Can't wait for the Academy or Tamiya kit. I bought this kit about 4 years ago and the best way to make room in the stash is to build it. I actually started on this kit years before I knew about any Academy or Tamiya kit in 1/32.

David

Good work so far! Did you light the cockpit? Are you planning to do the Formation/Id lights (2 for the tail flash and the 1 under the intake, just aft of the NLG wheel well), aft tail dorsal, Wingtip, Anti-Collision, and LANDING/TAXI lights?

Mike V

Just the Nav lights, It was tough enough getting the 1/32 scale switch for the cockpit........

I had the kit so I needed to build it. Maybe another F-16 some day. Maybe Hobby Lobby will carry the Tamiya F-16 during the 50% off sale. I will be watching.

David

Oh Man this is really cool! I love it! Outstanding work! :thumbsup:

While we are on the subject of position lights, Here is some Viper trivia:

The mighty Viper has switches to control the position lights labled dim/steady or bright/flash. For day ops (and peacetime training nights), we would run the switch in bright flash..that is why the Vipers' position lights seem to "pulse".

At night, when ever the jet was stopped on the ground, we would select dim/steady and anti collision OFF. The Viper has no red beacon.

With the NVIS mod, a "covert" position was added to the Master lighting switch. With this enabled, all exterior lights except landing/taxi and anti collision operate in the IR emitter mode. In "Norm", all lights except landing/taxi were enabled in the NVIS Friendly mode...

Not really important...just reminiscing...

Anyhoo, Love this work..Would love to see more pictures!

Regards,

Pig

interesting trivia on the lights.

One thing I did not mention on this kit is my attempt to correct the BB HUD to match the "WAR" hud. The resin kit places the HUD control too far fwd under the glareshield so I cut it from the MIP and moved it aft. I had to make new side glare guards around the center panel with the standbys. I will have to send a good side shot later.

Thanks for the good comments.

David

drhornii, how did you manage to lay the wires?! ;) :lol:

To bad, as Tamiya would of saved you allot of time. It is pre-molded to accept wiring. There will be a fully lighted Tamiya F-16 in the future as well. I hope it don't jack the price to much

Good work so far! Did you light the cockpit? Are you planning to do the Formation/Id lights (2 for the tail flash and the 1 under the intake, just aft of the NLG wheel well),  aft tail dorsal, Wingtip, Anti-Collision, and LANDING/TAXI lights?

Viper Enforcer, I am re-visting your reply against the IPMS's photo. Do you mean these holes at the wing tip in this photo, (and this ?) :o wow, there is really nice.

Tamiya has provision for all the Vipers lighting as per your mentioned? :D

And care to elaborate when you mentioned "in future"? As in Tamiya will have a Viper Lighting Kit? :huh:

Thanks for the insight Mike,

should there be any, I guess it will be the Optic Fibre Lighting? and...I can't help but thinking... with the Tamiya internal housing pretty much occuiped by the engine bay & intake trunking, the lighting kit has got to be outside? And the most realistic way to model will the wiring be via the aircraft 'grounding cable'? :thumbsup: This is getting interesting. :thumbsup:

cheers,

drhornii, how did you manage to lay the wires?

I plan on running the wires down the MLG as brake lines and through a Doirama base. Or that is the plan. Right now, I have a switch and barrety that will fit in the fuselage.

David

Hey Viper Enforcer,

The NVIS lighting could be replicated with IR LED's (widely available, they are on my IR TAG Marker) - of course, they could only be seen with NVG or an IR video camera!

cheers

drhornii, how did you manage to lay the wires?

I plan on running the wires down the MLG as brake lines and through a Doirama base. Or that is the plan. Right now, I have a switch and barrety that will fit in the fuselage.

David

drhornii, actually, I meant to ask, how did you manage to lay the wiring for the Nav light on the intake. Some amazing work back there.

In any case, I intended to extend my question on how do you plan to lay the wiring out of the Viper which you and Viper Enforcer have already share with us. I will study the possibilities.

Thanks again guys. :thumbsup:

It was tight between the intake trunk and outer intake section but the wires run in there nicely. Still wish I had the room to make the ground power connection a true connection point and hide a switch and power in the cart. Not quite enough room there. Here is a pic, the focus is not the best with the camera I am using.

David

What I will say about the lighting issue is this. You see the holes and tracks already laid out for wiring. I have no real insight on a release time frame for this particular kit, but it would be a first of its kind and the lighting circuitry will as on the real thing.

Many years ago Revell released their 1:32 F-16 kit with "lights and sound". I have not personally seen one (except on eBay) but I imagine it was more towards the "toy" end of the scale compared to what Tamiya will offer. Nevertheless, I think Revell was "first" with this on the 1:32 F-16s :thumbsup: