1/24th OV-10D+ Bronco

This is simply stunning Timmy! :banana:

I can only imagine how much thought went into the break down of the gear into managable pieces and the skill in manufacturing said parts.

With a lick of paint and some plumbing, these will be mind-blowing.

What a treat it is to watch your progress on this build.

:cheers:

:D

Getting great so far!!!

I'm still sketching my parts for the 1/72 kit (too much college work, so little time), but this will ba another good reference for the landing gears that I'll replace in the kit...

Timmy all I can say is wow. This isn't a model, it's a work of art and I tip my hat to you. I felt pretty good about getting my top wing center section skinned last night, and then I see this this morning...lol.

:D Oyvay... I am humbled.

I think I am going to have to go up in scale from my beloved 1/48th to perhaps 32nd. I just can't pack in the detail in the smaller scale as much as I'd like. Seeing the magic you are performing here is really an inspiration. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for the kind words! From all of you!

Do you have a metal lathe or some kind of machinery to turn these parts? They look very precise and carefully made. Superb stuff....

Yes I do have a lathe, but the only parts that are turned are the lower part of the Shock Strut and the pins that hold shock strut and oleo brace link. Everything else is brass tube and sheet soldered together. Again like with the nose gear, I made a skeleton from the brass parts and then used plastic and filler to get the shapes just right. My goal in the future is to get my machining skils up to where I can make the parts like this with just metal. Something to work for right?

As for accuracy, I drew all of the parts first then built them.

ov10dextviewsnh4.jpg

Timmy!

You know what I like most about this Timmy? It's a mind bending build for sure, but the fact you did such an esoteric subject. It's not often you see one of these in any scale, let alone a scratchbuilt work of art in 24th scale.

Did you use a Drawing program for your artwork? Or is that the old fasioned ink on vellum? It looks very clean and sanitary. I've done similar artwork on some projects in the past, but never this detailed or scope.

Wonderful stuff.

Cheers

Mike

You know what I like most about this Timmy? It's a mind bending build for sure, but the fact you did such an esoteric subject. It's not often you see one of these in any scale, let alone a scratchbuilt work of art in 24th scale.

Did you use a Drawing program for your artwork? Or is that the old fasioned ink on vellum? It looks very clean and sanitary. I've done similar artwork on some projects in the past, but never this detailed or scope.

Wonderful stuff.

Cheers

Mike

I used a computer. I am using Canvas 8.0 - it is a vector based brawing program similar to Corel, Adobe etc. I have just upgraded to Vector Works Designer and will be drawing future projects in 3d. I must admit with all the detail I have added to the OV-10 drawing it is becoming huge!

Timmy!

• 4 weeks later...

Since my last update I have completed the other main landing gear leg and detailed the pair. I'll be in the paint booth tonight! Here are some not great shots of some of the finished pieces. The brake assemble has a "raised" decal on it to represent the casting marks. I used the raised decals on the main tires as well. They did work, but it doesn't show in these shots, I due to the translucent nature of the resin. But I see tonight once the paint is on. Updates soon!

mgprepaint1ck5.jpg

mgprepaint4nz2.jpg

mgprepaint5vt4.jpg

mgprepaint3rm7.jpg

Brake assembly and brake disk

mgprepaint2pk1.jpg

Nose gear doors

mgprepaint6sq9.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well a month + has gone by, but I did get some work done!

SHE NOW SITS ON HER OWN THREE FEET!

Here are the photos to prove it. I did have on complete gear collapse on me and despite my calculations she was a tail sitter. I had to drill a big hole in the nose and add a big lead weight - fortunately that went well and the hole will be covered by the FLIR turret.

You'll see I got a lot detail painting done. I painted the majority of it feeling that I would break off the gear or they would get in my way. But there is lots more detail painting to go.

On to the pics.

lgpaint1ds0.jpg

lgpaint5rm9.jpg

lgpaint7ij7.jpg

lgpaint10es6.jpg

lgpaint8de7.jpg

lgpaint9gz0.jpg

lgpaint3my2.jpg

lgpaint4os3.jpg

lgpaint2nx3.jpg

lgpaint6va9.jpg

That's it for now. More soon!

Timmy!

Astonishing, jaw-dropping, staggering....... :D I could go on and on!

All of those many hours of toil are really beginning to pay dividends Timmy. This looks marvellous.

Now that the distraction of the various build materials is covered in paint the real beauty of this model is easy to see. I don't think I can recall seeing a more realistic model.

The panel detail and gear legs are quite magnificent. If you ever get the chance to take pics outside with a suitable backdrop I would defy anyone to tell this from the real aircraft.

You are raising the bar higher with every update. (It's probably got snow on it now!)

Post more a.s.a.p please. This is inspirational :P

:o

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on this one! More updates soon - I'm trying to post regularly but this thing called life keeps getting in the way!

Hans,

Engine coming soon - I have some drawings to work on then I'll start building it.

Timmy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...