Fw190D-9 - Hasegawa 1/32

Next step : starting wings upper surfaces :

The baby is wrapped inside soft cleaning paper and Tamiya tape :

190D9-56.jpg

Then I did apply the lighter color (RLM82 -> Gunze acrylic with 7-10% white to soften the hue and taking into account the scale effect).

Finally the panels centers were lightened with same paint with more white and yellow, heavily thinned :

190D9-57.jpg

A few remarks about above pic :

1. Some panels are only partially painted : for example the black preshading lines are still very visible on some spots : it is normal, those areas will be painted over with darker RLM83 paint (second camouflage paint), so I did not need to do a whole clean RLM82 paint on those areas...

2. This look is maybe not the final look : I need to first apply RLM83 color before deciding to either leave it like this or airbrush a very heavily thinned mist of base RLM82 to soften the contrast.

3. " A Dora is NEVER weathered because end of war, short operational life, etc" -> NO. This one is modeled in March 45 after about 7 MONTHS of fights and flights... Living on mud, snow, hidden under trees, etc. (read "Green Hearts - First in combat with Dora). So I think (after also some look of war time pictures of some D9 of JG54/JG26) that at least this aircraft could accept some medium weathering...

Next step : RLM83 on wings, same method, light post-shading :

190D9-58.jpg

I still need to make a few touch-ups here and there (for example, a small panel on right wing with too much weathering). I will do that after applying RLM 82/83 on fuselage.

Blackdog i love this model, and your others. Your weathering is perfect.

I think you are one of the best moddellers on this board.

But why not try a F18 or a modern plane? Im sure you will make it turn out great.

Thanks man take care!

Edit: I remember my days of IL2 FB, man i loved the dora, could not turn but had serious speed, and was reliable :thumbsup:.

Skuki, Skii, Matt, David, Kristian, Noni,

thanks for your comments :D

but she is not done yet... Quite a lot of work still and I let the hard camo part for now : mottling on the fuselage (/crossing fingers)...

Noni : I really love the Dora sleek look and performance in IL2/FB/AEP/PF sim line, but I never mastered it fully : it is a very effective energy fighter, and you must use Boom & Zoom tactics to win against most enemy fighters, which is quite historical... I am better with turning fighters, so my favorite planes are the Spitfire or even the 109G6 which both have good energy/turning rates...

And about doing modern jet planes : I don't know... I am in my WW2 phase since 2 years... Previous phase (15 years ago) was modern jets (I have a F-16, a A-6 and a few others) but my skills and tools were lower than now, so the results were ok but not outstanding (but that is what is nice with modeling : you can improve with each kit done, and that is what I am trying to do)...

Skuki, Skii, Matt, David, Kristian, Noni,

thanks for your comments :D

but she is not done yet... Quite a lot of work still and I let the hard camo part for now : mottling on the fuselage (/crossing fingers)...

Noni : I really love the Dora sleek look and performance in IL2/FB/AEP/PF sim line, but I never mastered it fully : it is a very effective energy fighter, and you must use Boom & Zoom tactics to win against most enemy fighters, which is quite historical... I am better with turning fighters, so my favorite planes are the Spitfire or even the 109G6 which both have good energy/turning rates...

And about doing modern jet planes : I don't know... I am in my WW2 phase since 2 years... Previous phase (15 years ago) was modern jets (I have a F-16, a A-6 and a few others) but my skills and tools were lower than now, so the results were ok but not outstanding (but that is what is nice with modeling : you can improve with each kit done, and that is what I am trying to do)...

BlackDog if you feel comfortable with WW2 planes then go ahead, they look beautiful. Why not make a 1/48 B17? I think they are beautiful.

Yeah you like turning planes? I used to love the P47, 8 .50cals where great. But when your being chased, your dead :).

I loved the 109K4, but i always used to overheat/break my engine from using MW50 too much.

Anyways take care and excellent work!

Small step today (visually speaking, it was 3 hours work).

Frontal engine cowl is now attached to main fuselage body, as is the windscreen.

I did a global overhaul of the two-tones camouflage on wings and horizontal stab so to correct a few glitches and to make flaps and horizontal mobile part inner structures appearing.

190D9-59.jpg

I need to check this tomorrow under daylight (it's night now), I will perhaps reduce contrast on flaps and mobile parts by spraying a last mist of base color...

Then, painting wing national crosses...