Pierre's Phantom F-4E Peace Icarus

Jan 25, 2005

I have no such material as PC, so I go with what I have at hand for building the HUD. I cut out the original shroud, and built a HUD from scratch, except for the two triangular supports, which I borrowed from my spare box.

I painted the edges of the HUD glass panel with Tamiya transparent green, before dipping it into Future.

Looks convincing to me :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9153_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9160_modifi__.JPG

I suppose you don't have to use Polycarbonate material to do the "light-gathering" thing. You could use any clear plastic, but you'd want to make it reasonbly thick, so if you scratched anything into it, it wouldn't go right through the plastic. In the case of a LED-lit HUD, you could make a little part of the clear plastic that extends through the instrument panel, where you could illuminate it with a green LED that's out of the way.

By the way, Pierre, did you notice that you have a hair in your HUD? Just a teeny one under the bottom edge of the glass.

By the way, Pierre, did you notice that you have a hair in your HUD? Just a teeny one under the bottom edge of the glass...

Sharp eyes, uhh ? :thumbsup: Yes I saw it too, on the photo :thumbsup:

I will try various combinations for the light, because I need to share 1 LED between the HUD and the NAV box, mainly because of the lack of space for a more elaborated solution.

Pierre

Jan 26, 2005

Three photos with the mounted HUD and NAV box. The HED glass is temporarly unavailable: I sent it to the "hairdresser" to remove the nasty hair caught into the Future.

This time there is no more space left in the nose. At least I won't need to add a weight for the balance :wacko:

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9168_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9167_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9169_modifi__.JPG

... That looks freakin awesome.... whats your plan for the seat?

The pilot and RIO will be aboard, so most of the seat is not visible. I could use the kit seats, they would be fine with little additions to the seats' heads. Or I have Truescale seats, which are nicer, but somewhat a waste of quality.

I still haven't decided for sure whether I leave the canopies open or not (a/y on ground or flying). So at the moment I build ALL details, so I keep the "open" option.

Pierre

...how did you add the litle writing and orange circles by the butoons...

I am not sure to understand what you mean... The "writing" is text I drew on the panels with AutoCAD. The "circles" you mention are probably the orange check lamps. They are orange dots, illuminated from below with fibre optics.

HTH,

Pierre

Jan 27, 2005

Today I started the conversion of the rear cockpit. First I glued scratch plastic panels to the sides. Then I drilled the holes for the FOs into the side panels. The etched parts helped to precisely locate the position of the holes. Once the holes drilled, I discarded them.

I added some improvements to the rear c/p wall, and I cut out the front tub area, to give some space to the pilot's legs & feet. Revell didn't plan to have anybody sitting there, except a dwarf ;)

:thumbsup:

Pierre

DSCN9173_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9176_modifi__.JPG