FYI....

That video was titled "Doomsday Mission" and was part of a series for Discovery Wings back in about 2001.

It looks as if you could have bought this in a multiple-disc set from the Discovery Channel. There were like 123 episodes in this box set (not all were aviation). It was called the Discovery Channel Collection and actually came in a little wooden crate (kinda neat). It was also very pricey. I have found it online for as cheap as $165. There does seem to be some VERY interesting shows in that box set. Here is the link:

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1035721

Hopefully this will give you guys a point of reference to unearth one on the internet. Maybe you could find just that disc "Wings II" that someone would be willing to part with.

JED

Thank you Jed.

Here is picture of the tail I just finished. It won't be anything special for you guys but you could actually say that this is my first model. So I am quite surprised how the decals came out no silvering at all. I used Xtracolor FS16118 Gunship Grey (X130), Mirco Set and Mirco Sol and over brushed it with some flat clear coat. I also added Shulls ALE-50 towed decoy, because I am building the 85-0083 that was stationed at RAF Fairford and flew in Operation Allied Force. These Bones where apperently one of the first to get the ALE-50 installed.

Cheers Sven

tail.jpg

Edited by Alway_S
Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Alway S,

Great Job! Just by the tail picture, I can tell that it turned out WAY better than my first model. I have learned alot from now and then thanks to the guys here on the good ol' ARC! Oh ya, welcome aboard!

Jake

Sven,

That looks awesome!

Now that my 360 bricked on my last night, I will be pouring into my B-1. I have been putting it off since a buddy and I decided to build a B-1 simultaneously. He has a few unfinished models and I have been waiting on him, but now I have the right motivation to go ahead and jump in.

Like you, my B-1 is going to be my 1st "real" attempt at modelling. I did a few cars when I was younger and I recently decided to try my hand at a decent aircraft model. Since the B-1B is my favorite aircraft, it was a no brainer.

JED

Edited by B-1 Nut
Sven,

That looks awesome!

Now that my 360 bricked on my last night, I will be pouring into my B-1. I have been putting it off since a buddy and I decided to build a B-1 simultaneously. He has a few unfinished models and I have been waiting on him, but now I have the right motivation to go ahead and jump in.

Like you, my B-1 is going to be my 1st "real" attempt at modelling. I did a few cars when I was younger and I recently decided to try my hand at a decent aircraft model. Since the B-1B is my favorite aircraft, it was a no brainer.

JED

There's a lot to be said for going at it again when you're an adult. As a kid I had no idea what I was doing, but I made the best of it, and with that previous experience you can certainly build on it. Now, there's sooo much more out there as far as resources go, both in online information and mountains of aftermarket goodies.

I'm glad I picked the hobby back up.

short question to all bone-heads :

does anyone know what this yellow marked part below APU is ????

apudetailsku4.jpg

EDIT (2 hours later) :

i guess this round brown thing is the APU, isn'it ? and the box above is only the exhaust, right ?

who has some more pics of it, especially the underside ? I'd never saw this item displayed at an 1/48-scale model of the bone, and want to build it scratch.

Hans

Edited by jack52
short question to all bone-heads :

does anyone know what this yellow marked part below APU is ????

apudetailsku4.jpg

EDIT (2 hours later) :

i guess this round brown thing is the APU, isn'it ? and the box above is only the exhaust, right ?

who has some more pics of it, especially the underside ? I'd never saw this item displayed at an 1/48-scale model of the bone, and want to build it scratch.

Hans

Doesn't the eduard PE set include the exhaust? It's pretty tight in there, and once you get that vane in place on the underside of the nacelle it makes the area almost invisible. Pretty much all you can see is the exhaust once everything is in place.

Edited by Dez

Howdy Gents! I'm building the Big Bone myself and someone steered me to this thread. Lots of good information here that I'll be using. Mine is going to be much simplier than what y'all are doing. I'm building it for my Uncle. We make the cartridges for the fire bottles and he likes to have models of the birds we're on. Since he doesn't have a lot of display space, it will be hanging from the ceiling. I won't be doing the cockpit and will have the gear up. I am doing a little detail to the bomb bays and this is what I've got so far.

Eddie

HPIM0019.jpg

HPIM0026.jpg

HPIM0220.jpg

Edited by Eddie M.
Howdy Gents! I'm building the Big Bone myself and someone steered me to this thread. Lots of good information here that I'll be using. Mine is going to be much simplier than what y'all are doing. I'm building it for my Uncle. We make the cartridges for the fire bottles and he likes to have models of the birds we're on. Since he doesn't have a lot of display space, it will be hanging from the ceiling. I won't be doing the cockpit and will have the gear up. I am doing a little detail to the bomb bays and this is what I've got so far.

