1/24th OV-10D+ Bronco

It has been a few weeks and there has been progress - but it has not been spectacular. Lots of tedious detail work.

I started with a coat of primer. These shots are with ruler to give some sense of size. The fuselage is about 12" or 30.5 cm long and it weighs 7oz. or 200g.

fusefnldet8ov5.jpg

fusefnldet7kz3.jpg

fusefnldet6qm5.jpg

fusefnldet5va1.jpg

Here is one wing panel. (Ruler for size.) I have filled it with balsa to ready it for sheeting with styrene.

fusefnldet4gf0.jpg

The airplane was then sanded with 800 grit paper, removing most of the primer, and panel screws and surface details were added.

fusefnldet13qp2.jpg

fusefnldet12eg4.jpg

fusefnldet11wp7.jpg

fusefnldet10gq4.jpg

fusefnldet9vg3.jpg

...post continued.

fusefnldet3np2.jpg

fusefnldet2kc6.jpg

Despite my best efforts some rivets were lost. But I found that JB Weld applied with a sharp toothpick worked well.

fusefnldet14th1.jpg

Last I built the guts for the FLIR turret. I only had a front view so there is a little creativity here. You would see much of it in the end so I wasn't too worried about it not being perfect. The turret itself was turned and milled from solid acrylic rod.

fusefnldet16lz9.jpg

fusefnldet15na0.jpg

I have been working on the wings. Here are some shots of that progress. In the previous post there is a shot of the wing prior to sheeting. The upper half was filled with balsa and then sheeted with styrene. I used contact cement to do the job, with a little super glue for the stubborn edges.

Here is the upper sheeting on.

wingskin4qa9.jpg

Unfilled lower half.

wingskin3li4.jpg

The lower half rough filled with balsa wood.

wingskin2eu9.jpg

Upper and lower sheeted wings.

wingskin1lr6.jpg

Wingtips next then I'll put them on my jig and join the two halves.

Great work on the wings sir!!!

BTW, will the wingtips be vacu-formed or cast?

Thanks Hans - I appreciate the support!

The wingtips were built up with sheet plastic and bondo, in the same way I did the underside and nose of the fuselage. (The are actually done - pictures soon).

Timmy!

Thanks Hans - I appreciate the support!

The wingtips were built up with sheet plastic and bondo, in the same way I did the underside and nose of the fuselage. (The are actually done - pictures soon).

Timmy!

Oh I see!!! :D

This model should be in FSM!!! Its time that (hopefully) model manufacturers give a second look for this airplane, and make a decent kit for it!!! ;)

And as for model contest, I'm betting for this as a show stealer!!! :huh: :yahoo:

Here are the shots of the wing tips.

cargowing5dh0.jpg

I was planning to make the overhead section of the cargo bay integral to the wing, but if I did that I could not join the wing halves and remove the wing for detailing and painting. So what you are seeing here is the overhead section the cargo bay that is on the real aircraft the underside of the wing.

Here are the early construction shots.

cargowing2mt2.jpg

cargowing1if2.jpg

Paint and some details added.

cargowing6sx8.jpg

cargowing7ew2.jpg

Wiring and installation next.

I forgot to ask but how are you getting uniform rivets like that? I'm doing all mine by eye at the moment, but will be needing a more accurate way of doing the larger areas...

Jake,

I am using a "seni-Press" with "The Riveter" attachment. These are available at Micro-Mark tool company. Type in the riveter in the search box of this link. I have a couple of old threads that are part of this build search OV-10D+ and you find the others. Here is the page where I describe the riveting process. Old Thread.

Hope that helps,

Timmy!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I mentioned in my reply that I was going to paint the fuselage before I put the major sub assemblies together...well that is what I have started. Here are some shots of the gray color applied. This is going to be a three tone black, gray and green scheme. (Hey that rhymes…poet and I dint know it!). Anyway I have chosen to us Floquil colors and with that choice I have had to mix my own colors. Another first for me, thanks to this project. I have mixed two colors and have spent 8 hours in mixing time to get them right. Starting with colors chosen from the rack that looked closest to the color I wanted, I spayed the raw color on a 3x5 index card and compared it to my Federal Standard Colors chip book. Then I added color drop by drop spraying each mixture on a new 3x5 card until I close. Careful counting of drops and taking notes on each card I made is a must here. Once I thought I had the color on the card I sprayed some on plastic sheet and made sure it was right. When the ratio of colors was right I mixed a full bottle using a teaspoon instead of a dropper to make a bottleful of the color. After all that work was done I am scaling the color from there. My base scale color is 10 drops color + one drop of white. I will be doing some "on purpose" touch-ups with different shades so I won't mix a full bottle of scale color. In fact I am counting on small variations of shading to give a realistic and subtle mottled effect.

Here is the Federal Standard Colors chip book - if you have not seen one.

1stpaint1wn8.jpg

Some shots of the gray on the fuse. There are still flaws and they will be fixed. I am doing my best to keep as little paint on the model as possible, in other words keep the final coat of paint as thin as possible. That is why I did not shoot the whole thing gray.

1stpaint4jy2.jpg

1stpaint3qn3.jpg

1stpaint12rf4.jpg

1stpaint11pv4.jpg

1stpaint6nk6.jpg

Last a shot of the pitot tube. I was turned from solid brass rod.

1stpaint8lg7.jpg

Oh yeah for those of you wondering here are the Floquil mixes I have established so far. (NO GAURANTEE THIS WORKS FOR YOU!)

Dark (Compass) Ghost Gray FS 36320

22 parts Reefer White

8 Parts Reefer Gray

1 Part Conrail Blue

Field Green FS 34095

6 Parts Depot Olive

5 Parts Rail Box Yellow

3 Parts Engine Black

• 3 weeks later...

I got my new airbrush an Iwata Custom Micron and boy howdy is it cool! Here are some shots of the first layer of color. Still some runs and blemishes that will be addressed. I'll work on getting some better pictures once the final colors are on.

color9vp0.jpg

color8wd0.jpg

color7yi4.jpg

color5rz9.jpg

color4xi1.jpg

color3xi6.jpg

color2py1.jpg

color1fw7.jpg