Question for you guys (which might become obvious once I obtain the book) - do the earlier turkey-feathered B-1's have the decoy system? I know that the sniper pod is a late addition, so wouldn't be necessary, but I don't know if I need a second Shull decoy set. Also, are the kit feathered exhausts accurate for the early time frame?

The ALE-50 Towed Decoy system wasn't given to operational B-1's until 1998. I don't now exactly when the turkey feathers on the engines were removed, (before my time) but I do know that they were removed long before the TDS was added.

I remember the discussion about the 1/32 scale nozzles, but I think it was agreed that they would not fit (don't quote me though).

Shaun

The BONE's turkey feathers were removed for ease of maintenance, about 1992-93. This change coincided with the transition from SAC to ACC markings & command structure. Cannot recall seeing SAC jets flying with the feathers removed, nor ACC jets with them mounted.

For those of you who might be interested in getting a hold of a 1/48th Revell B-1B at a reasonable price, I just ordered one from www.scalehobbyist.com for $48.64 US, and paid $9.95 shipping. I ordered it on May 14 and it was delivered today via UPS. The instructions are dated 2009.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody

I have just ordered my B-1B from SB, there is so many pages here, that I do not have a chance at looking at them all now...Are the Cutting Edge nozzles totally gone?

FO

I will try that then!

Will work my way through the pages before I start building, I have ordered the PE and the metal gear, hoping it will be solid! (pun intented)

Might go for the PE burner cans as well...

FO

Nicely timed, hombres: about to crack open my 1/72 Revell jobbie if I can work up the nerve. It is a beast of a thing, even in this scale, and not a good place to start for a Bone B. Still, having sunk roughly 20 x the national average wage on stuff like C/E exhausts, SAC legs and the awesome Goffy Model interior (Jeez, whose idea to put the crapper there...??!)I will have to start re-scribing sometime before I'm too old. Quite fancy one of the Dyess options on the Fox One sheet, probably 'Spectre' or 'Reluctant Dragon'.

Peeters' "Uncovering the..." cannot be recommended highly enough, but there are some indispensable tips included with the Fox One sheet.

This is the largest thing I have ever attempted...in plastic, anyway!

Edited by ChippyWho

I just acquired a 1/72 B-1b and would love to get my hands on the Cutting Edge decals, "Painted Bones Part 1" specifically the decs for "Boss Hawg". Wouldn't mind the exhaust cans too, but I don't have a trust fund to pay for those.

The Eduard 1/48 photo etch cans look pretty nice, but they don't come in 1/72 yet. Looks like a pretty tough PE build though. I may cheat and make some copies of the Revell F-15 cans and then modify them until they look close. Its funny how cheap kits turn into about 20 other small builds.

I may cheat and make some copies of the Revell F-15 cans and then modify them until they look close. Its funny how cheap kits turn into about 20 other small builds.

I can't realy comment for '72 scale. But I belive F-15 exhausts are significantly smaller than the B-1's - hence not everybody is NOT ordering x 2 Aries F-15E sets ?

There is indeed a significant size difference between B-1 and F-15 cans: the C/E B-1 set has around 2 x the diameter of the Aires F-15 items in 1/72. (I would post a photo illustrating this, but cannot work out how to do it here!)

• 1 month later...