Pierre's Phantom F-4E Peace Icarus

Pierre, howcome you didn't just etch the LED hole out during the photoetch process ??? I admire your work ethic, those MFDs you first did looked pretty darn good to me, I guess they didn't meet your high standards ... :bobby:

Gregg

Pierre, howcome you didn't just etch the LED hole out during the photoetch process ??? ...

There is a good reason for this: I am lazy :thumbsup: The original drawing had the LED hole positionned on the lower face of the MFD housing. This was great for the front c/p MFD, but didn't work for the rear c/p MFDs. No space available there.

Since I wanted to keep my transfer drawings - printed on transparent acetate - I just filled in the original hole with a black marker. After the etch process I punched out the new hole on the rear face.

"Don't sweat the small stuff..."

:cheers:

Pierre

March 30, 2005

I needed something to hold my MFDs while soldering them, and prevent solder from leaking insike the box. Si I thought about milling a hold tool out of a rod of aluminum.

It was an interesting job, for a nice tool, but which was kinda inefficient: the heat produced by the soldering iron was convected away by the aluminum part :thumbsup: and I had much trouble getting a strong bond. Next time I will create my tool with a material that is not heat sensitive AND isolating. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9330_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9331_modifi__.JPG

Pierre, I think MDF would be a bad choice. Essentially, it's sawdust that's been glued together and if you start to cut it in 'intricate' shapes, it will probably crumble. Best bet is a solid piece of wood.

April 2, 2005 (cont.)

I added the displays (acetate + cardstock) and closed the boxes. A perfect soldering job, requiring only little polishing :thumbsup: I will now paint the boxes gray, and add the frames with all the tiny buttons to both front faces. A painful task ahead...

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9337_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9339_modifi__.JPG

Thanks Pierre. I'll have more photos as the final goodies are tidied up. Since the photo of the plumbing and wiring for the Fuel Scan were taken, the wiring has been properly bundled and the beast is awaiting its' first test flight.

With the increased horse power and other enhancements, it should really blow the fairings off of most of the Cessna 172s and Piper Cherokee Warriors out there... :thumbsup:

Barney

April 3, 2005

This morning I added the buttons to one of both MFD frames. Thanks to the jig I built for my first MFD, this task went without a glitch. I used Future to glue the buttons, as well as for attaching the frame to the MFD box.

Then I CA'd the right box into the rear cockpit panel. Et voilà, we have a beautiful HSI display :)

On the photo showing the backside, you can see that the LED is not yet pluged in. I would like the CA to fully cure before I do anything else.

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9340_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9341_modifi__.JPG

April 3, 2005

Building the second MFD frame. The first pic shows the jig I built with Tamiya tape (to stick the frame on) and white paper (to mark the position for the buttons). The black strip of paper serves as a "parking" for unglued buttons, so I can spot them easily. The razor blade is for an easy alignement of the buttons: once a row of 5 is in place, I gently push them up until they meet the blade. This guarantees a perfect alignement, and it shows off even when looking at the frame without a magnifying glass.

On the second pic, you can see how large a sharp toothpick is when compared to the buttons...

:)

Pierre

DSCN9343_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9342_modifi__.JPG