Poll: Scribing Panel Lines.

How do you deal with raised panel lines  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you deal with raised panel lines

• a) leave them as is.
    • b) research and re-scribe only the necessary panel lines that should not be raised.
    • c) scribe all the darned things.

Rescribe every line. Fill and correct the wrong lines. Drill out all resessed rivets. I use Tritool scribers. :thumbsup: But if the lines are too close to the rivets like I have on my Puma then I will wash and dry brush the raised lines. Can't afford to lose the rivets to sanding.

The question is not, to rescribe or not to rescribe?

But rather what is realistic for the particular subject you are building?

This is where research plays a big part. What my be realistic for one subject may not be realistic for another. Also don't forget the scale effect, meaning that panel lines may be overscaled/oversized and therefor unrealistic for that particular scale.

On the other side of the coin one could take an exaggerated approach to your model by rescibing regardless of realism or scale, which does tend to make the model more interesting, but it could also make your model look like a circut board.

This is where research plays a big part. What my be realistic for one subject may not be realistic for another. Also don't forget the scale effect, meaning that panel lines may be overscaled/oversized and therefor unrealistic for that particular scale.

On the other side of the coin one could take an exaggerated approach to your model by rescibing regardless of realism or scale, which does tend to make the model more interesting, but it could also make your model look like a circut board.

I can't think of any scenario in which a raised panel line accurately depicts a real panel line. I read somewhere that the Monogram B-17's raised lines correctly depict the overlapping panels of the real plane, but having seen a B-17 close up the panels look nothing like the raised kit lines. Conversely even kit recessed lines, if scaled up, would be much too wide to be truly accurate, however my own feeling is that they're still more accurate than raised ones. They're also easier to work with- reinstating them after sanding seams for instance, or highlighting them with a wash.

:D I leave them as they are.For several years ago, I was in a hangar of the 32nd. in Soesterberg AFB,Holland.Saw a F-15C Eagle and suprise,surprise,sand down and fill in all the panellines on your models.I don't care,I try to build models.I don't enter any form of contests.So if my wife :cheers: likes the build plane,I like it.

So,i'm not a rivet counter.I leave the contestbuilderrs to the contest and ,for my self, I concentrate on the showmodels.Maybe I'm comming from Holland,I don't have the feeling to win a contest.Several years ago I enter a contest with some tanks in 1/72 scale .Take the winning places and that's it.My feeling?Is that all?Panellines,I leave them and concentrate on "building models",have many in stock.Reg. Han :(

I can't think of any scenario in which a raised panel line accurately depicts a real panel line.

What I Mean't to convey was, not whether it is realistic for an aircraft to have raised panel lines or not, but rather if panels lines are visible at all, depending on what scale you are working with.

NEITHER raised or recessed is Accurate.

Each is a method of representing panel lines- and beutey is in the eye of the beholder.

Raised lines get easily sanded off, recessed don't- Advantage recessed.

Recessed costs more to tool- Advantage raised.

Debate- PRICELESS!