Eddie

Eddie,

That looks fantastic! I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve. I just got started on my B-1. I am currently working on the lading gear, so I have a LONG way to go.

Keep those pics coming.

JED

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Dude, that is great! It's amazing, we put all this detail into our models, and then half the time you cant evern see it.(cockpit, etc....)

Jake

Dude, that is great! It's amazing, we put all this detail into our models, and then half the time you cant evern see it.(cockpit, etc....)

Jake

Thanks guys! You're right about the detail you can't see. I found out that with the mod I made, the weapons load that come with the kit won't fit because of it. So, I got a few ALCMs that I'm going to put in the bay with the mods and use the kit loadout in the other bay. Here's how it looks in mock up.

Eddie

HPIM0075.jpg

HPIM0074.jpg

Eddie

HPIM0019.jpg

HPIM0026.jpg

HPIM0220.jpg

Might I suggest that instead of having the holes drilled through a strip of styrene (and all the attendant depth the strip has) and inserting the wire, just cut each strip down the middle so that the holes are split. That way, the harnesses would sit atop the wire and fit over it, rather than having the wire run through them, and eliminate the height issue. The same visual effect would result.

Like so:

harness.jpg

You might have to widen out the holes a bit more from side to side to accomodate the thickness of the wire, but you still get to use what you started with. B)

Edited by Dez

That is an excellent idea! I'm going to try that for the second bomb bay. Thank you very much. I was studying the ref photos and was wondering how I could do it. I wish I would have come here first. I could have saved my eyes a bit of trouble.:banana:

Eddie

Edited by Eddie M.
That is an excellent idea! I'm going to try that for the second bomb bay. Thank you very much. I was studying the ref photos and was wondering how I could it. I wish I would have come here first. I could have saved my eyes a bit of trouble.:)

Eddie

33 pages? You're still going to give your eyes trouble. :cheers:

33 pages? You're still going to give your eyes trouble. :cheers:

Bad part about is I'm still on dinosaur dial up. I may need a cornea transplant before I get it all read. :)

Eddie

Edited by Eddie M.
Bad part about is I'm still on dinosaur dial up. I may need a cornea transplant before I get it all read. :doh:

Eddie

:rofl:

It's the 21st century, man!

Good luck with that! I love my cable modem, and when I go to the mother in law's house (she has dial-up) and need to do something online, I'd honestly rather shave my thighs with a cheese grater. :)

Edited by Dez

hi fellas,

I just posted the finished article in the Critique Corner thread, with thanks where they were due for the help and inspiration you gave me when things were slipping away from me!

There's also a free gift which the likes of Dez and B-1 Nut will have a good chance of winning!

Cheers guys,

Al

Wow..what a read....all 33 pages....

I am relatively new to the B-1b club having one that Started in 1988 and been working on and off thru it from High school thru college and now with kids......

I have been looking all over the web for some info and photo's of the memphis belle 86-0133

I also need to know if the towed decoy system was installed when the GA ANG had them.

Thanks in advance...

Eric

i also just read or i guess scanned this entire thread, but unfortunately i was not able to view most of the pics, since they are blocked by my work.

I have been a BONE fan for quite some time ever since i bought the 1/48 revell monogram kit for about $30 when i was still in high school. i was still quite the novice back then. The finished model was destroyed by accident.

I then bought the Revell Germany 1/48 version about 3 years ago when i was in college and put a lot more time and effort into, including the Eduard PE set. i painted it with Tamiya gunship gray (which in my opinion is too dark) and decaled it and everything. i was unsatisfied with the result however, and stripped all of the decals(they were not under a clear coat). the model is now sitting on my dresser ready for a coat of future and the two bobs decals that i purchased a while ago. i also will weather it.

I have never used future before, nor have i ever used washes to weather models. PLEASE POST ANY TIPS OR TRICKS, so that my BONE turns out great. I would REALLY appreciate it.

Heres the plan of attack:

1. Coat(s) of Future.

2. Decal

3. Coat(s) of Future to seal the decals.

4. Weathering

5. Coat(s) of Flat clear coat.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance. :cheers:

I have been looking all over the web for some info and photo's of the memphis belle 86-0133

I also need to know if the towed decoy system was installed when the GA ANG had them.

