There's one in the ARC gallery by Kamil Pranata - he scratchbuilt the launchers for 56 bombs!

Note the Bone never flies combat with the extra fuel tank...

In the last year or so a forward bay tank has been carried on combat ops as there haven't been enough targets on a given sortie to justify carrying three bays of weapons.

PBAR

bonewso.net

Edited by calvinb1nav

ok- I have a Revell 1/48 BONE, and I've got 16 JDAMs to put in two of the bays, with the third bay being the fuel tank.

My question is, are the GBU-31s on a rotary launcher similar to the SRAM missiles that come with the kit? Or is there some other bizarre launcher/rack in the weapon bays?

JB

Yes and Yes. The Common Strategic Rotary Launcher is similar to the workings of the SRAM launcher in the kit. However, there are some significant differences to the two launchers. Take a look through the 36 pages of this thread (quit whining) and find the pics of the ones folks have done. They show just about everything that needs to be done to get a well-detailed CSRL

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, looks like I'm a few years behind the curve, and still making my way through the 36 pages of posts. I just picked one up off ebay finally after missing it when Hobby Lobby had it. I'm going to try and make my way through this entire thread, but anyone want to volunteer as the resident expert if I have a couple questions? Going to try and make it as modern a bone as possible.

1/48, guy wanted $18 for shipping from NC to FL, said it requires a big box. Can't wait to get it. I saw it in Hobby Lobby about 1.5 years ago when I was still in ATL and was being greedy hoping they'd have their 50% sale on models again. Someone eventually bought it, probably just used the 40% coupon like I should have.

Wow, finally got through all 36 overwhelming pages. While I'm waiting on my 1/48 B-1 to arrive I want to get started ordering the extra pieces. I'd love to make this a modern B-1B, but most of this thread is 4 or more years old. Can the B-1 experts provide some advice?

So far I'm planning on ordering the following:

Eduard's B1-B Lancer Detail Set

Eduard's B-1B Lancer Exhaust Detail Set --= OR =-- CE B-1B Turkey Featherless Exhaust Nozzles (4) (Suggestions?)

S Hull's AN/ALE-50 Towed Decoy B-1

Also need advice/suggestions on weapons. What does the kit come with and what do I need to make it current OIF/OEF time frame?

I've never done any of this scratch building that you are all talking about, not sure I'm confident enough in my putty manipulation skills. Also having trouble finding current B-1B decals in 1/48. Any help is appreciated.

BTW, some of you guys builds are amazing, is it worth all that effort in the bays and cockpit if you can't see it after assembly or weapons loading? I might try some of the things you all did if it's visible enough.

Thanks

I've never used PE parts, but about to try my first set of ZOOM ones on my F-15E

Just appeared that a lot of folks were having fit problems with the CE ones so I wasn't sure if the PE ones would be better?

Edited by Dale
I'd stick with the Cutting Edge exhausts, unless you're REALLY good at bending PE parts. There's a lot of fiddly bending on those exhausts, although they look great.

p48499_00b.jpg

What the heck..............that is super cool. Red, who makes these??

Mike

Mike,

that's the photo etched exhaust from Eduards that I linked.

Ok, in preparation for detailing I picked up .015 dia and .032 dia soldering wire last night and it seems to hold paint pretty well. I also picked up some magnet wire (22, 26 and 30 gauge) for the extra fine lines although I haven't paint tested them yet. I doubt I'll do it as much justice as you guys, but I'm going to give it a go.

Kevin,

how hard is PE brass to work with? As long as I'm going to be going all out I might as well try for it unless you guys say it's about impossible to do without a lot of prior experience. Also, did you look at the CE exhaust link I posted? They look different than the ones I saw all you guys posting so I was wondering if they got retooled?

The Cutting Edge exhaust:

CEC48389.jpg

One more thing,

can anyone point me to decals of current B-1B in service? I initially wanted to build the Memphis Belle since I'm a GA native, but as I'm trying to make this an up to date build I should look for current markings.

Any resident bone crew or experts help out? Best thing I can find is the cutting edge decal series but am unsure if they are current aircraft or not, graphic is too small for me to read the words. Looks like a lot for DY

Thanks

One more thing,

can anyone point me to decals of current B-1B in service? I initially wanted to build the Memphis Belle since I'm a GA native, but as I'm trying to make this an up to date build I should look for current markings.

Any resident bone crew or experts help out? Best thing I can find is the cutting edge decal series but am unsure if they are current aircraft or not, graphic is too small for me to read the words. Looks like a lot for DY

Thanks

Dale, I don't know if it's current or not but I think Twobobs B-1B Shock and Awe is the best decal sheet in the market. I'm not sure if it's still up for sale by Twobobs, but it not hard to find.

