Fw190D-9 - Hasegawa 1/32

I did choose to minimize as much as possible the layers of paints and clear coats, so to keep initial color look and protect fine rivets engraving.

So to avoid clear gloss/decals/clear gloss, I am painting every marking I can with Montext masks. I was a bit cautious about using them for the '1 Black' plane number as the mask given for masking the white outline is amazingly narrow and fragile. But as told, wanting NOT to use decals if possible, I finally tried it.

The picture below is work in progress on the right side '1 Black' : white color has already been applied on the whole '1' shape, and I just put the very small outline mask above the 1 shape, so to protect the white outline paint while painting the black center...

190D9-66.jpg

I always miss an heartbeat when I am removing masks...

This time, perfect result, no glitch :

190D9-67.jpg

The number '1' is slightly overlapping the fuselage rear tank trap door (on the white outline), like on real plane. The sole decal applied so far is the wavy symbol of 4./JG26 (I have no mask for this). To avoid using an underlying gloss coat, I did rub the surface with MicroMesh 12000 until it was flat and glossy like glass.

Another heartbeat missed when removing the tank trap door (scratchbuild with plasticard), that part was tied to fuselage since beginning of paint tasks, 5 weeks ago. No problem again, I am lucky :

190D9-68.jpg

I will tie this trap in open position as a last step. Note : the fuselage side is not weathered yet. One can see (slightly) that the black from the cross national insignia is lighter (faded) than the one of the '1 Black' or the RV band. This is intended : Plane is seen in March 45. This cross was painted in August or September 44 after factory delivery and was left like this since then (that explains why this plane has such a cross type, most Doras during last months of war were sporting new type of black outlined cross with no white). However, the '1 Black' and RV band in front of the tail were painted at end o February 45, after switching to JG26. That is why th black is quite new. This difference is appearing well on one of the two known pictures of this plane, taken in March 45. I will slightly accentuate the faded look of the cross later with pastels.

On anoher subject : the picture below allow to see the rivets engraving : those rivet lines have been enhanced with graphite pencil powder, rubbed on wing with a soft clean paper tissue. The powder only remained inside the rivets...

190D9-69.jpg

Note : this wing is not fully weathered yet : I still need to put some oil wash in structural lines and to enhance chipped paint on 2 or 3 spots.

Last, view from belly, where I did remove the flaps and undercarriage maskings :

190D9-70.jpg

All the weathering still need to be done on this belly...

That's all for today !

This is going to be a master piece! It´s amazing the care you are taking to even the smallest details! Great job! I love the chipped paint effect one can see on the right wing: very realistic.

/Kristian

simply amazing work Blackdog, im going to be starting the same kit shortly. one question and i may have missed this but are you using acrylics? if so which brand? im kinda dissapointed in the model master enamels, i dont know why but after applying a flat coat they just look different to me. again great work and i cant wait to see the completed model. :cheers:

:cheers:

jeff

one question and i may have missed this but are you using acrylics? if so which brand?

Hi Jeff, yes I am mostly using acrylics. On this model, RLM76 LightBlueGrey is from Aircraft Colors (Color of Eagles), while other colors (RLM82/83) are from Gunze.

Hope it helps,

Chris

BlackDog, I love those tiny rivets!  :thumbsup: Is it difficult to create them?

Now I can see why you avoided too many layers of paint...

Thanks Oliver,

those rivets were made by two different methods :

- fuselage : sharp needle used along a Dymo adhesive tape to reproduce each single rivet individually : easy, no need to own specific riveting tool, but lenghty (several evenings to make each fuselage halve) and lines are not perfectly straights (not a big deal, it was true also for real planes).

Picture (posted October 10, 2004) :

190D9-12.jpg

190D9-13.jpg

- other parts (wings mostly) : I bought a specific tool named Rosie the Riveter, done by Petr Dousek, and I must say it is really a wonderful tool allowing to make quickly whole rivet lines :

190D9-38.jpg

Look here : http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/No...ter/riveter.htm you have all info about the tool, prices, how to order, etc...

Regards,

Chris

Coming along beautifully Chris! I like the idea of graphite powder for the recessed rivets. I usually apply a very thin oil wash which sometimes looks to stark, so I will try this method on my next project.

I learn something new from you guys all the time!