One of my (hopefully) four entries into the GB is going to be a Revell 1:48 A model (the one with the VF-142 off of the USS America box art) converted to the B. I want to do weaponless, however the AIM-7s are already molded to the pylon. Would it be easier to slice off the missiles and use the kit pylons, or steal from the Hasegawa spare parts I've got lying around here?

By the way, she won't have AIM-54 racks on her either. Just out of curiosity, anybody else leaving the Phoenix racks off?

Thanks for the help! :wacko:

The Jury is out on the choice of better pylons... I'd use the kit ones, but that's because I would know they fit. It's not that difficult to remove the missile from the pylon.

I know it's your own business which kit you use, but I have to question your use of the R/M F-14A kit to make a B... if you have no other choice, that's one thing, but if you have the choice, you're much better off just using their F-14D kit, there is more that would have to come from another kit (be it Academy or whatever else) to make it a good B than there is on the D.

You know Colin... I knew about that before and COMPLETELY FORGOT! :wacko: LOL... Then you're pretty much in good shape! Although, I would add that the GRU-7 seats from the R/M F-14A kit (the REAL one) are pretty nice seats out of the box.

Now my confusion as to why so many people were using the R/M F-14A kit for a F-14B is cleared up! lol..

I have the exact same kit as well, and am building it into a VF-84 Tomcat from the Nimitz, circa early 1980's. As for the missile loadout, I pretty much went with the kit loadout, except for deleting the aft Phoenix pallets and replacing them with a single AIM-7 in the aft centerline recess station. this loadout, 3 Sparrows, 2 Sidewinders, and 2 Phoenixes, was actually a very popular loadout among Tomcat pilots of that period, but sadly it's rarely seen in scale models, with most kits having either all Phoenixes or all Sparrows between the engines, never both. My one complaint about the 1/48th Revellogram 'Cats, besides the touchiness of the main landing gear during assembly, is the lack of varied armaments and NO FUEL TANKS! I mean come on, anyone who knows anything about Tomcats knows that the external tanks mounted behind the intakes are all but mandatory for F-14's operating at sea.

Chris T., you can get a pair of resin drop tanks from Steel Beach. Its listed on the Sprue Bros. web site.

I've been hoarding one of the original issue Monogram A models that I bought in 1989 or thereabouts. Since I've decided to go "old school" for at least one of my builds (VF-14 A model, Bicentennial CAG markings) I pulled that sucker out.

Chris Ish

Wait - the Monogram A kit uses the D parts? I was hoping to get the D kit and build it with the VF-31 markings out of the box but I haven't been able to find that boxing anywhere for some reason.

Sorry, I feel I have to weigh in on this one as I too am using the latest R-M release for my A model in VF-41 markings. I guess they must be boxing a whole different animal that you are using Colin. I bought the latest rehash of the R-M F-14A here in the US. Yes, it does have an extra sprue that includes the D model TCS pod and the later style gun panel as well as B/D model burner cans. However, everything else in the kit is A model stuff (TF-30 engines, Non-NACA gun panel - actually, they did away with the grills which really sucks). you do not get the D model seats, you get the GRU-7's. So, I sort of agree that you kinda get a D model Tomcat. however, if someone were to buy the current R-M F-14A (with the VF-142 markings) and expect to build it straight out of the box as a D model then they are gonna be sadly disappointed. Looks wise, (short of getting the proper B model TCS pod) you are closer to a B model straight out of the box than a D model. Of course, for me, all I took from the extra sprue was the original ALQ-100 for the nose and the older (in theory) gun panel and I was good to go.

regards,

John

Wait - the Monogram A kit uses the D parts?  I was hoping to get the D kit and build it with the VF-31 markings out of the box but I haven't been able to find that boxing anywhere for some reason.

Superatom...the Revell F-14A right now actually comes with an F-14D kit in it...it doesn't use the F-14D kit parts, it IS the F-14D.....the RoG Black Bunny Tomcat comes with both the Pratt engines and the F110 engine parts from what I know as well. Anyone wanting to build this kit as an A would have to find parts for the TF-30 engines and the GRU-7 seats for the A model.

But yes...you go buy any Revell F-14A....you are actually getting an F-14D kit. Same thing is happening with Revells Blue Angels F/A-18. The Blues fly the A model, but the kit now has all of the sprues for Revells F-18C model kit...the older moulds are no longer in use.

So, it's safe to assume you are getting an F-14D even if it says F-14A on the box if it's a Tomcat from Revell in 48th scale.

i just build a RoG black bunny... so...

i didn't really take a look at the seats as a i used a TD pit

but i can tell you that the TF30 bits are there, just that they're fully opened. i had to use photoetch to put the gun gas vents to grills, that's about it...

i think it's mostly A model stuff. it's true, you do get the rest of the gas vents, F110 blades, but those just go straight into the spares box for me :cheers:

Oops...

I forgot to mention this when I posted. :cheers: The complete kit is the "A" model with the VF-142 box art, however I've got a ton of parts from the Revell "D"in the spares box that I got from a friend, including the updated engines, the proper chinpod, gun panels, etc. I even have the bits for the NACES seats (which obviously won't get used w/ this). I kind of really wanted to make this a "D," but without the square PTIDS RIO panel, I'm just going to make this an early "B" model.

Well, in my F-14D kit (the F-14D BOX kit), it came with the same nondescipt Gunvent piece... I can only assume they provided that for people who want to backdate their tomcats and don't mind scribing in the actual vents themselves? I've always found it really strange that you get to build either a VERY early A or a D (and with the right kitbashing, those inbetween)... the choice of chinpods is appalling.

the choice of chinpods is appalling.

Tell me about it. I actually had to scratchbuild the chinpod for my F-14A by taking the Delta-style pod and cutting it in half, filling in the hole with putty, and gluing the 'blister' they include that's supposed to be the Alpha chin pod on the bottom.