Most useful modeling product.

I couldn't contribute much to the "Useless Tool" thread. I'm too cheap to buy lots of gadgets. I don't have anything useless in my toolbox.

What are some of the tools/products that you find useful? Here are some of mine:

Lab-quality tweezers. I got these when I worked at a place with a Lab. They are GREAT for holding tiny parts. Forget about the tweezers from the cosmetics section.

The "new-generation" Hobby Knife. I guess we all have them by now; it's the one with a soft plastic handle, a hex collar to keep it from rolling off the desk, and an improved method of holding on to the blade. Those old all-metal X-actos would flare out and loosen their grip on the blade. It sucked when they rolled off the desk onto my lap too!

Punch and Die set. I have several. These are great for scratchbuilding instrument panels. I've also made diffuser discs for car mufflers, rivets, bolt heads, etc. (I have a Historex Hex set). I would love to have the OOP Reheat Hex Set.

Evercoat Eurosoft Glazing Putty. this is a two-part putty sold for use by professionals on real cars. It doesn't shrink and it feathers beautifully. It's like the stuff becomes one with the surface of the model, whether plastic or resin. (I do use lacquer primer under it) This came in handy with Italeri's Su-34.

Microbrushes. . .I use 'em for all sorts of things!

They are indispensible for detail paint work. . .applying Tenax. . .applying acclerator for CA. . .applying small bits of glue where needed. . .I've even used the handles of old worn-out ones to apply just the right amount of Krystal Klear for simulating marker lights etc etc.

:thumbsup:

Old Blind Dog

Threre are lots of good tools out there. I just this week bought something called a modellers chisel. Its a chisel point blade with rounded corners so it doesn't gouge. Its quite heavy so its easy to push. Its useful for removing raised details and sprue gate marks left after cutting parts from the tree.

Ron

Amen, Kevin! :cheers: Tracey knows how much I enjoy this hobby & even buys me gift certificates for special occasions. :(

Of course, Xacto knife...toothpicks....clamps....Good lighting fixtures....Opti-visor all come in very handy!

Happy modeling,

Jim B)

The simplest tools are the best - I have used safety razor blades for over 40 years.

Use them hand held to clean up seam lines, scrape off raised detail and cut out decals. I have carved air filters from contour putty, trimmed silvered decals and used them to separate control surfaces.

Superbly sharp, they can trim mould pips in a single swipe, no sanding necessary. This is especially useful on canopies!

And they are cheap, disposable and available everywhere.

Those old all-metal X-actos would flare out and loosen their grip on the blade. It sucked when they rolled off the desk onto my lap too!

That happened to me a few weeks ago. I was trimming and dry fitting some pieces and watched my X-acto roll off my desk and fall point down. it was like it was rolling and falling in slow motion. it did stick my leg, but luckly i was wearing blue jeans.

i guess then the most useful tool i have (next to my blue jeans) would be either my X-acto or needle file set.