Airbrush Cleaning - Badger 155

Hi

I have a Badger 155 Anthem, I'm just getting used to using it.

It's the first internal mix airbrush I have had and I'm wondering how far to go with cleaning it after use.

So far I'm using a clean jar & thinners and I spray it through until its clear. Then I wipe clean the bottom feed hole and the rest of the brush. I have only used it about six times or so, and have found it to be excelent, so I would like to keep it that way!

Should I strip it after each use? although this would seem a bit excessive.

Many thanks

Karl

In my opinion what you are doing is not enough. Atleast wipe clean the needle and check that the nozzle is completely clean (hold it up against a strong light). As you have the nozzle off, have a look that there is no paint visible within the airbrush. This is what I do each time I have used my Badger 100. After prolonged use I leave it to saok for a couple of days in alcohol.

Anders

I have had a Badger 150 for 12 years now. For my daily cleaning I wipe out the paint cup, wipe out the inlet to the brush with a bit of rolled up paper towel then flush it with a cleaner: Lacquer thinner for lacquers and enamels, Windex for acrylics. Then wipe it down again. Unscrew the head and wipe off the needle. Before the first use of the day I place a drop or two of Lacquer thinner into the chamber to act as a lubercant and to make sure that the needle is free so the gaskets do not take any wear or damage. Maybe once a month I will strip it down and soak it in a bowl of Chameleon Paint Stripper. Like I said, I've had this brush for 12 years and it still works great, I've replaced one teflon "O" ring (dropped it on the floor and couldn't find), two or three needles and one tip over that time period. I now also own a Badger 360 and have found that to be a superior airbrush. I still use the 150 for occasional jobs.

Swanny is right on. I have the same two airbrushes and clean them the same way, with one exception:

I soak a Q-Tip (PLEASE just use Q-Tip brand, none of the cheap ones), in thinners and shove it up (or down depending on the brush) the piant intake, roll it around while spraying. It picks up a lot of paint. Repeat a couple of times. Done.

Come on guys, get PRACTICAL!

Buy some carburetor cleaner (the one that comes in a rattle can) and forget about stripping the damned airbrush for cleaning.

Spray some of the stuff inside and it will clean it much better than any thinner, pipe cleaner or whatever you want.

HTH,

Ricardo-. ;)