Cessna Citation

THe US Military has some Gulfstream jets.

I know the Irish Air Force has a Gulfstream and a Lear 45

Most militarys have some sort of jet that is also in the civilian world.

Once I get home I will look up my Aviation Week & Space Tech Annual for last year. They list what aircraft the military has for many of the countries. Also says what biz jets they have.

Christopher :cheers:

The Citation Ultra / Encore is used by the US Military as UC-35A, B and C.

Available as a vacuform Citation V from Sanger in 1/72, but I don't know how good it is.

I've also seen Citation IIs used by the US Coast guard for hunting drug runners.

You coud make one out of the reboxed Hasegawa Citation once there are enough kits available.

Also, the C-21A is the military version of the Lear 35A.

Minicraft is working on a Gulfstream II, although I can't remember the scale of it. It may take another year before we even see it though.

As for the Navaid testing Jetstars, they were painted in SEA Camo in Nam (I believe with black bottoms instead of camo gray) and they did essentially fly combat missions as the VC took potshots at them from time to time while they were doing their Navaid testing flights (which involved flying repeated ILS approaches at specific speeds and altitudes around the airbases). It was certainly a critical mission one didn't often hear about.

Various biz jets have been used by the militaries of other countries as well. Even the venerable Lear has been used by the USAF as the C-21 and Offutt AFB used to use a couple for VIP transport. The C-21 has been offered in kit form by Hasegawa in 1/48 using their Lear 35A tooling.

Yeah that is an interesting picture (thanks for posting). Only references I read about the Jetstars had them in SEA Camo, but admittedly they didn't have a specific pic of a plane (which indeed seems to be from Nam, given the B-52D in the background). I must say, Lizard camo looks sort of putrid on a Jetstar. ;)

Question for you fella's what do you think the difficulty of combining 2 citation kits together to make a ultra/V or some of the larger citations? I dont have any info if you would have to increase the iwing area or not so any info would help I have a old hasegawa citation that I got off ebay and noe that revell is re-releasing the kit if it possible it might make into an easy conversion, thanks erick

Question for you fella's what do you think the difficulty of combining 2 citation kits together to make a ultra/V or some of the larger citations?

The only thing you could do combining two Citation I kits would be a Citation II, or maybe even a Bravo (totally different landing gear). But you would have to move the wing forward and add a section of the fuselage between wing and engines. If you take a look at the real thing, it looks much easier to do than it is on the one-part fuselage of the kit.

Besides that, you also have to scratchbuild engines with thrust reversers.

But I am going to do exactly that!

The Citation V/Ultra/Encore use the same fuselage (only extended) but have a different wing than the one of the Citation I and II.

If you want to try yourself with that, I'll send you some profile drawings.

:cheers: Hi all, picked up a Citation kit today, not a bad moulding, little flash on the white plastic, decals not very spectacular, biz jets from Denmark and Brazil. It says on the box info that there are two external wing tanks, but nothing on the sprue or on the building instructions. I suppose that I could turn it into a USAF VIP jet, or a 'what if' RAF fighter squadron 'hack'.

:cheers:

Robin.

Not sure if the US used the Citation as VIP transport.  I recall Lears, the JetStar, The Gulfstream, the Beech KingAir, but not the "slow-tation

Well, the Citation V is used as a VIP transport for the US Army. But there are no VIP Citation I or IIs.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/295053/L/

Robin: Is this the new Revell kit? The Citation never used external tanks. Only extended wingtips to carry more fuel. However, in the maintenance manual there are instructions for packing a parabrake chute. That should be interesting to see in real life...

:D Hi Lancer, thanks for the pics, that is one nice aircraft. If the only major difference is the length of the fuselage, would it be possible to build one of these using two kits. This is the Revell kit, which everone says is the old Hasegawa kit, and as I said, the moulding is still very nice. Obviously the remarks on the box about fuel tanks is a mis-print.

:blink:

Robin.

So it's released already! Have to get one, as long as it's still hot.

I just compared the Cessna 500 Citation I with the 550 Citation II...

A conversion might be harder than most of us (including myself) thought. To modify a 500 into a 550, you'll have to make the following changes: :bandhead2:

Insert fuselage plugs at the following locatons:

- between cockpit side window and cabin entry door (6" in real)

- aft of the cabin entry door (21.5")

- aft of the last window above wing (21.5")

You'll also have to extensively remodel the fuselage aft of the last fuselage plug, including the wing root in front of the aft cargo door.

