1/48 Revell/Monogram F-14B/ VF-103 Jolly Rogers

...but this won't be done until long after it starts :thumbsup:

This kit is a modified F-14D kit from Revell/Monogram. I've used Steel Beach's excellent retcon parts to change it to a F-14B. The kit is being built in the 2003 standard line bird/low vis paint scheme. Still plenty to be done with it (I haven't even really begin to put together the mainmounts, or mess with the wheel wells at all, to say nothing of the pylons or ordinance). And before anyone mentions, I know the nose is a completely wrong shade of grey... I sprayed the wrong color and I'll have to wait to fix it (I'm out of medium blue-grey).

It's coming together pretty well beyond the normal Revellogram problems... I'm really enjoying the kit!

You can see in this picture my burner cans are nearly done... they're not glued in yet, just sitting there for the picture (same with the tailfins). I somehow managed to get some overspray on the engine fairings and tailfin roots, gonna have to go back and correct that.

Can't see into the cockpit yet... I won't unmask it until I'm ready to install the canopy. The GRU-7 ejection seats were pulled from an old Revell/Monogram F-14A kit I thrashed as a child (more on that later). The seats were salvagable and I've always thought Revell/Monogram had really nice OOB seats (at least, for those of us who build "canopy-closed" models... no need for all of that aftermarket detail if you won't be able to see it, right?)

For display variety, I opted to retain the swing-wing ability of the kit (I know several modify the wings so they can be installed later, more easy although you lose the swing wing capability). Through careful masking, this was made easy. Another note about the cockpit: Since R/M pilots SUCK (and they only give you one...) ARC member "Sabre" was kind enough to donate a pair of Hasegawa pilots to my cause (thanks again, Sabre!). The pilots had to be brutalized in order to fit (the RIO had both legs below the knee amputated... the pilot just lost the soles of his boots), but I knew that if I wanted pilots in the plane, they needed to look nice (and they do).

LOL, thanks guys.... the burner cans are stock (and went together easier than Hasegawa GE burner cans, although they're almost identical.... go figure..).

As for sneaking in under the radar... well, I dunno about that :wave: However, I've got a ton of entries in mind, so I've gotta clear some workspace on my bench somehow, right? lol

I like it! Inspires me to do a kitbash with my Academy F-14A and all the other leftover parts I have from my Hasegawa's and Monograms. I also have the Steel Beach Stuff and have the 2Bobs decals.

I might just do the same with an in-flight display of it.

Question: What color black did you use for the twin tails? Something right out of the bottle or did you mix it?

I like it! Inspires me to do a kitbash with my Academy F-14A and all the other leftover parts I have from my Hasegawa's and Monograms. I also have the Steel Beach Stuff and have the 2Bobs decals.

I might just do the same with an in-flight display of it.

Question: What color black did you use for the twin tails? Something right out of the bottle or did you mix it?