This would be my second bone. The first one is currently being redone in the inflight mode, and my second

b-1 is in progress. I am adding fox one decals to the second one and hopefully some aftermarket exaust nozzles to replace the bare ones supplied with the kit. Got to love those bones to have two 1-48 scale b-1b's

and so little room to display them!

Edited by caudleryan

Hi guys,

need some help. I'm searching for good bone pics in SAC/Euro-1 - scheme, especially 86-0134 "Wild A.. Ride" from McConnell AFB. or 86-0103 "Huntress" from Ellsworth AFB.

There are tons of pics in all-grey camo, but i want to do my bone in SAC.

Hans

Edited by jack52
  • 1 month later...

Well, thanks to the recent postings, I decided to dig out the box from underneath the stash, where its been since 2004. Man, to think there was a time when I had 5 of these kits, all bought with Hobby Lobby's 40% off coupons. I'm just down to 2 now, having sold the rest for $$ needed at the time. Since then I also have gotten a 7.2 mpx camera, up from the 3.2, so I figured I'd take some pics.

One thing I did do was remove the wing walkway stripe masking from the overall 36118 gunship grey wing. I used the reverse masking method where I painted certain areas of the wing the dark grey of the stripe color (36081 Dark Gunship), then used graphic drafting tape to mask off the striping & painted the rest of the wing 36118 gunship. That was like three years ago, & I finally took the tape of yesterday. As you could imagine, that tape was really stuck on there, & a small area of paint came up with it, but that was it. I used the same method on the camo wing too, just that the colors are reversed for the camo scheme. I also noticed that I didn't extend the striping far enough towards the wing roots.

wing_diff1.jpg

You can see the difference in stripe colors in this pic, as well as the nav lights I made from colored clear styrene stock from Cutting Edge. After looking through the DACO B-1 book, it looks like I made the nav lights too big. I just followed the kit's panel lines when I cut them out. Live & learn.

wing_nav_lights.jpg

There was a time I was really, really into this project & wanted to do a whole bunch of things to it, like cockpit carpeting. I just ran across carpet flocking for car modes at the hobby shop one day, & inspiration struck. Don't think I'll bother with that again, but hey, it was like 4 years ago when I did this. The rear pit has some Eduard PE stuff attached to it.

Fuzzy_pit1.jpg

Fuzzy_pit2.jpg

I also dug out those infamous "Are they modeled backwards or something ?" Masterpiece Models Resin nozzles I bought way back. I think I spent $30 on them, so I really think I'm going to use them at some point.

Exhaust_MM.jpg

Cutting Edge nozzles:

Exhaust_CE.jpg

Pretty much as far as I've gotten. Nose section all glued together, needs filling & sanding before painting:

top_overv.jpg

MLG Bay is as finished as its going to get for this one:

bot_overv.jpg

Ish

Ish,

Looks pretty awesome! I really like the carpet idea.

I know that a lot has been said about the small diameter of the Citting Edge featherless exhaust nozzles. After reading what some of the more experienced guys wrote about the nacelles in the kit being too short (approx. 9mm too short), I wonder if C.E. didn't intend for the burner can portion of their exhaust kit to "poke out" the rear of the nacelle a little and be puttied up. Then glue to nozzles to the cans and not place them inside the nacelles a little....at least that is what I hope they intended. If not, they missed it by a country mile.

That is that I am intending to do...all I still need to do is putty up the transition from the rear of the nacelle to the edge of the burner can. Hopefully that would work for you too. If you'll notice, the diameter of the cans and the diameter of the rear openings in the nacelles are almost identical. All I had to do was glue some strips of 0.015 (maybe it was 0.020) styrene to the outside of the cans so that they would fit tight in the nacelles. It worked out well, although it is hard as a mutha to get them square in both directions since the nacelles are so contoured.

Here are a few pics to show what I tried to explain above....

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

Many of the guys in this forum are letting their cans protrude 9mm, but I opted for 5mm....mainly as a mistake that was too far gone to correct :lol: . At least the slope of the putty from the nacelle to the edge of the can will provide the appearance that the nozzles aren't too small in diameter.

It still makes me wonder if C.E. knew of the kit's nacelle shortcoming and planned all along for the cans to protrude out the rear of the nacelles. If they did, they surely didn't note this on their instructions.

I can't wait to see your finished product. It looks awesome so far.

JED

Something I think no ones brought up (have not re-read all 13 pages recently) concerning the CE nozzles is that the end of the actuator rods are actually underneath the nacelle. Wait, I know I've sen pics recently where someone used the CE stuff, & made it look like the fwd end of the actuator rods go underneath the nacelle. This will be a fun fix.

Ish

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Have been looking at this thread for a few days reading the entries etc.

My penchant is 1/48th. I have x1 kit part made OOB but has been in the loft hangar for many months now.

Recently aquired x2 more kits on e-bay for almost 1/2 price. Now that Was lucky?

I'm also in search of the DACO discovering the B-1B book.

Has anyone got or know of one for sale at a good price please?

Have enjoyed following your build pics and the detail you have incorporated. Amazing!

What are the best replacement 'burner cans' and does anyone yet do a replacement wheel set?

All credit for starting/running this thread.

I just thought of a good fix for the CE nozzles/recessed actuators:

When you fit the CE burner cans, you need to put them in a sleeve of 0.2mm (inches equivalent?) plastic card so that they fit - as in this pic:

40.jpg

What i should have done is let the plastic card completely cover the CE cans and protrude past the lip about 2mm, creating a recess between the card rim and the edge of the burner can.