Thanks in advance...

Eric

Eric,

Welcome aboard!

Here's what I've come across in my research on 86-0133.....

86-0133 was given the nose art "Memphis Belle" by Dru Blair at Warner-Robbins AFB on 1/18/2000. According to other research, the actual "naming ceremony" might not have been until 7/28/2000 (I'm a little unsure). It was swapped from the 166th BW to the 7th BW (Dyess AFB) in the 3rd quarter of 2002.

This is where it starts to get a little foggy....for me at least.

Some of the names of the systems may be wrong, so someone can correct this:

The towed decoy ALE-50 "pod" was added in the Block D upgrade, and the upgrade was completed on 5/9/2002. The ALE-50 was supposed to be upgraded to the ALE-55 system in the Block F upgrade, but this program was cancelled for various reasons. I know nothing about decoy systems, so it is all numbers and letters to me.

Since the Block D was completed by 5/9/2002 and the GA ANG to Dyess transfer didn't occur until quarter 3, 2002...the answer would appear to be....yes. It did (at some point while wearing the Memphis Belle nose art) have a towed decoy "pod"...even if it may have been for a short period of time.

I don't have record of when 86-0133 was changed from Memphis Belle to Old Crow Express III. I have located pictures on the internet that were taken of it in 2003, so I know the nose art was changed by then.

I know this is more than you asked for, but I hope this helps you out.

JED

Eric,

By the way...I'll do some digging and see if I can't find some pics of 86-0133 in Memphis Belle markings. (It was so late last night when I responded that I forgot to look for some pics.

I was torn between 86-0133 Memphis Belle and 86-0105 Snake Eyes for my model, so I have a little bit of info on both of these. PM me with your email address adn I'll send you what I can dig up. I'll even send you some really good Bone history that I've dug up...just for your reference.

JED

Hi Eric (or gsquared),

You wrote :

Wow..what a read....all 33 pages....

I am relatively new to the B-1b club having one that Started in 1988 and been working on and off thru it from High school thru college and now with kids......

Thanks in advance...

Eric

found this for You : GA ANG

report about joining of 86-0133 with Georgia ANG on july 28th (year ?, Jed, please help).

the pic isn't very clear, but for my eyes there's no AN/ALQ-50.

i have some more pics (res. links to pics) of the memphis belle, if You want them let me know.

Regards, Hans

Edited by jack52

I have been looking for that webpage! I saw it a year or so ago and have not been able to locate it again. I thought it had been removed. Thanks Hans!

The year of the article was definitely 2000. That does confirm what I read from another source.

I am positive that in 7/2000, 86-0133 did not have the AN/ALQ-50. It was definitely added at a later time, but before it was transferred over to Dyess.

Personally, I am modelling my rendition of 86-0133 without the AN/ALQ-50. It is definitely accurate to model it as such and it saves me a little money and time.

Here are two pics you might find interesting. They were both taken at the 2003 Australia International Airshow in Avalon. The show was in February of 2003. You can see that the B-1B on display (86-0133) has been given its new DY tail code and banner, but the nose art is still "Memphis Belle". If you look really close in the 2nd photo, you'll see the AN/ALQ-50 pod. This sort-of confirms what I thought about the timing of the addition of the pod to 86-0133. Although this is not difinitive (i.e. I do not yet have a clear picture of 86-0133 in GA ANG markings with the pod), it does provide pretty strong evidence that 86-0133 did wear "Memphis Belle" nose art, GA ANG markings, and an AN/ALQ-50 pod at the same time. Dyess had not had time to change the nose art on 86-0133 until later in 2003 (renaming the bird "Old Crow Express III").

B1B_and_KC-135_static.jpg

B1B_Static_Side.jpg

There are a couple of shots on airliners.net of 86-0133 at this airshow too. They are a lot better quality, but they don't have an angle that would show the pod.

I hope this helps Eric.

JED

Mark,

You can count me in. Been building one on and off for about the past 14 months. She's pretty much in one piece except for the nose cone, horizontal stabs, and engines. Planning to do her in the SAC stategic scheme, using Fox One decals. Also used some bits from the eduard set, some true details seats in the main cockpit, and I have the cutting edge nozzles.

I've been taking pics while building, and will try and post some. The biggest problems for me have been the mating of the tail and nose assemblies to the fusealge. I've been left with some pretty huge steps and gaps...mucho bondo work. That's what's taking me so long to finish her.

Best regards,

Mark