1/24th OV-10D+ Bronco

Finally some more paint. I am pretty pleased with paint on. The flat paint really seems to even out the uneven surface of the foil. There were and are still many areas that will need attention. This coat is the "primer" coat. Flaws are touch to see in the aluminum and when different materaails join. I can tell that I need to use my airbrush more - with the extended build times between painting I'm getting rusty. I don't intend to use any clear coat, because I want to simulate the changes in specularity and subtle tonal differences of the paint of the real thing. But there is a fine line between the imperfect paint of the real thing and the blobs, splaters and overspray that I am achieving. I will say that by the end of the paint session I was getting pretty close so the final coat should look pretty good.

On to the pictures...

paint1ak7.jpg

paint8rh4.jpg

paint8nu6.jpg

paint7bo3.jpg

paint4bg4.jpg

Much of the paint will be smoothed and re-sprayed...the tail was painted to find flaws and the fasteners added.

paint5jy0.jpg

paint10cb2.jpg

paint6bi3.jpg

These shots show the engine cowling for the left engine and the bulkhead for the right - which will be opened up.

paint9yb1.jpg

paint3ui1.jpg

paint2vk5.jpg

More to follow.

Timmy!

Yup I've seen those sir, but there are some items there that I can't make up to...

your build of the seats are also helping me a lot, because you've shown how the seats are broken up into...

but drawings are a big boost for the build I'm doing...

Thanks a bunch again sir!!!

Hans,

I havn't forgotten about your request.

Try these on for size - they helped me a bunch.

seatdraw4mp1.jpg

seatdraw3aw3.jpg

seatdraw2sh0.jpg

seatdraw1hs2.jpg

Rather boring progress, more painting - I'll post more photos of the paint once the booms are attached.

In the mean time here is some progress on the FLIR turret.

The colored glass is clear styrene laminated with translucent / pearlescent wrapping paper. The close up shows a lot of distortion, but at actual size the effect is quite realistic.

The clear sections were "glued" with Future. I hope that they are bonded enough to survive masking.

flir5fp2.jpg

flir4xp5.jpg

flir3hn6.jpg

flir2zj3.jpg

flir1lv2.jpg

Booms get attached next - then landing gear.

Timmy!

Wow Timmy. I am eating a major portion of humble pie here. I thought my T4M was coming along nicely until I looked at this. I may as well just delete my thread and stay home...:). This is absolutely marvelous stuff. Between you, Pete "Pig" Flieshman, Pierre and Thundervette, ARC has some world class modelers. I love looking at work like this.

Cheers

Mike

Wow Timmy. I am eating a major portion of humble pie here. I thought my T4M was coming along nicely until I looked at this. I may as well just delete my thread and stay home...:thumbsup:. This is absolutely marvelous stuff. Between you, Pete "Pig" Flieshman, Pierre and Thundervette, ARC has some world class modelers. I love looking at work like this.

Cheers

Mike

You are absolutley forbiden to delete your thread. My project was inspired by others - no doubt you are doing the same for someone else. This forum has encouraged me to tackle a project of this size. Plus everyone builds differently and there is something to be learned from every post.

Thanks!

Timmy!

You are absolutley forbiden to delete your thread. My project was inspired by others - no doubt you are doing the same for someone else. This forum has encouraged me to tackle a project of this size. Plus everyone builds differently and there is something to be learned from every post.

Thanks!

Timmy!

Well said Mr. T!

Pete

This thing is getting fun now! With most of the major construction out of the way. The details are coming along. While I am waiting for the paint to cure on the airplane, I have been working on other stuff. To follow up the FLIR has been painted and finished. Also some small detail on the wing pylons. Admittedly not a lot done to these but the do look much better painted. I think it's hard to imagine what the final parts will look like with all the different materials that I am using, and the multiple colors of plastic that I am using.

Timmy!

flir8cv0.jpg

flir9cw5.jpg

flir7xa8.jpg

wingpylon5aa8.jpg

wingpylon4nd4.jpg

wingpylon3ds8.jpg

wingpylon2ob8.jpg

DSCF3027.jpg here you go.

it is a civie used in columbia...........

Bruno

Hans and Bruno,

Thanks! Hans still waiting so see some pics of your project and Bruno I'd love to see what you're up to!

Timmy!

Outstanding as usual Timmy...marvellous attention to detail everywhere.

Any chance of an overall shot with a ruler or something for scale reference.

Words cannot describe how much I am looking forward to this baby being finished.

Outstanding as usual Timmy...marvellous attention to detail everywhere.

Any chance of an overall shot with a ruler or something for scale reference.

Words cannot describe how much I am looking forward to this baby being finished.

Thanks!

I will get a scale shot for you - probably when I get the booms on.

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!
Hans and Bruno,

Thanks! Hans still waiting so see some pics of your project and Bruno I'd love to see what you're up to!

Timmy!

Well, I'm a very long ways from starting, unfortunately, have lots of models to finish first (all would be given to friends), plus, more models to repair... :whistle:

But, I'll post my In-progress images as soon as I get down to business!!! :rolleyes:

Um, sir, about those outboard fuel tanks...

it looks like its okay to use any of the 2 nose types

Yes. That's my position on the matter. I have photos of late models with both types of tanks.

Timmy!

Here are some shots of the finished exhausts. They are built from vacuum formed halves with brass and aluminum tubing. There are brass flow dividers inside. The welds were simulated with paint heavily thickened with talc. They were painted with Floquil black for the insides and a mix of Testors exhaust color metalizer mixed with SNJ Spray Metal bronze. A base coat of this mix was applied then burnt umber oil paint was applied (with out thinning) in random streaks and allowed to build up around the welds. This gave a very dark streaked appearance. Then SNJ bronze metallic powder was lightly buffed over the entire surface. The effect looks even better in person. But these photos will have to do.

Timmy!

exhaust5ap7.jpg

exhaust7to8.jpg

exhaust6fv1.jpg

exhaust1il6.jpg

exhaust2oz8.jpg

timmy, i don't dare to show my model. your is much better; i have to confess, i am using your pictures for improving muy own model.

as you could guess, it is one of the DOS flying in columbia.....

bruno