Here's my cockpit. I swiped the seats from the R/M F-15E, and cut the armrests from the kit's seats. In case you're wondering why the cockpit area is all gouged up, I'm replacing the whole front windscreen and front cockpit windows with a stretch-formed piece. (I got the idea from an old FSM article on "Seam-free canopies")

Nice work, Red Head Kev. If you ever decide to build another one of these kits, I would definately suggest that you use the Eduard PE set . It comes with some of the stuff you scratchbuilt. I've got a scan of it somewhere in my stack of 3.5's, so I'll have to look for it when I get home.

I do have a few pics of the work I've done using the Eduard PE set on my web site. Its www.ch47guy.50megs.com. Just go to the photo page.

Chris Ishmael

In case anybody was wondering what the Eduard PE set looks like, here it is :

PE_Fret.jpg

I’ll give you a brief run down : upper left corner are 4 rudder pedals, next two are panels for the bomb bays, next 4 V shaped items are braces for the bomb bays (center I think), panel for the Nose gear, & then all the bases for the vortex generators on the tail.

Next row down is part of the boarding ladder assy, then the two parts with the hole in them go in the nose gear bay, I forgot what the two parts are next to that, then the vortex generators themselves.

Next row down is the part of the boarding ladder, the dogbane shaped items go on the MLG, & next to them are the pitot tubes.

Underneath those parts are some panels that I forget where they go, & the three identical perforated parts are the bomb bay spoilers.

The next fret has the 4 burner rings, then underneath that are the WSO tables, some cockpit stuff, more panels for the MLG bay, & other fiddly stuff.

Last row has some antennas, & 6 more panels for the MLG bay. Off to the side are more dog bones for the MLG.

At this point, I had already used the PE inst. Panels, so that area in another pic. Most of the cockpit stuff, & there is a lot, I did not use because it would not be seen when the models was finished. I mainly used the big visible pieces. Some of the parts may look strange, so keep in mind that a lot of the parts will have to be folded to get the proper appearance.

Chris Ish

Edited by Ishthe47guy

IS there any way you could get a nice close-up of the eduard bomb bay spoilers? They're really the biggest hurdle in making these parts, and I don't want to spring 20 bucks for a lot of stuff i won't need, now. Ideally I'd like something i could glue to some sheet brass or styrene, and cut out. Thanks.

HEY!!!!!!!!

A big shout-out to you Bone fans! I am a major fan too, but I build in 1/72. I have a big ask. Does ANYONE have pics of the interior right at the crew entry hatch/entrance, and pics of the bulkhead behind the pilots' seats....I've got just about every book ever published on the B-1 and NONE of them show these areas..... :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

quick bone question guys:

I just got more motovation to start on my Revell 1/48 Bone model, but I was wondering if there is a conversion kit to update it to OEF/OIF standards. I'm during Swift Justice off TwoBob's sheet. Thanks!

Sadly, no. The Eduard set is a start, but you'll still have to do a bunch of work to the bomb bays, and you'll definitely need new engines. I'd recommend the Cutting Edge afterburners. I don't know about that particular plane, but I'd bet it has the Towed Decoy system on the tail, which are tough to make. My recommendation would be to hang on to the kit. Rumor has it, someone's making an update set for it.

GREAT work, Voodoo Man! :thumbsup: Post a few and lets see you masterpiece!

:stupid:

Mark Lynam

I would if i could, do not know how. plus my digital camera is not working properly. My computer for some reeason is not accepting/ registering the camera. I tried to reboot the program and no luck. Trying to convince wife for a new one.(no luck their either :o ) I have some photo's in the final stages. I'll try to post them on a free moment, and once I know how to.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Here's my cockpit.  I swiped the seats from the R/M F-15E,  and cut the armrests from the kit's seats.  In case you're wondering why the cockpit area is all gouged up, I'm replacing the whole front windscreen and front cockpit windows with a stretch-formed piece.  (I got the idea from an old FSM article on "Seam-free canopies")

I have a bone to pick with you....nice bone...I would love to see the finished results, and what FSM issue was that in?

I've almost got mine done. It's taken close to six months. I built B-1B 84-0051 aka "Boss Hawg" the B-1 that's at the USAF museum now. The only thing I don't have are windows. Revell has none. Is anyone forming their own instead of the tinted ones?

Brian

I've almost got mine done. It's taken close to six months. I built B-1B 84-0051 aka "Boss Hawg" the B-1 that's at the USAF museum now. The only thing I don't have are windows. Revell has none. Is anyone forming their own instead of the tinted ones?

Brian

Brain, Did you try Revell Gremany. All b-1s i have seen have tinted canopys. Try opening the escape hatch over the pilot or co-pilot. that is what i did so I can show off the interior.

Try to get in touch with redheadkevin, this is what he wrote:

"Here's my cockpit. I swiped the seats from the R/M F-15E, and cut the armrests from the kit's seats. In case you're wondering why the cockpit area is all gouged up, I'm replacing the whole front windscreen and front cockpit windows with a stretch-formed piece. (I got the idea from an old FSM article on "Seam-free canopies") "

Well, only 1 pic really showed what I think you needed. The other pic was of clear plastic, and well, it didn't come out well.

bonepit.jpg

I'll explain how i did it first. I scotch-taped the forward fuselage together before i started the rest of the plane. I knew I'd have a nice cockpit, so I was willing to take the trade-off in accuracy of clear windows. I placed the windscreen and rear-windows into their respective holes, then stretch-formed a new windscreen. I made it big enough to cover the whole of the front office.

Then, I disassembled the forward fuselage parts, and started Dremeling. I cut out the panels over the pilot/copilot seats, and the associated framing. Then (and here comes the tricky part) I cut a trough aroud the entire hole. It works out to be about 1/8 inch wide, and not all the way through the plastic. When I cut out the finished stretch-formed windows, this will get the joint away from the windows themselves.

Once I get to the point where I can attatch the glass, I'll just glue it into the trough, (you might need to shim it a little: dry-fit, dry-fit, dry-fit.) and fill around the edge. Then I'll have to scribe in the panels over the seats. Then I just mask where the windows go, paint, and voila, no seams around the windows, and they'll be nice and clear, not the REAL dark ones of the kit.

Now I just have to quit getting sidetracked by new kits and get this one done.

• 3 weeks later...

This is as far as I've gotten before I stopped again because of real life problems & situations taking away my modeling time.

B1_MOD_ns.jpg

head_on.jpg

All 4 crew dogs are actually a Navy exchange crew (all 4 came from my many, many left over Monogram F-14 figures). I tried putting some Hasegawa pilot figures up front, but either the Hase figures are too big or the B-1 seats way too small. As it is, you can see I had to perform a double amputation on the legs of both figures in the front seats to make them fit. The only reason I put figures in the aft cockpit is that this particular model will have the boarding ladder down, & if you look up through the ladder well, you can see them. There was enough room for them to keep their legs.

That's the Terry Dean Castings B-1 nose weight if you were wondering.

Chris Ish

Edited by Ishthe47guy
  • 3 weeks later...