Guest Geoff Ebeling
I think I might be the only guy here building it in the original three-color SAC camo scheme.  I still have not been able to load any images to my posts.

Chris Ish

I plan to build my second Bone in the original 3 color camo. I plan to build "Wild *** Ride" off of the Fox One sheet for SAC Bones. Just have to start making some progress on the first one that I have started!

I think I might be the only guy here building it in the original three-color SAC camo scheme. I still have not been able to load any images to my posts.

My too. I plan to build my 3rd 1/72 Bone in SAC colors, using the Fox One Early Bones decals.

In 1/72 I assemble wings before painting.

Guest Geoff Ebeling
Now that I have the CE burner cans, I think they are a touch too small in diameter. <_< Any one else notice this?

I started looking at that section of the aircraft last night, test fitting pieces and looking to see what work will need to be done. I have to agree with you though, they do look too small after I did some test fitting. I also have the masterpiece cans and they look like they are to long and also look to wide at the aft end. I don't think there is anything that can be done about either set though.

I’m building No.86-114 “Live Free or Dieâ€, of the 37th Bomb Squadron “Tigersâ€, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, SD. 114 was lost in the Indian Ocean on 12 Dec 01 due to technical problems.

Question for you Mark since you have a very reliable source of B-1 info. I read that 86-0104 is now also named "Live Free or Die" and is part of the 37th BS. Is this nose art the same as the one that crashed or did they change it? Do you happen to have any better pics?

Guest Geoff Ebeling

I was looking for some pics of either 104 or 114 with the noseart "Live Free or Die" and the tail flashes that they wore as part of the 34th BS at MO (I think both were 34th AC for a short time?). I was thinking of building one of them (if I could find pictures) with the MO markings. I have a long term goal of finishing a B-1 (48 or 72 scale) from every base that had them since they entered service. I am having the most trouble finding references for the MO aircraft and as far as I know there are no decals for them so I am going to try making my own. If you can help it would be greatly appreciated or if you know of another site with some pics that would be great!

:thumbsup:

I did one in 1984 (!!!), yes it's the same kit as Revell was rereleasing this time. Here is a sideview of the cockpit ...

Impressive! Do you have any pics of it finished and lit up? How much of the instrument illumination do you actually get to see when they're lit? How do you have it displayed? Show us more if you can.

Cheers!

I was looking for some pics of either 104 or 114 with the noseart "Live Free or Die" and the tail flashes that they wore as part of the 34th BS at MO (I think both were 34th AC for a short time?).  I was thinking of building one of them (if I could find pictures) with the MO markings.  I have a long term goal of finishing a B-1 (48 or 72 scale) from every base that had them since they entered service.  I am having the most trouble finding references for the MO aircraft and as far as I know there are no decals for them so I am going to try making my own.  If you can help it would be greatly appreciated or if you know of another site with some pics that would be great!

:thumbsup:

Geoff,

I'll see what I have, but a lot of what I do have is of the 37th at EL.

I don't know when 114 was at MO, if it was. If memory serves me right, the squadrons usually hang onto specific names of aircraft. So if one A/C is transferred to another squadron, I think it gets renamed. Sometimes a new name, sometimes a re-name, like Live Free or Die in this instance. So, I'm not sure any A/C at MO whould have had that name. Now, with the 34th moved back to EL in Sept of 02, I heard that some of their A/C went to DY. The A/C that stayed with the 34th likely kept their name. For any A/C that went to DY, they may have been renamed.

Cheers!

Do you have any pics of it finished and lit up? How much of the instrument illumination do you actually get to see when they're lit? How do you have it displayed? Show us more if you can.

Sorry Guys!

I have only some pictures of the cockpit, the mein-undercarriage and the weaponbays, most of them underexposed. I did also illuminate the burner-cans and the position-lights. I inserted a rechargeable battery behind the cockpit and some electronics for the possitionlights both sides of the mid weaponbay. I also linked the wings to get a synchron swap. The elevators was balanced with a weight on a lever. The tailcone was removeable to connect the recharger. As much as I remember I fitted about 20 meters of cables into the plane. I also installed 4 electric engines to get the engines running .... they had a great sound! All the installed things had switches ... remotecoltrolled by wires inside the tailcone

During transmigration in 1985 I've discontinued this plane because I had no place to display this huge thing ;) . Now it's also waiting to be finished sometimes ... or to get a new B-1B to be rebuilded with more knowledge of the Bone.