41.jpg

Then when I puttied the cans flush to the nacelle, it would have left a nice little recess for the actuators to fit under when the CE nozzle is attached.

I hope you get what i'm talking about - it's the one thing on my build i would have changed if i could!

Good luck on your builds!

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys! watching this thread has gotten me worked up to jump in the fire, but im having a dickens of a time finding anyone that still stocks the kit! does anyone have any suggestions where i might find it? ive tried luckymodels, hannants, great models, sprue victory and a slew of others. any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I hope you guys can help me out with this one.

I am currently building a Bone in 1/48 that flew in Operation Allied Force.

The small problem I have is that apparently they only used the M82 500lb bombs. So now I have to scratch build the 28-store CBM but I can't find any decent photos to start from.

Thanks and Cheers

Sven

Hello,

I hope you guys can help me out with this one.

I am currently building a Bone in 1/48 that flew in Operation Allied Force.

The small problem I have is that apparently they only used the M82 500lb bombs. So now I have to scratch build the 28-store CBM but I can't find any decent photos to start from.

Thanks and Cheers

Sven

There's one in the ARC gallery by Kamil Pranata - he scratchbuilt the launchers for 56 bombs!

01_B-1B_Bomb_bay.jpg

Note the Bone never flies combat with the extra fuel tank...

There's one in the ARC gallery by Kamil Pranata - he scratchbuilt the launchers for 56 bombs!

01_B-1B_Bomb_bay.jpg

Note the Bone never flies combat with the extra fuel tank...

Here are two pictures of my prototype CBM.

It will need some putty and some sanding but the "outside" of the CBM is nearly finished.

What do you think would I be able to cast it in one go or should I cast the sides and the "roof" seperatly.

Thanks and cheers Sven

cbm01.JPG

cbm02.jpg

Edited by Alway_S
I am glad to see that this thread is still alive!!!!!

i'm too !!!

Hallo Sven, check mal Deine private email. Hab Dir ein paar pics geschickt ( nicht copyright-frei, darum poste ich die nicht hier ). Weiß nicht obs passt, schau mal.

Gruß, Hans

Guys,

My apologies for being absent for so long. I see there have been a number of posts (which is great to see) and some questions to me. While I can say I was not receiving my email notifications of new posts, I was also not ignoring you.

I have been going through a series of significant life events (deployment overseas followed by a separation and pending divorce). Naturally, I have been taking the time to deal with all that is involved, and trying to get my life back on track. Of course, work has a way of demanding my times as well.

I was making limited progress on the BONE (ordnance and weapon bays) in June and early July, but not recently. While it may have appeared the kit had broken my spirit; not so! It is however, great to see the thread is still running. More from me and my progress in the near future.

I haven't had a chance to review all of the new progress since my last visit months ago, but will attempt to do so and answer any questions, soon. In the meantime, feel free to message me directly so I don't miss any questions.

Thanks and happy building!

Mark

Edited by Mark Lynam

soon as I finish what I'm working on my 1/48 Bone is next in line planning on doing an aircraft of the 9thB.S Bats got some pretty good pics of one last year at seymour johnson's air show I"m at work right now,but I'll try to upload them for you soon :o Ed

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year! This past week has been a big one for me, modeling-wise. I really feel like I'm making some progress on my Bone, and hope to have it closed up soon. I got the gear bays put together, re-wired the main gear struts, added the photoetched parts to the gear, and, my favorite of all, got the cockpit built. SO here's some pics of the almost-completed cockpit. It just needs the seats (stolen and modified from the R/M F-15E) the sticks, and the ladder. I used the Eduard PE set, and lots of scratchbuilt details.

DSCF4987.jpg

the front cockpit. I added some avionics racks and some details to the galley and toilet areas.

DSCF4991.jpg

The rear IP. I also added the Sat-com printer (the little white thing above the 2nd screen from the left) with the paper roll sticking out the top. I also added the non-skid coating on the floors, heavily weathered, and detailed the ladder crawlspace.

DSCF4992.jpg

This is the rear wall of the rear cockpit. I added a few wires and avionics boxes, and opened the door to the avionics bay. The electronics on the walls of the bay are old F-16 cockpit parts.

Enjoy folks!

very nice detail work, cockpit walls, the galley looks very good really.

but i miss the yellow fire extinguisher near the toilet. Why to hell it is placed just there ..... ? :worship:

regards, Hans

Edited by jack52

Oh man this thread is awesome. A lot of info on the Bone!! yeah baby!!

I have a quick question, I just purchased the old revell 1/48 kit B-1A/B. It's the one that give you the option to do the all white Bone. Can you guys tell me if I can build a decent kit out of it? I'm leaning more toward building the all white Bone. So, if someone here got some info on that and willing to share, that'd be awesome. :thumbsup:

Mike

Take a look through this thread. I know 35 pages seems daunting, but it has tons of information on building a decent kit out of the 1/48 Bone. Just be patient with it. It's a big kit, with lots of issues. OH, and get some putty. In the biggest bucket you can find.

Take a look through this thread. I know 35 pages seems daunting, but it has tons of information on building a decent kit out of the 1/48 Bone. Just be patient with it. It's a big kit, with lots of issues. OH, and get some putty. In the biggest bucket you can find.

:cheers: can't get away from that putt can I.... :D and you are correct 'bout 35 pages but what the heck.....time to sit and enjoy some popcorns.. :popcorn:

OH, it's there, Hans. You just can't see it from the angles at which I took the pictures. Maybe they put it there in case you set off a smoke detector while in the can?

hi RedHeadKevin,

i think they need it if a crew member had a real hot chili before the mission ...

Hans

Edited by jack52