Pierre's Phantom F-4E Peace Icarus

Sorry Pierre, but wasn´t your original plan for this build to represent the a/c as just lift off the runway?

Anyway: the drag chute would be awsome!!!! Have you any idea of how to do it?

Right, this was the original plan. But the cockpits would have to be closed, which is a pitty :thumbsup: So I changed my minds...

I have currently no idea on how to build the chute. Maybe white-glue soaked tissue on a plaster positive?

Get some frabic, soak in PVA glue, put it to shape and then let dry to greaseproof paper!

whaa i gave the master advice woot woot woot

lol looking great man! !!!!!

CLAAANNNGGGGG !

That was the sound of my jaw dropping open.

Pierre, you are this close to bridging the gap between scale modeling and model engineering.

The guys have said it all. I cannot add any more, but please keep posting.

IJ.

Jan 16, 2005

I painted the bezels with a black permanent marker and glued them with CA. It was tricky to get the right alignments: CA is not much forgiving for misplaced parts :thumbsup:

I tried white glue, but the tiny drops dried so fast that they didn't stick anymore when I could find the part, get it into the twizers, lose it, search for it, curse, place it wrong, etc :soapbox: You get the picture...

Three panels are printed cardstock. I had to darken the sides, which were pure white after the cut. A marker was out of question: the ink would be suck up by the paper, and would have smeared the imprint. So I used a very soft gaphit pen (6B) and rubbed slightly the edges. This provides a nice "used" apparence.

One of the bezels popped away, ripping off a patch of gray paint from the panel. I won't fix it, it looks realistic too.

That's it for today's update. Have a good night :soapbox:

Pierre

DSCN9101_modifi__.JPG

Jan 17, 2005

I tried several options to add even spaced buttons to the MFD frame. CA wasn't appropriate, since I needed a lot of adjustment time. So I came up with this idea:

- build a jig, with Tamiya and low-tack masking paper, holding the frame

- mark the button positions

- cut even lenghted styrene strips for the push buttons

- grab my 10x magnification monocular

- glue the buttons with Future

The black strip is the "waiting room" for the buttons until I glue them. I lost many to the void... trust me, it is a Lilliput job! I am still not sure if the bond will be strong enough, but so far I am pleased with the result. I have to build THREE of them :taunt:

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9106_modifi__.JPG

Jan 18, 2005

My eyes need some urgent rest :o Look at the tiny buttons on the front MFD frame. I cannot imagine building smaller parts... I mounted each buton, one by one, with Future acting as transparent glue. I dipped each button deeply into the Future - the part is so tiny that only touching the Future liquid surface would not break the surface tension, and no Future would deposit on the plastic :bobby:

I am pleased with the result :D Only 2 more to build, but at a later stage.

Cheers for now,

Pierre

DSCN9107_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9109_modifi__.JPG

You're a nut my master :lol: :wave: I have Four 1/32 Revell Phantoms to build, I think I'm going to sell them at a roadside sale, for they will not be worthy of a build. Actually one of them is the White Horse, you have that one too don't you master. Are you going to outdo me one that one also master.

I think I'm going to take up butterfly collecting as a hobby.

Cheers :monkeydance:

Andy G

Jan 18, 2005

My eyes need some urgent rest :thumbsup: Look at the tiny buttons on the front MFD frame. I cannot imagine building smaller parts... I mounted each buton, one by one, with Future acting as transparent glue. I dipped each button deeply into the Future - the part is so tiny that only touching the Future liquid surface would not break the surface tension, and no Future would deposit on the plastic :thumbsup:

I am pleased with the result :wave: Only 2 more to build, but at a later stage.

Cheers for now,

Pierre

DSCN9107_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9109_modifi__.JPG

You missed a button! B)

Pierre, this may be a silly idea, but an idea. IF you needed to make those MFD buttons again, just add the buttons to the AutoCAD drawing of the MFD. When you etch the panel, You'll have holes in the right place, and you can just stick plastic rod through the holes, and have some excess on the back side. I bet you could even add the buttons before you fold it. It seems a little easier than using a magnifier and tweezers. You'll still have to tweeze the plastic rod, but I think it'd be a little easier. With an LED in there, you'd probably also get a cool "dull fiber-optic" effect through the plastic rod. Of course, that might be why you didn't do it in the first place.