1/24th OV-10D+ Bronco

It has been a long while without news on this project. I have had a three steps forward one step back situation with this build. You will notice that it is looking more like an airplane. The nose and sponsons have been roughed out and I'm starting the next layer of detail. Skins are done in aluminum sheet and riveted in the same manner as before. Link to previous rivet thread. Several of the skin joints are lap joints.

You may notice the canopy is gone. Despite my best efforts it got contaminated with dust. (There is a Star Wars quote there somewhere.) So off it came. I also noticed that the center frame of the windscreen was not centered so that is going to be rebuilt. I'm getting used to the fact that with this scratch building stuff you might plan to do everything twice - it seems to be working out that way. But usually the second attempt is better than the first.

More to follow soon. I have recovered my motivation for this project so if all goes as planned, regular updates should return.

Timmy!

skin5rv4.th.jpg skin4ea6.th.jpg skin3nv7.th.jpg skin2az4.th.jpg skin1gp6.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some shots of the nose as the layering of detail continues. APR antenna mounts have been faired in. Cooling scoops for the FLIR have been formed and attached. They were made with solid form and styrene smash cast (poor mans vacuum form). The inside was then faired in with Miliput putty. There is an AOA probe on the left side, hinges for the FLIR compartment door on the top of the nose (red squares) and photo etched locks for the FLIR door (left and right sides). You will notice that the canopy is back on. Exterior framing of the canopy is next and then I'll keep working aft with the details.

nosedet2aw3.th.jpg nosedet9fm6.th.jpg nosedet7up1.th.jpg nosedet4mq2.th.jpg nosedet1md0.th.jpg nosedet3hj7.th.jpg

I got a little bit more done this weekend. Most time consuming part was the center canopy support. There are more pieces in this thing than it looks. I also added some of the canopy framing. Hinges were added to the aft canopy door, but the photos are a little washed out (sorry). When I post again I'll show how I did the hinges. There is also one left over picture that should have gone with the last post; that is the exhaust ports under the nose, for the FLIR.

canopyframe10rt9.th.jpg canopyframe1mi7.th.jpg canopyframe3oh4.th.jpg canopyframe4rp5.th.jpg canopyframe8xw0.th.jpg canopyframe7wl7.th.jpg canopyframe9iu9.th.jpg

As promised here are some shots of how I did the canopy hinges.

They started as photo-etched hinges that were supposed to work like the real thing. The photo-etched part was to be bent over a small wire and made into a real hinge. I could get this to work and look right so I ditched that plan. The photo-etched part did make a very good pattern for hinge representation in plastic.

One end of the photo-etched part was cut off, to make a comb like part. Then it was taped down of a piece of .005 plastic and was carefully cut out. The ends were trimmed and placed on the model. These pictures should tell the story a little better.

canopyfrm14nd6.th.jpg canopyfrm9jd9.th.jpg canopyfrm11sv7.th.jpg canopyfrm13zx1.th.jpg

The framing on the canopy is complete, here are a few shots of that detail.

canopyfrm3gl1.th.jpg canopyfrm5qp5.th.jpg canopyfrm4vf1.th.jpg

Timmy, where are you getting your metal sheet from?

Jake,

I get my sheet metal from a craft store. I guess the technical name for this stuff is "tooling metal". It is used by crafters to tool pretty designs - you know flowers and birds and what not.

I did a quick google and here is the first place I found that has the brand I use. Art Emboss.

As you can see it comes in several colors. I use the light aluminum, and have some heavier gauge pewter as well. I'll post some shots of the stuff when I get a chance.

Timmy!

Here are some shots of details that were added. Folding stepladder mount, antenna mounts, centerline hard point and pylons. At this point I need a coat of primer so I can see what I am doing. The multi-color filler and metal are hiding flaws I cant see. One there is some paint then I will scribe the few panel lines and add flush rivet and panel screws. Then it will be on to the wing.

fusedetails7xg9.th.jpg fusedetails6gd6.th.jpg fusedetails5ct0.th.jpg fusedetails4km2.th.jpg fusedetails3xd0.th.jpg fusedetails2tc1.th.jpg fusedetails1ej5.th.jpg

Timmy - do you have a job & family & a need for nutrition or are you a 24/7 model maker???

I'm gonna show this to my wife - she thinks I'm crazy for spending 10-15 hours scratching up a 1/72 Thunderflash cockpit LINK. You just made me look like Father of the Year mate - you legend :cheers:

I only just found this thread & I'm in awe - your patience and skill is amazing. I've been looking at some pics of Broncs in recent editions of FSM & thinking what a neat looking a/c they were. But if I do one, it'll be a very pedestrian 1/72 kit - alas, not enough display space for 1/24 (yet - I have plans :wacko:)

Edited by Thommo

Thanks for the recent kudos - I do appreciate it and I find it motivating to keep the project moving forward.

Timmy - do you have a job & family & a need for nutrition or are you a 24/7 model maker???

I'm gonna show this to my wife - she thinks I'm crazy for spending 10-15 hours scratching up a 1/72 Thunderflash cockpit LINK. You just made me look like Father of the Year mate - you legend :blink:

I only just found this thread & I'm in awe - your patience and skill is amazing. I've been looking at some pics of Broncs in recent editions of FSM & thinking what a neat looking a/c they were. But if I do one, it'll be a very pedestrian 1/72 kit - alas, not enough display space for 1/24 (yet - I have plans :cheers:)

Thommo,

I do eat, when I remember, and I have a small business that I am getting off the ground. I pretty much build on weekends. This project has been going for a while. Back in 2003 is when I started the drawings and I began building the thing in 2004. I like to think that I am not obsessed with the project, but my wife does tell me that I get that mad scientist look, after a few straight hours of building.

BTW nice Thunderstreak! Looks like you are doing the same as me just smaller scale. :D

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!
Thanks for the recent kudos - I do appreciate it and I find it motivating to keep the project moving forward.

Thommo,

I do eat, when I remember, and I have a small business that I am getting off the ground. I pretty much build on weekends. This project has been going for a while. Back in 2003 is when I started the drawings and I began building the thing in 2004. I like to think that I am not obsessed with the project, but my wife does tell me that I get that mad scientist look, after a few straight hours of building.

BTW nice Thunderstreak! Looks like you are doing the same as me just smaller scale. :cheers:

Timmy!

I admire your patience - going at it for 3 years is amazing. I start like you, but then tend to want to rush & get to the end. I'm afraid my Thunderstreak is a long way behind yours mate, but I'm quite happy with the cockpit given it's only 1/72.

Can't wait to see more progress on the Bronc.

Timmy, just re-read the whole thread from page 1. Just love it. Just incase you didn't know, once you've uploaded your picture onto Imageshack, the list of all the possible links comes up...copy the bottom one. In your reply window, click the little 'picture' button, paste the link into it and when you hit post, your picture will be directly put on your post, instead of making the user click each individual picture.

I say this because when I click each image, not only do I get a display of masterful building, I also get pop ups! :(

Anyway, GREAT build.

Edited by PapaSmurf630
Timmy, just re-read the whole thread from page 1. Just love it. Just incase you didn't know, once you've uploaded your picture onto Imageshack, the list of all the possible links comes up...copy the bottom one. In your reply window, click the little 'picture' button, paste the link into it and when you hit post, your picture will be directly put on your post, instead of making the user click each individual picture.

I say this because when I click each image, not only do I get a display of masterful building, I also get pop ups! :cheers:

Anyway, GREAT build.

Roger that,

I was unaware of a pop-up issue. I like the direct pictures better too! So I will work on that. Thanks for the heads up. :(