1/72 Trumpeter/Minihobby F-22

I know there is alot of speculation and interest over this kit yet nobody seems to of seen it!

MHM80210.jpg

Well I just saw it at my new local hobbyshop and had a look inside the box. It wasn't a long detailed look and I don't know much about the F-22 or Italeri kit its meant to be based upon but heres what I do know:

Plenty of nice details, the seat especially. Suface detail is recessed, even and very comprehensive although is somewhat heavy. Some mild flash on a few peices but nothing to really worry about. Forgot to look at the decal sheet though, sorry.

Group Captain,

Did you happen to notice if the weapons bays looked detailed?

Regards,

Murph

Sorry Murph I didn't. I just asked for a quick look inside and didn't want to take too long as I had no intention of buying it. I did buy a few other models though :D

I did however notice some seemingly nicely detailed Sidewinders and JDAMs though.

I might be going there again next week so I could try again, seem to get on well with the owner so shouldn't be a problem.

I finished buiding the Mini-Hobby F/A-22 a few weeks ago: IMHO it's an easier build than the Italeri kit(which I built several years ago). The fuselage is basically 2 pieces vice the 4 of the Italeri. The fit is better. The one area where the Italeri is better is if you want the weapon bay doors closed. In this instance Italeri has fewer parts for the doors-they molded them with scoring so you had to seperate the doors to show them open; Mini-hobby gives you all the doors as individual pieces. I agree with the other posts-this is an early production version-to me it looks like "Raptor 01". I also agree, we will probably have to wait on Hasegawa for a production version-but if some reports in Aviation Week are true the JASDF wants this plane-maybe it won't be to long. For Murph-I live in the USA, but no one seems to carry the kit here so I placed an order with Hannants. Be advised though Hannants has a mininmum order threshold, :D so either order 3 of them, or look through the on-line catalouge and order some other kits to go along with the Raptor :D

I just looked at it at the hobby store. My impression is that it's an improved copy of Italeri's kit. The intake interior is a dead giveaway...

The 1/72 Berkut is much the same, an improved copy of italeri's offering.

Improved = finer lines, better parts breakdown. Don't know how it fits because i just looked at it in the box.

I also agree, we will probably have to wait on Hasegawa for a production version-but if some reports in Aviation Week are true the JASDF wants this plane-maybe it won't be to long.

Where did you here that? With JASDF cutting F-2 production due to funding constraints, I can't see how they could justify an even more expensive aircraft like the Raptor.

I also think most of the F-22 technology is not going to be allowed to be exported - to anyone.

So what I get from all this is that the MiniHobby F-22 kit offers nothing else, other than better fit and a so so cockpit?

I guess the inaccuracy pre-evaul holds true. :wave: like most, just waiting for a quality manufacture to do one right in 48th. Ho-Hum. Yeah, it's going to be a while! :cheers:

Rich

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...