Maybe I'll open once the plane and take some pic's of the inside installations :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All;

I finally made up my mind to get one Big BONE for myself as a X'mas Present yesterday after rading the discussion forum on this attractive bird. I never expected the BONE to be that big that I actually called a taxi to home without getting too much attention carrying it on the subway or bus!!

After a thorough check on the parts, I pretty much made up my plan of the following to build this big bird into a more attractive one:

1). The recessed panel line is Revell-Monogram's usual standard, wider in its scale. If you have Revell's F-14, F-15C/E in 1/32 scale, you will know what I mean. I plan to give the whole bird a decent amount of rivet to make it more appealing when finish. I do not see any of you plan to do this, welcome your opinion on it.

2). I also plan to open the two hatches over defensive/offesnive crew seats like Mr.Geroge Gochaleishvili presented his in ARC, so that I can show off the cockpit with detail as much as possible. I don't know if B1's four ejection seats are the same as F-15E's which look very similar to me so I intend to get aftermarket ones besides Edward's PE plate for the cockpit. Any one out ther can help me with detail cockpit photo is heartly appreciated.

3). How many of you plan to do a diorama set for BONE? I will bet a beautifully painted ground crew will make this bird even more eye-catching. I got inspired by the recent release German Kubelwagen in 1/48 from Tamiya which is a marvelous piece of work and is bound to lead the trend real soon.

That's about it, my contruction plan. Not having too much tought about where to put it when I complete the building, I guess I will start the work and just keep on going and leave this real serious problem all behind!!

Wish you all a Happy New Year!!

bay_1_blkhd.jpgexpl.jpgb_1_rcs_4.jpg

This is really a test to see if I can finally post pics using a Photobucket.com account.

The first pic is of the fwd bay bulkheads. I scratchbuilt the one on the left, which is the aft bulkhead. The kit would have you believe that the aft bulkhead of both the fwd & center bays are the same, but they're not.

The next is the result of me thinking that the gear needed some reinforcemen with some 3/32 brass rod.

The last one is the intake RCS vanes I made from plain old styrene sheet.

I got a 1/48 B-ONE for Christmas, I'll probably start it about this time next year, as I have no where to put it at the moment - I need to make room for the 1/48 Hustler I also got for Christmas. :wierdo:

Cool! :wacko:

CONGRATS, and welcome to the club! :cheers:

I have started some work on my 3rd 1/72 BONE: 85-059 "The Last Laugh". It carries my favorite Nose Art, and was inspired by Jake's (JMEL) work in 1/48.

Nose art was printed with a color laser printer over white decal paper. Will combine with Cutting Edge decals for the rest of the markings.

Man!! there are some impressive bones out there!!!! :wierdo: I am new to this ARC and love the B-1 bomber. I have got revell's 1/48 sitting in my corner and the damb thing scares me.I don't know if i have the abillity to build it well.I would like to thank all the guys that have posted pics of there work, my head is full of ideas.Mybe one day i will face the beast that sits in the corner of my model room. :wacko:

Guest horgasm

I'm getting to the point in my Bone where I'm starting to build the Towed Decoy system on the tail, and I'm still plugging away at the bomb bay. I have to ask definitively now, though. Is any company in the works in making a conversion/update for Monogram's 1/48 Bone? I've heard rumors of various aftermarket folks making stuff, and I dont' want to spend weeks crappily scratchbuilding stuff only to have a resin, accurate, drop-in part come out 3 days later. I'm asking specifically about a bomb bay, the towed decoys for the tail, and to a lesser extent, a cockpit or gear bays. Thanks to anyone who knows.

what color are the wires in the bomb bays?

The wiring along the sides of the internal bays is bundled and some bundles are cream-colored while others are dark brown-black. I have pics I can scan and send you of "Kansas Lancer" I photographed at the Dayton Air Show. These would be very useful in detailing the bays.

Marv

www.scalejets.net