Outboard of the ailerons, each wing is 18 inches (.375" in scale) longer, as compared to the 500 (might be long range tank conversion).

Also, the wing moved outboard 36 inches (.75 scale inches), resulting in the wheel well being not in the fuselage anymore.

CitationII.jpg

CitationII_wing.jpg

This is just the fuselage and wing. The engine nacelles with pylons are also different. :bandhead2:

• 1 year later...

Hey-

I was interested to see if it would be possible to build a UC-35 from the 1/48 Citation kit and a search turned up this thread. I thought I would drag it up and see if anyone persued this idea anywhere. Anyone? Are there any three-view type drawings of the UC-35 or Citation Encore available anywhere to be able to make a good comparison?

Thanks,

Phil

• 10 years later...

I have assembled the Hasegawa kit, and taken some measurements,

amazingly the airfoil (as measured with my Starrett height gauge) checks out as NACA 23014 !

that was very encouraging, but then...

the wing and fuselage are nearly identically long,

which means it would be a model of the Cessna Fanjet-500 rather than the Citation-I

which has a wing span larger than the fuselage length,

would anyone care to comment on this or any other observations ?

Also, I am thinking of using this model as reference for a fine-scale scratch-build RC airplane,

since the Royal/Marutaka Cessna Citation kit has been out of production for over a decade

and they very rarely show up on eBay and go for a king's ransom,

but I have noticed from photos of the plans that folks have shared with me that the Royal

fuselage is undersized diameter-wise compared to the Hasegawa kit,

can anyone confirm that the Hasegawa fuselage diameter is correctly scaled,

can anyone say for sure what the actual diameter of the real Cessna Citation-I (and II, and V,

which are just stretched -I's) is ?

thanks,

Peter A Lawrence.

Check out my Citation II project. On the seond post, I explain how to modify the wings for a correct Citation I or I/SP. The project stalled, but it is not dead.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/235467-148-cessna-550-conversion/

Having worked on classic Citations for over ten years, the fuselage looks about right to me, but I did not bother measuring the fuselage of the model. According to the Maintenance Manual, the cylindrical secton of the fuselage has a diameter of 64 inches. I've put a measuring tape around a Citation V's fuselage and it was off by less than 1/2 inch. So I guess the 64" are pretty much spot on.

EDIT:

Now you've got me intrigued! I just measured the model with a string wrapped around the fuselage. The length of the string was then measured with a ruler. The outside fuselage circumference of the model is very close to the original dimensions.

Edited by Lancer512

Lancer,

really appreciate the link to your Citation-II conversion project.

I've been wondering how to get in contact with a Cessna maintenance person for real dimension information, but here in the USA airport security makes that nearly impossible :-) !!!

your project leads me to the question - when did the wing get lowered, btwn Fanjet-500 and Citation-I, btwn Citation-I and Citation-II, or some time else ?

I am hoping you can confirm or correct these dimensions I have scoured the internet for:

Fanjet/Citation I/II/S-II/V all have same 64" diameter fuselage with various stretch extensions (info thanks to you)

only Fanjet has ventral fin (info thanks to you)

the S-II and V have totally different airfoil (supercritical) and wing planform (root leading edge extension, aka double taper), so I'm not considering them further

Fanjet-500 has 43'-9" wing span,  Citation-I has 18" tip extensions (47'-1"), Citation-II has 36" root extensions and 18" tip extensions (52'-3")

wing dihedral 4-deg, tail dihedral 9-deg

wing incidence ???,   engine incidence ???,  tail incidence ???

engine nacelle diameter ??? (top view, i.e. excluding bulge for starter and oil sump), guesstimation from Hasegawa kit gives ~ 30"

according to some internet sources the overall height from -500 to -I went from 14'-3" to 15'-0", is this correct ?

and if so where did the the difference come from (landing gear, wing placement, actual tail change, or some combination) ?

many thanks in advance,

Peter A Lawrence.

Lancer,

I found some helpful photos of a Citation-II that was for sale at  

http://www.ridgeaire.com/products.php?id=65

it is clear that the engine pylons are at the same dihedral as the wing,

and viewed from the bottom the flaps have the same chord as the ailerons,

I'd really like to see the flaps up close and in person some day.

even though for my RC model I will probably use Robart hinges (with the hinge point below the wing/flap,

so it won't be faithful in that respect)

I am still curious what the flap extension mechanism is on the full size

Peter