The most useless modelling product

I have to say I use liquid mask quite a bit on canopies. You can use white glue as well but either way I find it great for canopy contours that are tough to mask using tape. I have however never really found a good use for Parafilm. Although it's kinda fun to stretch out. You have to make a game of it.. see how much you can stretech it without splitting. That's really what it's meant for.

Testors tube cement. I still use tube cement regularly but have not gone near Testors in more than 30 years. Stringy, nasty stuff. Very poor quality.

The only cement worse than that was something called No-Tox. It was supposed to be safer because it smelled like artificaial lemon flavouring. It also couldn't be made to cement parts and rarely could be used as stickum. I had bought a tube because it said 'new' on it. My patience lasted a couple of days and I went out to get a new tube of Lepage's.

I bought a bottle of Maskol once, used it, put it away. When I opened it a few months later there was nothing in the bottle except a pillar of solid purple rubber that smelled of rotting fish. Not many products can claim to do that.

I may be a lone voice here but I think Mr surfacer is a waste of time. I paint it on a seam, leave it to dry, and then sand it off again. Since none of it stays in the seam, what's the point?

I guess I must be the minority. I find Parafilm to be extremely userful for masking canopies. You just have to learn to let it site for a minute before you lay it on the canopy.

Kevin

I have no problem with Parafilm either. Think it is great and have had no problem with it shrinking. It is vastly overpriced though, if you get it in a small box from Testors or Micromark. Normally it comes in a 25 or so foot roll from a lab supply store for not that much more than you get a small roll in a "hobby" box

I would have to agree that ultimately there are no truly useles modeling TOOLS. . .who says you have to use them for what they were designed for?

HOWEVER. . .there are some genuinely useless model products out there. . .

Top of my list: Microscale Micro Flat/Satin/Gloss. Liquid Mask and Micro Weld . . .utter crap!

:thumbsup:

Old Blind Dog

I may be a lone voice here but I think Mr surfacer is a waste of time. I paint it on a seam, leave it to dry, and then sand it off again. Since none of it stays in the seam, what's the point?

Hey Mike, I don't use anything else than mr surfacer 500 for all my seamwork. (well mostly...) And I think that it is the best filler around. (Including Tamiya's). It's amazing how different people's opinions can be :thumbsup:

Hey Mike, I don't use anything else than mr surfacer 500 for all my seamwork. (well mostly...) And I think that it is the best filler around. (Including Tamiya's). It's amazing how different people's opinions can be 

You're right, Kaan; I'm one of the dissenters who thinks Parafilm is brilliant, I use it almost exclusively for masking. Having seen the pics of your models, you're obviously using Mr Surfacer correctly while I'm just as obviously doing something wrong with the stuff! So I just use CA and accelerator for most seams now.

Ahhh... my kinda thread to post on. The most useless modeling products, hmmm.... that's a no brainer for me:

I hate those damn wheel masks. What the heck is that about? Anyone who can't spray the wheel then brush paint the tire outta get out of scale model building. My God! Give me a break!

Next are those stupid canopy masks. Like someone above said already, Tamiya tape works best. So does clear adhesive tape if you don't leave the tape on for weeks afterwards (the adhesive sticks to the plastic when you peel the tape off).

Camo scheme masks. Wholly crap! It's so easy to make your own masks. Photo-copy the pattern and apply it to the model surface. Geez!!!

I could go on for a while here, but the wife and I are going out tonight to see the "Aviator" so I'm outta here. Thanks for the great thread though.

Peace,

Randy

Testors tube cement. I still use tube cement regularly but have not gone near Testors in more than 30 years. Stringy, nasty stuff. Very poor quality.

The only cement worse than that was something called No-Tox. It was supposed to be safer because it smelled like artificaial lemon flavouring. It also couldn't be made to cement parts and rarely could be used as stickum. I had bought a tube because it said 'new' on it. My patience lasted a couple of days and I went out to get a new tube of Lepage's.

I use Testor's tube cement, periodically, just so that I can get it to hold still while I layer over with Tenax 7R. And only in small dots, so that I don't get spillage. That's the only d****d thing it's useful for. B)

Anyone who can't spray the wheel then brush paint the tire outta get out of scale model building. My God! Give me a break!

Lmao... Classic B)

I prefer hand painting wheels... No point in getting out the airbrush for something so small ;)

Cougar

Can anyone tell me what glue-sticks and white-chalk would be useful for???

For modeling, or in a classroom? :worship:

Mike

For modelling...~sigh~ ;) :D

(666 post??? B) OH NO!!!, the sign of the BEAST!!!!) ;)

Testors tube cement.  I still use tube cement regularly but have not gone near Testors in more than 30 years.  Stringy, nasty stuff.  Very poor quality.

The only cement worse than that was something called No-Tox.  It was supposed to be safer because it smelled like artificaial lemon flavouring.  It also couldn't be made to cement parts and rarely could be used as stickum.  I had bought a tube because it said 'new' on it.  My patience lasted a couple of days and I went out to get a new tube of Lepage's.

I use Testor's tube cement, periodically, just so that I can get it to hold still while I layer over with Tenax 7R. And only in small dots, so that I don't get spillage. That's the only d****d thing it's useful for. B)

Give Humbrol a try. It won't string on you. It also makes a fine strong joint.

I just picked up a tube of Lepage's, mostly for old time's sake. Same great smell it always had ;) and I bet it worls too.

Hmmmm.... It looks like I am taking the minority position here and have found some great uses for both liquid mask (in any of the different brands) and Parafilm in my modeling. I use liquid mask at times when other traditional methods of masking just don't cut it, even though the liquid masking is used in small amounts. In the past week I have used it to: seal some small openings in an open cockpit that I masked over in drafting tape. This both seals the masking tape to prevent edges creeping open and also in case I missed a small, irregular area, mask off the tip tank lights and front part of 2 pitot tubes on a L-39 Albatros. This took 30 seconds and the liquid mask is easily removed when the final coat of semi-gloss is added in this case. I also added a drop to complete the masking of the tail end of a 1/144 F-27. Masking tape just could not go around the small end. Once again, it will be easy to remove at the end as I have done this on similar models. The key is using the liquid mask as a pinpoint masking medium or to cover odd shaped areas.

I tend to use parafilm to mask over large areas of my models to prevent oversray. I find it easier than using paper towels and masking tape. I bought a large roll in bulk years ago from a lab supply company, so it costs as much per application as paper towels!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Actually, I find Testor's tube glue useful for big seams that need to be strong. I normally use Tamiya thin cement, and it's just too weak sometimes.

I found the Bare Metal Foil scribing tool to be a big waste. I can do the exact same thing with an exacto blade.

Can anyone tell me what glue-sticks and white-chalk would be useful for???

For pet owners:

Draw a line of white chalk around your pets' food bowl to keep ants away.

Using glue-sticks, (after a few beers) put a small dab on the pads of your cats' feet and enjoy the fun!

:thumbsup:

Squadron Green Putty and Testors Putty (grey tube). MicroSet would go on my list too if I owned it -- nothing like overpriced vinegar, eh?

I actually like Testors red tube glue. It's extremely strong -- I've dropped biplanes on the floor and wings and landing gear stayed attached. Every glue has it's day -- I often use Testors, Tamiya, Tenax, and liquid and gel superglues within the same project.