1/24th OV-10D+ Bronco

Oh don't apologize sir!!! I think its a great idea!!! Showing 2 configs in 1 model!!! Neat!!!

Um, It may sound "annoying" to you now, but can I ask, do you plan to publish your -D+ plans here in ARC? I'm now planning to do a 1/32 scale version, and the trouble is, I'm starting to run into some pitfalls, before even getting started... It looks like the flight manual & the walkaround pics I have is still not enough, especially in the fuse' and the engines... ;)

Actually I am going to publish a book about this project -with much more detail about the build plus a complete set of plans. I'm working on the book now - no promises on when it comes out, ut should be not too long after I complete the project.

Timmy!

Um, do you already have a price range for this book? I would surely buy one, and hopefully an autograped copy!!! :pray:

Sorry not yet. I'm researching publishing options, and the book is only in its begining stages. I'll keep you posted on its development.

Timmy!

Here is a quick update. Two of the four flaps have been built. The flaps are plastic, sheet brass and aluminum sheet. There are some photo-etched parts too.

flap3tb4.jpg

flap1ti6.jpg

flap2oi9.jpg

The wing has been attched to the fuselage and faired in, photos of that soon.

Timmy!

Hellow Hans:

I'll be very sincere, but the first time that began to see your work, I thought that was a simple airplane like a toy, somewhat rough, and very simple (by the simple reason that the first steps in your assemblies wound somewhat ugly, as for example the color of the red plastic that is not very often to see constructions with that type of plastic). But I believe that I mistook me until seeing all your full process of building. Really it is surprising to see so much virtuousism, to build all an airplane from zero (above all the cabin that is the best of the model, is very realistic).

Ok, I would like to know if the photoetched that you used, they are of own elaboration???

Well... still it remains a lot of work to do, and really is remaining you well, to if that continues thus.

Just keep going

:D

Dear Timmy,

Thank you for your progress that I realize if we insist and lve to build model by our own imagination and creativity, buying the complete kit or aftermarket items is not neccesary. I usually think I already master the technique of modelling, but after see your hard working, I recognize, I am just a low class model fan, not even a builder. Because of you, I now have more confidence on building what I miss from original open box kit. Oh yeah, one thing I realize is that you have been using the plastic sheet is in yellow or red or blue color. May you tell me where you get those? And what tool you use to cut them that the cutting edge is so smooth.

Sinceerly yours,

Bang

looks good! :woot.gif: was this the cwo that was shot down during Gulf War 1?

I believe so, I know for sure that LCol Acree was a POW. (Forgive me if he has been promoted - let me know and I'll do the push ups). The real aircraft has POW stickers below each name, so i am assuming so.

Ok, I would like to know if the photoetched that you used, they are of own elaboration???

Yes I made custom artwork and had several hundred photo-etched parts made.

Thank you for your progress that I realize if we insist and lve to build model by our own imagination and creativity, buying the complete kit or aftermarket items is not neccesary. I usually think I already master the technique of modelling, but after see your hard working, I recognize, I am just a low class model fan, not even a builder. Because of you, I now have more confidence on building what I miss from original open box kit. Oh yeah, one thing I realize is that you have been using the plastic sheet is in yellow or red or blue color. May you tell me where you get those? And what tool you use to cut them that the cutting edge is so smooth.

Sinceerly yours,

Bang

Bang,

Thanks very much! The tools I use for cutting thin plastic is a sharp scalpel. I also sand the cut edges smooth. The cutting action make a ridge that needs to be sanded smooth.

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!

You really need to stop modelling :D and give us meger guys a chance :D :D Looking sharp as always bro This should definately head to a museum when you get done so other people can see your work. I will get the coke can made for the Tomcat if you do one for the Bronco, deal :huh: Erick

You really need to stop modelling :D and give us meger guys a chance :D :D Looking sharp as always bro This should definately head to a museum when you get done so other people can see your work. I will get the coke can made for the Tomcat if you do one for the Bronco, deal :huh: Erick

Deal!

Hi! I signed up just to say: AWESOME!

I absolutely love seeing scratchbuild projects come together and I haven't seen any work-in-progress report quite as detailed as yours.

Very inspiring stuff and it makes my fingers itch to get back to scratchbuilding myself (having started many but never finished any scratchbuild models and having abandoned modelling altogether 10+ years ago). My current home is not entirely suited for this hobby, but once I get the chance I will definitely pick it up again. Your post here will be of great help and inspiration.

Many thanks for sharing your hard work with us.

Just awesome! Keep it up and Merry Christmas! :)

Edited by Skyraider3D

Here are the fairing shots I promised. They are not the best photos, but I thing you'll get the gist of what I have done.

farings1pa6.jpg

farings2jg6.jpg

farings3ob3.jpg

farings5px1.jpg

In addition to the wing fairings the bump for the ALQ-144 has been added.

farings4ee4.jpg

farings6pu1.jpg

And after TWO solid weekends I have produced ONE aileron.

aileron1cz8.jpg

aileron2db7.jpg

aileron3lj2.jpg

That's it for now, more soon!

