Since joining ARC over a year ago, (before ARC Mk. 2), I've been surprised at how many, like myself, are tackling the 1/48 BONE. Recently, I've noticed a few other fellow BONE Builders: CBenna, Dom, Big Josh Henderson, Fulcrum (to name just a few), in addition to the members I've know about for a while.

I thought if we B-1 Builders identify ourselves to each other under one topic, it will be easier to exchange ideas, tips and help, and of course encouragement. ;)

So, with that in mind, can I see a show of hands from all the BONE builders out there, past and present?

Briefly describe; how long you've been working on your kit, your progress to date, After Market stuff you're putting into it, changes your making to the kit (ie. dropping the flaps, etc), paint scheme, your plans for display, and anything else you care to add. Bring up any points or problems you have, if you need help with reference material, recommendations, or anything else you can think of. :(

Photos are welcome!

If this topic grows, and there's enough interest, perhaps we can start our own "BONE Progress" topic under the In Progress Pics Forum?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you all! I'll post my input later today (gotta run)!

Cheers!

Mark,

You can count me in. Been building one on and off for about the past 14 months. She's pretty much in one piece except for the nose cone, horizontal stabs, and engines. Planning to do her in the SAC stategic scheme, using Fox One decals. Also used some bits from the eduard set, some true details seats in the main cockpit, and I have the cutting edge nozzles.

I've been taking pics while building, and will try and post some. The biggest problems for me have been the mating of the tail and nose assemblies to the fusealge. I've been left with some pretty huge steps and gaps...mucho bondo work. That's what's taking me so long to finish her.

Best regards,

Mark

put me in to

ive been working on mine for about 3 days

just opened all the ejetion hatches so far

im using eduard PE and cutting edge featherless exhaust,

and of course, 2bobs "seek and destroy, im hoping to have

the b-1b diorama done by christmas, but since school started back, i

doubt it, but anyways, this is a big scratchbuilding project for me

i plan to scratch all 3 bomb bays to accomany 24 jdams, when its finished

only 2 bays will be full, one empty, as a bomb loader will be loading it up,

and variouse crew members standing around, i bought 3 lbs of sheet styrene to help me get started, also will be scratching some of the cockpit,

ill try to borrow my uncles camera in the next few days and send in some shots of the open ejection hatches

i agree, lets have our on "Bone" section in the in progress forum, please steve please??? ;)

josh

Hi guys, welcome aboard!

OK, a bit about my build.

I bought my kit last Christmas (2002), and started on it during the first week of Jan 03. As extras, I originally purchased the resin burner cans from Masterpiece Models. However, after a lot of contemplation, I decided they weren't right for the kit. A bit too long, and the pour on these cans wasn't very good. The end product was pitted and chipped. I thought I could clean them up, but decided not to waste my time. A bit later I bought the cans from Cutting Edge. The detail is much better, and I like the addition of the control rods, but I have a concern. After careful examination and comparison between the real thing and the CE cans, I feel the cans are a bit small in diameter. When placed against the trailing end of the engine assembly / "cowlings" (for lack of a better word), they appear small. Your thoughts? The diameter of the Masterpiece ones was a better match. I too, purchased the Eduard PE set, the decals from Leading Edge, and the covenanted set by Fox One. I also have some decals that were custom made for me so I can build a particular B-1.

I’m building No.86-114 “Live Free or Dieâ€, of the 37th Bomb Squadron “Tigersâ€, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, SD. 114 was lost in the Indian Ocean on 12 Dec 01 due to technical problems. The reason I’m building 114 is because my wife was the last Life Support Tech to check and certify 114s aircrew safety and emergency equipment and life support gear, all of which were used and saved the lives of the crew when they had to bail.

The bomb load will be 24 x 2000 lb, GBU-31 JDAM, which I accumulated by trading with other ARC’ers for the remainder of my HAS Weapons Set D (which comes with two GBU-31). The GBU-31s are loaded onto the MPRL, but the two that come with the kit are very sparse, so I am at the stage where I’m scratch-building the bomb racks, electrical control boxes and wiring on the MPRL. I also paid for a few extra parts from Revell Germany and order a third MPRL, and an extra set of wings, just in case my attempt at dropping the slats and flaps doesn’t turn out so well. If it does, then I’ll have to ways to display the BONE, flaps up and flaps down.

For my progress, have a look at my postings a couple of months ago, under the “In Progress Pics†Forum. Basically, I’ve completed the cockpit and rear flight deck. I thought about getting some resin seats, but figured that level of detail would be lost if I (or anybody else) couldn’t see them once the front end is assembled. I’ve completed the gear and nose gear well. I’m just about ready to assemble the forward fuselage.

Question: What is everyone using for counter weight in the forward fuselage, and how much are you using? The instructions recommend 70 grams. Is this enough, or too much? Considering the reported weight of the BONE when it’s together, I don’t want to stress the gear any more than is absolutely necessary.

I’m almost finished detailing the main gear well and bomb bays. The interior detail is taking me a lot longer to do that I thought, but then again, I’ve had many interruptions along the way, so my building hasn’t been as regular as I would have liked. I’m in no rush though. Once the interior detailing is done, and the ordnance done, the rest of the airframe and exterior surfaces should go much quicker.

