F-105D Thud 1/48

Monogram F-105. I've been working on it for 6 months or so. Recently put the final touches on it. I weathered the hell out of it with enamel washed and pastels. Maybe I went to far, but oh well. Those planes got pretty dirty pretty fast. Decals are a little risque. It's "Cherry Girl" from Cutting Edge, given to me by a friend.

Enjoy!

Charles

Thanks guys,

No re-scribing, I just wanted to make this a quick build. I guess "quick" to me means half a year... heh. Weathering the panel lines with a heavy wash and pastels seems to bring out the panel lines rather well in the pictures. Of course, the raised panel lines don't look as good in person.

The stand is easy, just a pre-routed wooden plaque stained and clear coated, with acrylic rod for the arm.

The rest of the model is OOB except for the decals.

Thanks for the compliments!

Charles

Your model looks great and the stand is very nice also.

Any chance you would consider building a stand for me? Actually I could use one or two, particularly if you could make one a double acrylic rod version for an 1/48th Phantom. You can email me or just let me know here.

Again, great job.

Any chance you would consider building a stand for me? Actually I could use one or two, particularly if you could make one a double acrylic rod version for an 1/48th Phantom. You can email me or just let me know here.

The stand is way easier to build than the model...

And the trouble with me building you a stand is that the stand needs to be matched to the model. I'd have to have your airplane "in hand" to be able to build the stand and get it straight.

I'll give you a quick how-to.

The base of the stand is a pre-routed basswood plaque you can find at craft stores like Michaels for about 99 cents. They are usually a little rough, so I give them a decent hand-sanding to clean up the edges.

I stain the plaque with whatever color stain I think would look nice with the airplane. Then I clear coat it with either satin or gloss. These days I'm favoring gloss coats.

Next is the tough part... finding a place that sells acrylic rod. I have a local plastics shop called lustercraft that has all plastic known to man. I found them in the yellow pages. If you can’t find a place in your town that has it, I’m sure there are places online that can ship it to you. I have 3/8†rod for larger models and 5/16†for smaller ones.

When you build your model, you have to put something inside the fuse for the rod to either be inserted into (like a piece of metal pipe) or some structure that will hold the model reasonably level when you stick a rod into the tailpipe. It does not need to be exact because you can tweak your rod later.

If you’re doing a 2-rod stand, I suggest making a “former†out of a block of wood in the desired shape of the arm of the stand… this is so you can have arms that are shaped the same.

Use an oven set at about 250 degrees to heat up your rod. Put it on a cookie sheet and cook it for about 1-2 minutes. Put your former on a flat surface that can withstand at least 250 degrees. Once soft, pull out the rod and place it on the flat surface and bend around the former. If the shape doesn’t work, you can try it a couple more times… but not too much, me thinks. You can tweak your shape with a candle if you only need to heat up a small section to make a bend in the rod. Warning: using the candle may produce too much heat and put bubbles or blacken the plastic slightly, so only use that method on a part of the rod that will not be visible ie., the ends of the rods that will be inside the model or inside the base.

Drill a hole in your plaque, trim your rod, rough up the end with sandpaper (for grip), superglue it in (straight), and mount your airplane. Again, you can tweak the rod by heating it up with the flame from a candle in a small area and bending it by hand.

That’s the bulk of it. Except for the drilling part and making your former, the whole process is done by hand and using your Mk. 1 Eyeball.

Hope that helps. Good luck,

Charles

Jaw-Dropping Display! And timely for me- I am planning on doing the exact same thing!

I'm just getting ready to paint my Monogram Thud and than I'll be doing the stand thing. Thanks for the instructions on building your stand.