1/24th OV-10D+ Bronco

Timmy, how big is your spraybooth? :blink:

John

It's a 15"x30" booth that I got from micro mark. To be honest its even too small to really paint inside the thing. It's big enough to catch most sttuff if I'm painting close too it. I consider it a big ventilation tool. Hope that answer's your question.

Timmy!

Here is a taste of what is to come, markings wise. I have shot the modex number with a frisket mask. The marking was done on the computer and printed on the paper side of frisket masking film.

data1bc1.jpg

The pilot and observer names were done with the photo etched masks I had made earlier on. Look back in the thread where I worked on cargo compartment, there is a demo of how those masks work.

data3mz7.jpg

data2xa2.jpg

Timmy!

I may be doing the observer's name over again though - it should be all inside the black area. I may have to move the black line over a bit to make things fit. This is the glory of scratch building - good thing the masks are reusable.

This thing is awesome! What I really like is the sort of "rough" look that comes from being hand made at this size, as are the real ones (maybe that's the key?) that makes one totaly lose a sense of scale. Looking at this seems like looking at the real thing.

Pete

This thing is awesome! What I really like is the sort of "rough" look that comes from being hand made at this size, as are the real ones (maybe that's the key?) that makes one totaly lose a sense of scale. Looking at this seems like looking at the real thing.

Pete

Thanks Pete!

I am indeed shooting for the "rough" look. Most of "errors" were and will be done deliberately. I'm hoping that pictures of my aiprlane look like pictures of the real thing. 99% of the markings will be done with the photo etch masks - so far they are working better than I was expecting, but just as I had hoped.

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!

Nobert - you are welcome I am glad you are enjoying the build.

Here are some shots after a few hours in the spray booth. The markings for the fuse are pretty much complete. There will be two POW/MIA stickers added under the crew names. I'm not sure how I am going to mount these. They will be decals but I might apply the decals to Bare Metal Foil and then add them or just apply the decal directly to the paint. I'll be experimenting before I choose. I'm moving on to smaller details that will be hard to add once the wing is on. But I should be moving on to skinning the wing and attaching it to the fuselage.

I'll let the pics do the talking....

data17ts2.jpg

data9tr8.jpg

data12qq2.jpg

data11mj0.jpg

data15bz8.jpg

data16bx4.jpg

data8to8.jpg

More soon...

Timmy!

Timmy, I am really enjoying your progress on this project :cheers:

Just a quick question on the FS Color book. Is it similar to the Pantone Color Guides where they recommend you change them every year due to fading/aging?

Andy,

Good question. I am not familiar with that practice. There aren't any specific directions to do that for the FS color charts. The chips themselves seem to be actual paint. I suspect that the translucent nature of printer ink may be a reason to change colors because of fading. As I think about it my color chips are not exposed to direct sunlight and doubt that they fade too much. Even if they had, matching to a faded color may not be wrong, the real plane is going to fade. I lightened my colors to resemble natural fading and scale effect until they looked "right."

Hope that answers the question.

Timmy!

• 4 weeks later...

After a little holiday break I'm back with the wing. I have sheeted it and you'll notice the subassemblies thus far are mounted in the building jig. It's good to see the project looking like an OV-10 now.

wingsheet13mq5.jpg

wingsheet12bd6.jpg

wingsheet4xy0.jpg

wingsheet9oa9.jpg

wingsheet8gl5.jpg

wingsheet1ik1.jpg

wingsheet10bv5.jpg

wingsheet11sr2.jpg

You need to stop taking photos of the real airplane and pass them off as your model!!!! Great work Timmy keep it up still looking for that coke can haha Erick

I promise there will be a coke can! ...as long as there is one in your next project!

Nice one sir!!! Keep it coming!!!

P.S. We all saw that the forward portions of the taill booms are still not there... So does this mean that all of the engines will be build? Or just one of them, like you've said earlier? (to have both engines would be a nice thing IMHO)...

Till then sir!!! Keep us posted!!!

Nice one sir!!! Keep it coming!!!

P.S. We all saw that the forward portions of the taill booms are still not there... So does this mean that all of the engines will be build? Or just one of them, like you've said earlier? (to have both engines would be a nice thing IMHO)...

Till then sir!!! Keep us posted!!!

Hans,

I'm just going to do one engine opened up. I'm try to have a "two sided" model where the right side is opened up with the canopy and engine compartment and the left side is "clean." So when you look at the left side you will see the true shape of the airframe and the then you can look at the right side and see the details.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear.

BTW the forward boom parts have been vacuum formed, but I still need to actually fit the booms to the wing before I add those parts. Once I have the wing installed on the fuselage and painted I'll move on to the booms.

Timmy!

Hans,

I'm just going to do one engine opened up. I'm try to have a "two sided" model where the right side is opened up with the canopy and engine compartment and the left side is "clean." So when you look at the left side you will see the true shape of the airframe and the then you can look at the right side and see the details.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear.

BTW the forward boom parts have been vacuum formed, but I still need to actually fit the booms to the wing before I add those parts. Once I have the wing installed on the fuselage and painted I'll move on to the booms.

Timmy!

Oh don't apologize sir!!! I think its a great idea!!! Showing 2 configs in 1 model!!! Neat!!!

Um, It may sound "annoying" to you now, but can I ask, do you plan to publish your -D+ plans here in ARC? I'm now planning to do a 1/32 scale version, and the trouble is, I'm starting to run into some pitfalls, before even getting started... It looks like the flight manual & the walkaround pics I have is still not enough, especially in the fuse' and the engines... :banana:

Edited by Hans