Question: I’m trying to determine how I’m going to accurately make the Towed Decoy fairings, fitted under the Stabilators. Has anyone else done this yet? Any ideas? No After Market resin company has thought of making them yet.

When 114 is done, it will be in overall grey FS36118, displayed on the ramp, loaded, bays open, wings forward, flaps and slats down, in Ready Alert state.

However, my progress will have to wait for another month or two, because we’re getting ready to move across town by the end of Sept. Our new place will be a better set up for me, since I’ll be able to have my computer and my BONE work station in the same room. Most, if not all, of my references are on my computer. An excellent reference I’ve been using is the web site of the B-1 Systems Program Office at: http://www.b1b.wpafb.af.mil/

The web master there Dennis Penka, has been very helpful in answering my questions, and even gone so far as to take an extensive and outstanding set of photos of the main gear for me.

I think that if we pool all our resources, reference material, and experience together, their shouldn’t be a question that can’t be answered.

Cheers!

what color are the wires in the bomb bays?

the book says gunmetal, but all i pics ive seen

look like a yellow color

josh

Josh

The yellow on the wire/cables in the bomb bays you’re talking about, is Kevlar. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any paint manufacturer making Kevlar Yellow at the moment. Model Master's Cadium Yellow is close, but it’s still too yellow. Try adding a touch of Gold. 1 part Gold to 9 parts Cadium Yellow. Depending on the lighting conditions, I've noticed that the Kevlar yellow in the bays can look anywhere from Yellowy-Gold to an almost light yellowy- beige.

HTH

hey mark

do you know where i can find some good

pics of the GBU-31 jdam roatary launcher

and some pics of either the cockpit cieling, or the

ejection hatches open, thanx

also can you send some pix of your

jdam launcher, just starting to scratch mine

josh

Hi Josh,

Send me your email address and I'll send you the pics I have of the over-heads and the MPRL (Multi-Purpose Rotary Launcher), which is used with other ordnance, not just the GBU-31.

About the Ejection Seat hatches, I don't have any pics of them open, but I can probably get some. The reason there are not many pic of them open is, the hatches are rarely opened unless being serviced. Because they are part of the "Firing Train" of the Ejection process, they are rarely opened / tampered with. They are usually only opened in a controlled environment (like inside a hangar during a servicing), so rain and weather do not get into the emergency systems. According to my wife, the ejection seat hatches were never opened on the ramp or flight line, not even during the summertime when it was hot. She, and the rest of the techs, routinely serviced the aircraft when temperatures inside could reach over a 100 deg F.

At the moment, my BONE is packed away. However, once it's out again in the new place, I'll send you a few pics. All I've done to the MPRL is assemble them as per the instructions, cut the SRAM mounting pins off of the rings, filed and shaped, and painted them white. The overall shape will have to be modified though. The ones in the kit are tapered at both ends, where as the real thing is only tapered on the after end. I've also started to cut and build the racks and electrical boxes from styrene. Wiring will follow.

Cheers!

Hy Mark and the Bone builders,

I just post some pictures of the wing and flaps of my Bone just before assembling the under/upper wing together.

As today, I have built the front fuselage and the rear fuselage first. Then I began the detailing of the wings with the idea of making my Bone with flaps and slats down.

For the cockpit, when closed in the 2 half front fuselages, you don't see many things so I have not hyper detail the cockpit. Just paint it and glue it.

I put some metal parts in the rear of the front fuselage in order to cram it.

I used quite a lot of mastic to fill the gap between the nose cone and the fuselage.

For the rear fuselage, it is the thing : you have to use mastic to have a good shape between the rear cone and the fuselage.

Now, I work on the wings.

In addition to this, I will also make the "elevation" of the housing where the wings folds. This is very frequent when the Bone is on the ground (I put a picture of what I talk about !).

Well, if anybody have any sugestions, do not hesitate :)

Another point : I'm french so if my english has some difficulties to be understood, just tell me :wacko:

Cheers

Dom

user posted image

user posted image

Guest Geoff Ebeling

I just got started on mine when the 2Bobs decided to do some B-1 decals. I only have a few of the cockpit assemblies done. I plan to use the eduard photo etch and the cutting edge burners. I have not decided which decals to use now that Fox One is releasing some OEF and OIF BONE decals. Might have to build two of the monsters if I can't decide (Scary thought isn't it!).

hi fellow bone builders, well i have 2 bones to build the first one is painted and complete just putting the decals on now , it took me about 30 hours to build the main problems were as i think everyone knows is the the nose section to center fuselage and tail section to center. the tail section was not to bad on mine it went together well the nose gave me a lot of problems. i'm gooing to use two bobs decals. i;ll ppost some pictures when i get them thats all for now cliff

