My B-1 is coming along. Wings, Stab, and Tail section are primed and ready for paint. Bomb bays are complete less stores. I want JDAMs and the kit came with SRAMs......Why SRAMs? Gear wells are almost complete. Need to add a few more details. Cockpits have been started.

100124StartingAssembly001.jpg

100124StartingAssembly002.jpg

100124StartingAssembly004.jpg

100124StartingAssembly003.jpg

100124StartingAssembly007.jpg

100124StartingAssembly005.jpg

100124StartingAssembly006.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

how did you solve the wing seam problem? also this kit is over 25 years old...thats why this model still has b-1a details to it. Edited by utley
how did you solve the wing seam problem? also this kit is over 25 years old...thats why this model still has b-1a details to it.

I filled the seam on the bottom with stryne and MMD White Putty, the sink on the top was filled with MMD White Putty then block sanded.

Just found this thread and have "skimmed" through it. I've been working on mine for a week or two and have a few questions.

Can anyone sum up what needs to be changed to make this a current B model airframe? I know about the burner cans and have the Eduard cans to replace them. Hopefully I won't go mad building them. I also already have the other Eduard PE set.

Also, what other loadout options are out there besides the AGM-69s in the kit? I started building those and doing 16 poor fitting missles isn't real fun.

Oh, one other thing: What about the Scale Aircraft Conversions metal landing gear set? Any advantage to them? I'm not reading too much of anyone having issues with the kit gear, so I'm wondering if the detail is better and/or maybe less seam cleanup.

Edited by Dana F
Just found this thread and have "skimmed" through it. I've been working on mine for a week or two and have a few questions.

Can anyone sum up what needs to be changed to make this a current B model airframe? I know about the burner cans and have the Eduard cans to replace them. Hopefully I won't go mad building them. I also already have the other Eduard PE set.

Also, what other loadout options are out there besides the AGM-69s in the kit? I started building those and doing 16 poor fitting missles isn't real fun.

Oh, one other thing: What about the Scale Aircraft Conversions metal landing gear set? Any advantage to them? I'm not reading too much of anyone having issues with the kit gear, so I'm wondering if the detail is better and/or maybe less seam cleanup.

the bumps near the exhaust nozzles need to be filed off for starters, you also need to get vortex generators for the tail. eduard has a detail set that includes them. if you have that detail set, pg 3 iirc (try 1-4) of this thread shows what they look like and where they go. that set comes w/ static wicks too, just fyi. also the plumbing for the bomb bays are different, but i wouldnt worry about that. shull24 makes some countermeasure pods as well, but hes closed for a while.

afaik, im getting the metal landing gear too...the plastic ones are a pain in the *** to try to detail. the hoses break too easily, and they are too flimsy for this large a model. the metal landing gear is a new item, bit ive been waiting 2 years for a better set. i have all my srams ready for paint, which was a task, but i dont really want em. i got cbu's and jdams for mine instead....and if anyone wants/needs srams, ,ine are sanded, puttied, and primed with all the detail intact. anyone wants/needs em, let me know. think i have 32, 2 kits worth.

Edited by utley
the bumps near the exhaust nozzles need to be filed off for starters, you also need to get vortex generators for the tail. eduard has a detail set that includes them. if you have that detail set, pg 3 iirc (try 1-4) of this thread shows what they look like and where they go. that set comes w/ static wicks too, just fyi. also the plumbing for the bomb bays are different, but i wouldnt worry about that. shull24 makes some countermeasure pods as well, but hes closed for a while.

afaik, im getting the metal landing gear too...the plastic ones are a pain in the *** to try to detail. the hoses break too easily, and they are too flimsy for this large a model. the metal landing gear is a new item, bit ive been waiting 2 years for a better set. i have all my srams ready for paint, which was a task, but i dont really want em. i got cbu's and jdams for mine instead....and if anyone wants/needs srams, ,ine are sanded, puttied, and primed with all the detail intact. anyone wants/needs em, let me know. think i have 32, 2 kits worth.

So, any idea when the coutermeasure pods will be available again?

As for the weapons, I just want the option of replacing the kit agm-69s. So, what would have been loaded on the rotary luncher that I can replace the agm-69s with?

So, any idea when the coutermeasure pods will be available again?

As for the weapons, I just want the option of replacing the kit agm-69s. So, what would have been loaded on the rotary luncher that I can replace the agm-69s with?

jdams, large conventional weps, tomahawks...if its the length of the bomb bays they go on a rotary. there isnt much the bone cant or dont carry. Last I heard, shull24 is down until febuary at least, so his stuff "should" be available soon.

Edited by utley

If this information is already known, my apologies in advance.

I'd like to forward some information from Mike Reeves of Two Mikes Resin Accessories. He has given me permission to share this info. While looking through Two Bobs Decals site I read the comment of a future 1/48 B-1B bomb bay release from Two Mikes. I sent an email to inquire as to when it would be released. Mr. Reeves replied:

"At the moment that set is slated for release for the IPMS USA Nationals this summer. It is a pretty involved project."

So, I asked if this set would be a complete replacement or to detail the kit's bombays.

"Complete, new bomb bays :monkeydance: Rotary Launchers too."

I then asked if there was any chance of a B model airframe update set and he replied:

"it is all part of the grand plan......:cheers:"

So, I don't know about you guys, but my B-1 just went back in the stash!

So, I asked if this set would be a complete replacement or to detail the kit's bombays.

"Complete, new bomb bays :) Rotary Launchers too."

--'et too

(hoping for AGM 86 launchers !!)

If this information is already known, my apologies in advance.

I'd like to forward some information from Mike Reeves of Two Mikes Resin Accessories. He has given me permission to share this info. While looking through Two Bobs Decals site I read the comment of a future 1/48 B-1B bomb bay release from Two Mikes. I sent an email to inquire as to when it would be released. Mr. Reeves replied:

"At the moment that set is slated for release for the IPMS USA Nationals this summer. It is a pretty involved project."

"Complete, new bomb bays :whistle: Rotary Launchers too."

I then asked if there was any chance of a B model airframe update set and he replied:

"it is all part of the grand plan......:)"

that's good news, but i can find a few things to do before they arrive...gotta figure out how to get rid of that ugly seam in the intakes and that space between the fuselage and nose gear well.

Gents

The B-1 stuff is well under way in 1/48 and yes, we are going to have a think on the 1/72 as well. Please remember that what we are doing are very involved and will be taking a bit more time to do. Our goal was first quarter this year but realistically that simply won't happen. We will have the stuff at the IPMS Nationals this summer. In fact I have gotten a spare kit to use as a slave for parts to add to it for our display at the show. Once we get enough done, I PROMISE to post pics of whats done. One question asked was if we are just using the kit bays to base our sets on. The answer is no. The bomb bays are being scratchbuilt from the ground up. The basic shells are finished and we are now in the process of adding the details and planning on best how to cast them.

Cheers!!

Mike

Gents

The B-1 stuff is well under way in 1/48 and yes, we are going to have a think on the 1/72 as well. Please remember that what we are doing are very involved and will be taking a bit more time to do. Our goal was first quarter this year but realistically that simply won't happen. We will have the stuff at the IPMS Nationals this summer. In fact I have gotten a spare kit to use as a slave for parts to add to it for our display at the show. Once we get enough done, I PROMISE to post pics of whats done. One question asked was if we are just using the kit bays to base our sets on. The answer is no. The bomb bays are being scratchbuilt from the ground up. The basic shells are finished and we are now in the process of adding the details and planning on best how to cast them.

Cheers!!

Mike

just out of curiosity, how much detail are we looking at here?

hopefylly well get 1/72 bays and launchers......maybe 2 sets of rotary launchers would be good? SRAM and the standard ones? Id like a B-1B with jdams, jsows and a sniper pod!!!!!

The monogran is faaaaar better than that airfix kit. Ive built both. The airfix kit is like a half B-1B and half B-1A so I hope two mikes does the conversion/update for the monogram kit.....

Edited by modelman11
to best replicate the real thing in 1/48??

i like the sound of that, but im rwally wondering how hard would it be to convert your bays to conventional iron bomb racks...or if the rotary launcher is so detailed would i even dare put any munitions onboard. :whistle: you know what i would really love to see?? that ugly-as-sin seam on the wings disappear.

Edited by utley