Mike

Well unfortunately it's not on TwoBobs.net site, so I'll have to keep looking around somewhere for it.

On a good note, FedEx just delivered mine, wow, I forgot how big the box is!

Well unfortunately it's not on TwoBobs.net site, so I'll have to keep looking around somewhere for it.

On a good note, FedEx just delivered mine, wow, I forgot how big the box is!

I'm sure some here will have Twobob sheet for sale if you ask and as for the size of the box. ...Man, I had a tuff time getting that box into the house without someone seeing it.. It sat in the garage for 2 days before I could sneak it in.. :banana:

Well I went ahead and ordered the Memphis Belle decals. Still planning on building the bird as up-to-date except for the markings.

Still need advice on the bombs. Shawn Hull has some great looking ones, but not sure how many of each I'd need for proper loadout or if the rails that come with the kit can support them. I'm looking at cluster bombs, or the GBU-31 or 38's. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

I'd stick with the Cutting Edge exhausts, unless you're REALLY good at bending PE parts. There's a lot of fiddly bending on those exhausts, although they look great.

p48499_00b.jpg

Anyone know where I can find 1/72 exhaust and other detail parts for a current Bone?

Only things I could find:

Goffy Model 1/72 Resin Aircraft Details (cockpit) on RollModels.net

Return of the Raiders by FoxOne decals

On Meteorprod.com:

Parts:

B-1B Canopy & Wheel Hub Masks for Monogram/Revell by BlackMagic

B-1B Turkey Featherless Exhaust Nozzles (4) by Cutting Edge

Decals:

B-1B: Penetrator/96 BW, Memphis Belle/116 BW, Boss Hawg/7 BW, Global Power/28 BW by Cutting Edge

B-1B: Snake Eyes/28 BW, Bad to the Bone/7 BW, American Flyer/28 BW, Warrior's Dr by Cutting Edge

B-1B: Uncaged/7 BW, Sharkmouth/184 BW, Spit Fire/7 BW by Cutting Edge

Hope that helps

No problem.

I'm doing my best to revive this thread for those of us that are a couple years behind the group, but still trying to build a respectable Bone.

Now if we can get the ol' pros to jump back into the fray we could really make some progress....

Just talked to one of the instructors here who is a B-1B WSO and he confirmed that they pretty much always flew with the fuel tank in the forward bay while on missions during OIF/OEF

Did they use the tank flying out of Diego, Thumrait, or both? I would imagine they used it flying out of Diego, but I don't know if they would have used it flying out of Oman.

For my build, I was planning on 8x GBU-31v1, 8x GBU-31v3, and 8x GBU-38, each in their own bay on rotary launchers.

Jonah

Edited by Gator52
Dale said:
Just talked to one of the instructors here who is a B-1B WSO and he confirmed that they pretty much always flew with the fuel tank in the forward bay while on missions during OIF/OEF

Hi, just dropped in to see how you guys are doing! Good info there Dale, i was sure it was just a ferry tank, but hey! you got the inside man!

Good choice on making a modern Bone, but if you check out my build (starts about page 16 on the thread) there are some things you would have to scratchbuild if you want it to look right. The 1988-vintage camo version of the Bone is what you get in the Revell kit, modernising requires some imagination, but this thread contains all the information and reference pics you need.

The best resource you can get is the DACO B-1B Lancer book by Willy Peeters. Get one! I could part with mine for $15 plus S&H (from UK) if you can't get one.

Shawn Hull's ALE-50s are perfect, Cutting Edge exhausts need some help to fit accurately (sorry bud more scratchbuilding!). Nobody makes the CRLs so you will have to scratchbuild those or adapt the SRAM launcher in the kit. Mark Lynam's are just jaw-dropping, but if you want to try something easier, my ones are passable imitations!

The best decals are FoxOne's Return of the Raiders set. I have the Cutting Edge Penetrator/Memphis Belle/Boss Hawg decals which I wouldn't mind offering for free if you want to pay the S&H.

Good to see the thread is still alive and well! Keep it up guys,

Al

Edited by Pruz

Al,

Are these the same ones that require so much work? Wasn't sure if they've been reworked or not. CE nozzels

I'll look for that DACO book and if I can't find it I'll send you a message. I've got my Memphis Belle decals (couldn't find the Raiders in 1/48) in and the CE details set. Also Shawn Hull has received my order for the ALE-50s and I still need to decide which bombs to order from him. I have no idea what the CRLs look like (guess I'll get that from the book) and I've never scratch built anything before. That will definitely be a challenge for me.