Guest horgasm

I'm currently building one with the whole cockpit closed up, Cutting Edge Exhausts, and scratchbuilt weapon bays. TO save some effort, I just covered the kit bays with .010 sheet styrene. I ground down some of the heavy detail in the bays, glued them together with some external bracing (just so they'd hold thier shape) and laminated in a sheet of white styrene. Voila.. now I don't have to try anything kinky. The most tedious part is definitely getting the u-braces for all the wiring in the bays. They're a foot apart in 1/1, which makes them 1/4" apart in 1/48. and the bay is over 7inches long. If anyone could give some help on scratchbuilding the Rotary launchers for JDAMs, i'd appreciate it. BTW, has anyone seen the Masterpiece models exhausts? I'm still convincd that they're molded backwards, with the afterburner flame holder on what-should-be the outside edge of the burner can. *shudder*

Okay, I'll play too. Started my second Bone six weeks ago (the first met an untimely death during last year's move). I sold my second kit during the summer, but realized that it was a mistake and bought another and that's where I am.

Aftermarket stuff includes True Details ACES seats (front cockpit only) and Cutting Edge exhaust nozzles. Will also scarf up a set of Fox One decals as I want the aircraft stencilling along with new new nose art.

Current status; removed all of the molded-on hydraulic lines from the landing gear struts and replaced with various gauges of wire. Cockpit completed (not building up the rear office as it can't be seen anyways). Tail section is assembled and vortex generators added. That's it for now. I've decided to put everything away while I build Trumpeter's 1/350 U.S.S. Yorktown. I've been dreaming about an Essex class carrier in this scale for two decades.

Regards,

Randy

Hi Mark:

This is my first almost finished Bone. It´s a 1/72 Monogram kit with all proper modifications plus Cutting Edge exhausts and decals. I am planning to build other 5 kits, so I suppose I am a big Bone fan.

Regards from Mexico

Efrain.

Guest horgasm

I'm wondering, for all our sakes, does anyone have a really good way to replicate the rubberized fabric on the wing-fold area on the Bone? Look just behind the wings in Dom's pics. I'm building mine wiht the wing roots open likethat, and i'd like for the skirts to be really nice. TIA

BTW, has anyone seen the Masterpiece models exhausts? I'm still convincd that they're molded backwards, with the afterburner flame holder on what-should-be the outside edge of the burner can.

Horgasm, that was the first set of burner cans I bought. Not liking the way they turned out from the mold, I decided against them and bought the CE ones. Not that I'm going to use the Masterpiece ones, but I'm not sure I understand your comment about them. :) What part are you referring to?

Now that I have the CE burner cans, I think they are a touch too small in diameter. :wacko:

Efrainh, nice looking B-1! 1/72 you say? ...wouldn't think it judging by it's size. :)

I'm wondering, for all our sakes, does anyone have a really good way to replicate the rubberized fabric on the wing-fold area on the Bone? Look just behind the wings in Dom's pics. I'm building mine wiht the wing roots open likethat, and i'd like for the skirts to be really nice. TIA

I haven't decided what to use yet but, I have a couple of ideas. Either: a large (thick) elastic band, cut and trimed to shape, and glued into place and painted or; Tinfoil, folded to thickness, embossed with the verticle line pattern found on the real thing, primed and painted.

Any other ideas?

Recommendations and ideas from earlier BONE Builders, are welcome.

well, i plan to glue my wings shut on my 1/48 bone

but i do plan on representing this on a future

1/72 bone

this may be all wrong, but looks good on paper anyway

take a balloon, blow it up big then pop it, so its good and

stretched out

then take some sheet styrene, and mold it to the correct shape

then take some cloth, or cotton balls might work, and place them

inside of behind one of these ballon pieces

like i said, may be totally wrong, but when i drew it on paper

it looked good

your thoughts?

josh

just started on mine as well. I just have the cockpits done. I taped together the fuselage and put it next to a 1/48 F-16 just to see how big it's going to be. I'm adding the nesscary stuff to make a modern day B-1B, TwoBobs decals, CE cans, but the wings will stay as a whole as I need swingable wings for sake of storage space in my room, yeah, it's that big

dsc01172.jpg

dsc01180.jpg

My 1/48 and 1/144 Bones are in the pile waiting to be worked on. Nice work, Efrain, Mark, Matt, and Josh.....I'm getting the Twobobs decals, I don't know when I'll actually start work on my big Bone but I'll be watching this thread. I'd like to do the Saddam buster Bone in 1/48 but I understand I'll need lots of aftermarket stuff.

If there's enough demand maybe someone'll do a current standard bomb bay complete with JDAM's. Cutting edge, you listening? Or Black Box?

Justin

Guest horgasm

Yeah.... cutting edge and black box are listening...listening for me to finally say "i'm done! I only wish I could afford to build another one of these!" and BAM! they come out wiht a cockpit, wheel wells, bomb bays and all the bombs, as well as the huge chaff dispensers for the tail...

By the way, about the MM burner cans, take a look at these 2 pics.

sheb0101.jpg

as compared to the MM cans

B-1_cans_02.jpg

now... see where that big metal band around the can is? the shorter part of the petals of the exhaust should be pointing to the outside of the afterburner. on the MM cans, it's pointing to the inside, back into the engine nacelle. They're molded backwards.