP) aircraft I have seen only have one door. Some have an operating door others, like the one I am building have the frame for the door with a panel covering the opening that is not operable. I guess the answer is it depends on which aircraft you are building. If you are not building a specific one then you have options.

Timmy!

Not on the prototype I am building. I have seen several different versions though. I think the first versions of the OV-10D had doors on both sides. Most of the OV-10D+ (post SLEP) aircraft I have seen only have one door. Some have an operating door others, like the one I am building have the frame for the door with a panel covering the opening that is not operable. I guess the answer is it depends on which aircraft you are building. If you are not building a specific one then you have options.

Timmy!

I see...

Maybe I'll just build the D+ with only one door panel on the clamshell... Since I do also notice that most (or all of them) D+s that I saw only have one door on the port side...

Thanks for the tips sir!!! Looking forward to the final assembly!!! :thumbsup: