;) Hello fellow bone builders. After seeing all these impressive Bones ;) i think i'm gonna get started on mine.I was wondering where i could get some detail photos.A book or maybe pics that some of you guys got.Any help would be nice.Thanks in advance,Ed

This is what I call a lifetime project. I still want one more kit. Now that Fox One has announced a new B-1 sheet , that has decals for 13th BS on it, I'll be able to do all three units from Dyess AFB (9th & 28th) . Why, do you ask? Well, the last airshow I went to was the Dyess AFB Open house in mid-AUG 2001. We all know what how the world of airshows changed for the worse a few weeks later. Each squadron had the wing commanders aircraft in the static display area, with a weapons team putting on a display on how conventional bombs were loaded into the bays. Might make a interesting diorama.

B1_tri.jpg

Chris Ish

i have anearly issue kit of the 1/48 B-1b and was wondering what if anything can i make it into an up to date model of the B-1b. :crying: . its the one thats all white and also molded in white plastic.Or should i buy the newermodel ,i dont even know if its been updated to latest specs.

Hi ThunderThud,

Chances are your kit will need upgrading. Heck, even the more recent B-1B kit from Revell Germany needs updating, and yours will probably do just fine with the same upgrade sets. Of course, you'll have to have a close look at some of the BONE pics in here (kits under construction and real aircraft pics from the walkaround section), and compare them to what your kit is depicting, and go from there. Of course, if you are planning on having the gear down and bomb bays open, then the more mods needed. You could however, build it as an accurate B-1A. That will still probably require some mods to make it authentic, but maybe less than that for a B-1B, just a suggestion. A lot of the differences between the A and the B are system related internally, but there are some external structural / cosmetic differences too. Antennas, bumps / fairings around the engine shrouds near the burner cans, the burner cans themselves, vortex generators, Towed Decoy Faring, intake fences, etc. If you chose open bomb bays, then the ordnance carried today is different, as are some of the racks. If you have a good read of some of the posts in here, you'll see some of the points I've mentioned and what the guys have done to correct them. As for the white plastic, whether you go with a B-1A or B-1B, you have to just make sure you lay down a thorough base coat before the overall White or FS 36118 Gunship Grey.

For aftermarket stuff, there is the photo etched (PE) set from Eduard #48 325, the Burner cans from Cutting Edge # CEC48389 (but if you decide to do a B-1A, you won't need these cans), and some decals from the selection shown above. The rest is done by scratch, if you want to go that far. :bobby:

HTH

;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ron Leonard

Hi all...I was deployed to the B-1 base during OIF and got the pictures of "Seek and Destroy" that TwoBobs used for their decal sheet. Upon return to "the world" I bought a 48th B-1B and the CE burner cans and the photo etch sheets from Eduard. I will build mine as Seek and Destroy and when I was up sitting in it ...it was well over 150 degrees! It was a pretty awesome sight to see and hear 6 or 8 B-1's rumble down the runway for the New Years 2002 Tora Bora raid! :wave:

:D Hi poeple im new at this site , but i love the bone actually , a long time ago i plan to get one but they say its not in production anymore until i need to beg my friend to sell me his 1/72 scale monogram bone. Well he turn it down, but until lately i found there is a reissue and after i read the thing there is in this site ( so graceful plane u guys built) i decide to order mine this fri ( just call the fellar to send to me on fri right after i dig in my wallets for extras)

Its monster but dmn pretty .... :thumbsup:

i really :D u guys doing wat u do now . i plan to built mine after i shop around for the after market parts

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,guess i better add my name to this list.over the years i've managed to pick up 4 of these things in 1/48.

even started one maybe 18 months ago,finished the cockpit and tail section.but kinda lost the will to live trying to remove all those ejector pin marks from the bombbays/MLG bay :wave:.

but i've decided to try and finish at least one of them in my lifetime.

i taped the main fuselage section today with Tamiya tape,then added the wings,nose & tail.i'd forgotten just how big this thing is in 1/48 :(

so hows everyone else coming along with their own Bones?

:o

Does anyone have a good system to make the RCS vanes on the inside of the intakes? I saw the 1/72 one here on ARC, but I don't think the way they did it would look right in 1/48. I'd especially like it if anyone had pics of the intake trunk-half with the vanes installed, so I could get a good feel for the configuration. Thanks in advance.

Guest Guest_Mark Lynam
Does anyone have a good system to make the RCS vanes on the inside of the intakes?  I saw the 1/72 one here on ARC, but I don't think the way they did it would look right in 1/48.  I'd especially like it if anyone had pics of the intake trunk-half with the vanes installed, so I could get a good feel for the configuration.  Thanks in advance.

Josh,

Ishthe47guy has some. Ask him for a link to his homepage.

Mark

I am also building a b-1. I am at the final masking and almost ready to paint. The intakes turned into a nightmare, so I will be closing them up. I am building oob execept for the intake covers. Anysuggestions on building those or is it just a styrene sheet?

Thank you,

Jonathan

Hey all. Here are some pics of the RCS vanes I made from plain old sheet styrene.B_1_RCS_4.jpg

B-1_RCS_2.jpg

I traced out the location of the vanes on the outside of the upper intake trunk, then cut through the plastic with repeated scores from a scriber, then placed the styrene card through the slots, with a lot of excess sticking up. I plan on using some Tenax to secure the bottom of the vanes to the intakes, & plain old testors liquid glue (in the black bottle) to secure it to the top of the intake trunk on the outside, where it won't be seen.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if putting the vanes in from the bottom , where no glue would show, & using tenax ot the top, where most people looking inside the finished intake wont see it, would be a better way to go...

• 3 weeks later...

I had to laugh today. I was finally able to get my forward fuselage closed up, with all the parts installed. I then glued it to the main top-fuselage. Wow... this is getting big. Then, for fun, I taped the main parts together. Now i'm scared. The kit is as big as my kitchen table. It pratically comes up to my waist, both in length and span. without any landing gear, bomb bays or nose weight, it already weighs about 5 pounds. There's 3 square miles of gaps to fill (kidding.. it's only 1 square mile) But I'm still laughing at how frickin big it is! This is really the first time I've thought of it as an airplane, not a collection of subassemblies. I'm not sure if i'm inspired or horrified.

Hi Kev,

Glad to hear you're making progress. Mine has been put on the back-burner until Mid April when I finish this damn course I'm working on.

Sorry I didn't reply to your request for more landing gear pics. I didn't get an email notification that you had posted in here, and I haven't been visiting as frequently as I used to. But to answer you question, what I posted is what I have. I made a post with several gear pics under the In Progress forum, way back when. Probably about last summer. Have a look at those.

;)

Dom... back on the first page of this topic, you posted pics of your wings. I noticed you had a slit cut into the wing hinge, making it a "c" instead of an "o." I'm presuming it's to make the wings either removable, or so you can install them after painting. I'm thinking of doing the same... I was wondering if there were any tips you could give on this. Thanks. Kevin