• 4 months later...

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a mention of the new resin sets from Barracuda Studios for the 48 scale bone. I have some on the way!

Nozzles, intakes, wheel sets, towed decoys and antennas.

I recently purchased their intakes and external update set (on the way too!), but I already had some Cutting Edge cans. I wonder how the Barracuda and Cutting Edge nozzles compare...

Looking closely the actuators on the Barra set have a bit better set up but it's very close.

They have a better join onto the petals but maybe the CE defines the petals slightly better.

Roy's stuff is normally outstanding!

• 9 months later...

This thread is so awesome! Im really glad i found it. I am currently working on the 1:48 B-1B by revell. I bought all the Aftermarket for it. Also im a Crew Chief on the B-1B at Ellsworth AFB. This page has already helped me with different issues that i didnt know about yet. Will post pictures soon of what ive done.

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and recently completed the 1/72 monogram BONE. I crewed the bone for my entire air force career all the way to retirement in 2013. the builds posted here are outstanding ! I have included a few pics of my completed 1/72 scale BONE. The 1/48 scale is in my stash and will be started soon. A lot of scratch building went into the 1/72 kit to bring it to B model specs. If anyone has any questions about the BONE in general I will be more than happy to answer them. Thanks !

What was your job on the BONE? That's very cool! And...beautiful model!

Edited by pminer
  • 2 years later...
3 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Looks promising. I have one in the back burner. Wires included? 

That's a little problem. I used rubber thread diameter approx. 0.3 and 0,4 mm (from socks), but i cannot find any dealer who would be willing to sell a small amount of naked rubber thread (2tons is too much for us :-) ). So I have only thread braided with 2 layers of nylon - it can be unwound (easy to do), but it would have to do every modeler himself.  

• 2 years later...

Dead thread resurrection warning: can someone point out the differences between the barracuda resin intake set and the metallic details intake set? Which ones to people prefer?

I haven't seen the metallic details set in person, but from the pictures they released, they seem to be proportionally off. They do not seem to taper enough moving backwards, so the whole thing just looks wrong. From my phone, I can't work out how to post pictures but look at this:

Compare the picture of the removed engine (3/4 of the way down this article)

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32213/b-1b-loses-low-level-mission-annual-flight-hours-capped-heres-how-it-got-to-this-point

With this from Met Details

http://metdetails.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/images/8_46.jpg

It's just... off. 

Edited by Specter1075

Im more or less concerned with the differences between the barracuda intakes and metallic details intakes. From what Ive seen, the barracuda exhaust nozzles are smaller than they should be while the metallic details correct that for the most part. Now, Im also seeing a TON of aftermarket stuff for this model too! It wasnt like this 5 years ago, but Im getting a tally on exactly whats out there now...and buying away to build me the ultimate build.

New engine fans: https://www.shapeways.com/product/S3CXWPMAV/b-1b-engines?optionId=72934507&li=more-from-shop

New intake trunks: https://www.shapeways.com/product/EF2GLVNXC/b-1b-engine-intakes?optionId=76612974&li=marketplace

New inlet vanes: https://www.shapeways.com/product/GMTCC5MAR/b-1b-intake-vanes?optionId=76613244&li=marketplace

New FLAPS!! :https://www.aviationmegastore.com/b1b-wing-mechanics-control-surfaces-ac48014-armycast-ac48014-aircraft-scale-modelling-detailsets/product/?action=prodinfo&art=146223

I bought me a set the other day, I hope they are as good as they look, but doesnt look like the front spar is included...which for the price should be..and on further looking, IT DOES!

B-1B conventional 10 stores rack: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/b1b-10-store-conventional-bomb-module-revell-back-in-stock-armycast-ac48023-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=166218

CBU-97s: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/cbu97-6x-eduard-e648275-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=142240

Not to mention the ones I asked about above, but man...theres a lot of upgrades to be had now. Looking like its going to be a $1k kit after alls said and done. Gonna be a beaut!

Edited by utley

Ah sorry, I thought you were talking about the exhaust side.

