So close i can almost taste it . . . .

Evening,

I started this kit 14 months ago and have stopped and started so many times since then. I'm FINALLY closing in on completion and it's getting difficult not to rush the final steps. Here are a couple photos of where i'm currently at:

F4Jinprogress003.jpg

F4Jinprogress002.jpg

F4Jinprogress001.jpg

It's been quite a learning experience, one i've relied heavily on this site to help me through my personal modeling challenges. Thanks to all of you that contribute to this site. :lol:

That looks great! It appears as though you will be completing the kit exposing the radar. I'd love to see what references you have for painting the APG59 and of course see how you complete yours. I'm currently builidng a 1/72 F-4S with the Verlinden set so that I can expose the radar but was unable to find any good quality photos for use as a painting guide. Again, excellent Phantom!

Thanks for the support guys.

StevenJ, the nose cone will be attached after all of the armament and engines have been installed, just in case i need to add more weight.

This is the first jet model i've built in over 25 years. Actually, the Phantom was still considered state-of-the-art the last time i built a "modern" kit :wacko:

Wingnut, I understand. You can't have a tail sitter with something built so well. I too have not built a jet model in a long time (or any model for that matter, quitting the hobby right after Gulf War I) and though have practiced on a few WW2 kits the past year, I never finished any and felt it time I move up to my real love which are jets. Namely aircraft from the Vietnam years and anything from Miramar since I grew up and still live in San Diego. Your build is looking great and real motivation to me and a reminder that I need to take my time and make sure I'm happy with each progression before moving on. And in that light, I'm going to post once again a thread asking for photos of the F-4J/S radar so I can paint it correctly. Based on a most recent photo I found, it appears as though everything is painted 16440, but it's hard to tell.

Great job! I can only wish mine builds up half as nice.

Thanks guys, you have no idea how much your comments mean to me.

Ishthe47guy, i "paint" the panel lines with ground pastels. I've tried washes but can't achieve the "shadow" look i'm after. Here's a photo of the bottom of the Phantom, using a medium grey pastel:

F4JPhantominprogress06.jpg

It's actually darker than the photo, so that once the drop tanks and missiles are in place, they'll literally "pop" right off the aircraft at you. I'll post pics when i'm finished to show you what i mean if it's not clear.

StevenJ, i've had to walk away from this kit numerous times mostly because i was trying techniques (first time with photo etch and resin) that were frustrating. I'd start a simple kit (like the Tamiya Me109E 4/7) and then come back to the Phantom and it really helped. I've actually built four full kits during the numerous breaks on this one bird. I didn't want it to become a statistic that would haunt me :blink:

Thanks again for all the kind comments, it keeps me coming back to the workbench for more punishment.....err, i meant fun. :worship:

For not having built a jet in awhile, it sure looks like you haven't forgotten how to do anything.

Thanks guys.

Darren, i never used to weather my models. It was only after i started up again a couple years ago and discovered this site and a local club that i started to "see the light" :thumbsup:

I love the paint work and I hope to see the finished product soon!

You and me both Nitka :thumbsup:

One of the great model building mysteries at work here: the closer i get to finishing, the more i have left to do.