Timmy!

• 2 weeks later...

Work contiunes. I seems like each part is becoming its own little model. I have read many of the "what I built in 2006" threads and well I guess for me it has been lots of sub assemblies of this beast!

I have completed the other alieron and moved on to the wing stations. Here is the right one. in the center of the pylon are two brass tubes that will accept pins that will be installed on the wing and also the suspention lugs on the drop tank that will be built in the future.

winghardpt5xj2.jpg

winghardpt4fj7.jpg

winghardpt3br7.jpg

winghardpt2xp9.jpg

winghardpt1wv7.jpg

Left one is next then some small details will be added to the wing, then a little more painting.

This is the very first time that I've seen the wing pylons in detail...

Thanks sir!!! More!!!

Hans,

Keep in mind that these pylons are significantly different than the pylons on the A model. The A model pylons have a retangular trailing edge, that is, flat on the bottom. The surface detail is also different.

Timmy!

There should be an "Epic Builds" forum here on ARC.

And this should be be pinned as one of the very best.

I look for this thread to resurface about every other day or so, and when it does, I'm like a kid on Christmas morning, lol! Such incredible attention to detail, such fine craftmanship.

Timmy!, I hope you never get discouraged while building this Bronco. And if you do, just think of

the adoring masses you have here at ARC that await your updates with baited breath. <_<

There should be an "Epic Builds" forum here on ARC.

And this should be be pinned as one of the very best.

I look for this thread to resurface about every other day or so, and when it does, I'm like a kid on Christmas morning, lol! Such incredible attention to detail, such fine craftmanship.

Timmy!, I hope you never get discouraged while building this Bronco. And if you do, just think of

the adoring masses you have here at ARC that await your updates with baited breath. :D

Thanks very much, this project has almost become a way of life - I don't know what I am going to do when it's done!

I'll try to post more often, I hate to think you are disappointed on the days there is no update.

Timmy!

Hans,

Keep in mind that these pylons are significantly different than the pylons on the A model. The A model pylons have a retangular trailing edge, that is, flat on the bottom. The surface detail is also different.

Timmy!

Yup!!! The A pylons (and I also thing the other variants other than the D) are different from the D pylons...

But I saw some pics of some As with these kinds pf wing pylons...

Yup!!! The A pylons (and I also thing the other variants other than the D) are different from the D pylons...

But I saw some pics of some As with these kinds pf wing pylons...

You are right - I think I realized that as soon as I made my post. USAF models in their later years had these pylons and the FPU-3/A drop tanks too. In fact, my bird will have drop tankes painted in USAF Euro 1 scheme colors.

Timmy!

Oh I see!!!

Um, just wanna ask... I have the academy D+ kit here, and, along with those mods that I'm planning on the insides & out, I'll use the drop tanks from the A-37 kit of the same scale and brand...

Is it just ok? Or should I make one from scratch?

Oh I see!!!

Um, just wanna ask... I have the academy D+ kit here, and, along with those mods that I'm planning on the insides & out, I'll use the drop tanks from the A-37 kit of the same scale and brand...

Is it just ok? Or should I make one from scratch?

Hans,

That's a "it depends" question. The D flew with two tank types: the Aero 1C and the FPU-3/A. **edit** From my phots there are two types of FPU-3 tanks one has a smooth curvature from the tips to the center, the look alot like a vietnam era naplam canister. The other FPU/3 tanks are very similar to USAF/NAVY travel pods. They have a smoothly curved tips, then a straight tapered section leading the center.

Here are some photos of the FPU-3 types. **edit** I don't have any refferences for the Aero 1C, other than NATOPS gouge - no photos.

tank15vq.jpg

tank20qa.jpg

I am most familiar with 1/48th stuff, but the Hasegawa weapns set has napalm tanks that I would use for the **EDIT** curved FPU-3 and a travel pod from a Hasegawa F-16 kit would work for the FPU-3/A - fins would need to be added.

BTW the FPU-3/A had the advantage of being able to be filled to full capacity because it has a fill port in the aft section. The Aero 1C required the aircraft be jacked up at the nose by 4 degrees to fill the tank completely. The Aero 1C has a fill port in the forward section only, and with the wing at a negative angle of attack when on the ground, necessitaited the raising of the nose.

Timmy!

Notice the first pic - USAF A model.

***EDIT*** I HAVE BECOME AN UNWITTING PERVAOR OF BAD GOUGE! I CHECKED MY REFERENCES AND THE ABOVE IS NOW CORRECT - TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY.

Edited by Timmy!