I know nothing about Met Details intakes because I bought sets from Bone Fragments. Check out their Facebook page and website. The company is owned/run by a B-1b lover and he sells, and is developing, a number of sets for the B-1. He has already released an intake set, antenna set, Sniper pylon, and fuel tank set. He is working on a CRL kit, and updates for the wing glove area. His stuff is top notch and I can't imagine anything beating his designs for accuracy. He is also a point of contact for the Army Cast flap set, and the 10 store rack that you mentioned above.

Oh wow...guess Im good to wait for a little while longer! Once upon a time TwoBobs (or was it TwoMikes) was doing the CRM along with a few other things. Waited for years and years and gave up hope while ago. Finally gonna get it finished I see.

I was in the very same boat. I had my first B-1 in the stash waiting for the TwoMikes stuff. Now it finally seems that a lot of the stuff the older kit lacks is being covered off by new manufacturers. The recent explosion of recent update sets was likely a big reason for Revel releasing the platinum edition of the kit.

If I haven't mentioned it already, and if you have Facebook, check out the B-1 Builder Support Group. You'll get to hear first about new Bone Fragments sets (the admin of the group is the owner of Bone Fragments), and you'll see a lot of inspiring builds by other people. For whatever reason, the majority of the stuff posted there does not find its way to ARC. So I try to sing their praises here any time the B-1 comes up in a thread.

Edited by Specter1075
On 8/28/2021 at 10:22 AM, Specter1075 said:

I was in the very same boat. I had my first B-1 in the stash waiting for the TwoMikes stuff. Now it finally seems that a lot of the stuff the older kit lacks is being covered off by new manufacturers. The recent explosion of recent update sets was likely a big reason for Revel releasing the platinum edition of the kit.

If I haven't mentioned it already, and if you have Facebook, check out the B-1 Builder Support Group. You'll get to hear first about new Bone Fragments sets (the admin of the group is the owner of Bone Fragments), and you'll see a lot of inspiring builds by other people. For whatever reason, the majority of the stuff posted there does not find its way to ARC. So I try to sing their praises here any time the B-1 comes up in a thread.

I see you had a B-1 in the works; did you ever get it finished??

1 hour ago, utley said:

I see you had a B-1 in the works; did you ever get it finished??

No, I didn't want to build until I had more aftermarket stuff for it, and now I find myself waiting for more and more as they get announced. I have a plan for my two B-1s, which is a bit grandiose, but it will require my career to settle down a bit before I forge ahead. Maybe sometime in the next few years...

Well the new rotary launcher apparently is about to go production. I hear the new wing glove sets are going to be not too long afterwards, but after that its going to be like what else can they improve? About the only thing I would like to see after that would be a fix to the crap fit between the cockpit and fuselage and the same with the tail fuselage. So hopefully I got a bone kit coming my way this weekend, the new flap mechanics set is going to be here tomorrow night, and I just ordered me the metallic details new radome and afterburner details plus barracuda resin external upgrades and new intakes. Next week hopefully Ill try my hands on one of them 10 count bomb bay launchers and just work it piecemeal while I reacquire new model tools. Man I cant wait!

And THEN I saw this:

https://naga3030.hatenablog.com/entry/2018/04/30/120945

Yeah Im gonna learn how to do that too.

Edited by utley

Someone on the Facebook group did a build with LEDs, and posted a lot of updates showing how he did it. I wish I could remember who it was...

As for what else could be improved, I would like to see a lights set that gives all the clear parts we can would need. After that, I think some updates to the wheel bays could be nice. The bomb bays are so finely detailed now that I think the wheels should match.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, starting to build the kit back up. Got an older 1/48 B-1B kit (white), Metallic Details exhaust resin set, new nose cone, flap mechanics set, new intake doors...new intakes coming soon too. Gonna start it piecemeal while I rebuild my model supplies...heres hoping to FINALLY getting it done after all these years.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, started the kit in earnest once again. Starting off with these godawful nacelles, trimming the fat off of them plus adding some rivet lines. Speaking of which, where would one find a decent print of rivet lines for the B-1? Im going to be adding these details during off times when Im lacking hardware and kit pieces, and would like to be as accurate as possible.